The Student Room Group

question on grade requirements??

hey, ive seen recently that some unis offer AAB-ABB grade requirements, so obviously they must sometimes offer AAB, sometimes ABB. what affects their choice in what they offer to each person? if they like you more, will they offer you ABB?
Original post by EmergencyBagels
hey, ive seen recently that some unis offer AAB-ABB grade requirements, so obviously they must sometimes offer AAB, sometimes ABB. what affects their choice in what they offer to each person? if they like you more, will they offer you ABB?

That can sometimes be the case, I think :smile: you'll also often get the lower offer if you come from a low achieving school :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Yeah, typically school background can play a part. The other thing to think about is subjects - sometimes they're more willing to give a lower offer with three very relevant subjects, versus someone doing maybe only one or two with something irrelevant or 'soft'. You could speak to the admissions to check if that's the case, it will depend on course though as not all courses have subjects that tie in directly.
Reply 3

Certain subjects may be more suitable than others for a particular course, and so this can play a part in determining which offer is given.

Universities may also make contextual offers. This is when they take into account the educational context in which grades have been achieved. So for example if you are from a very poorly performing school this may be taken into account when making you an offer.

Their offer mainly depends on the educational background for a particular applicant. Saying that, they're most likely to give you an ABB offer because that is the lowest entry requirements for that year. Majority of the applicants given conditional offers of ABB, will most likely achieve higher grades. An AAB offer may be given to, for example, a retake applicant, or an applicant who has not taken a required AS-level therefore has to compensate for it etc.
Original post by _Constantine_
Their offer mainly depends on the educational background for a particular applicant. Saying that, they're most likely to give you an ABB offer because that is the lowest entry requirements for that year. Majority of the applicants given conditional offers of ABB, will most likely achieve higher grades. An AAB offer may be given to, for example, a retake applicant, or an applicant who has not taken a required AS-level therefore has to compensate for it etc.

Not true. The standard offer is most likely to be the higher; the lower will be for those from poor schools, disadvantaged backgrounds etc.
Original post by ageshallnot
Not true. The standard offer is most likely to be the higher; the lower will be for those from poor schools, disadvantaged backgrounds etc.

Like I said it depends on the educational background. The reason to why they would be giving out (mostly) standard ABB offers is because the entry requirements would be mainly attracting those students predicted to achieve ABB (hence why I said majority). Also students predicted AAB may actually end up with ABB so therefore for AAB students this might be one of their insurance choice. Also depending on the number of applications the university receives, you'll find that those who missed AAB offers, may still get a place with ABB. So I think you'll find that the standard offer would be ABB (but obviously this depends on the individual).
(edited 9 years ago)
Like I said it depends on the educational background. The reason to why they would be giving out (mostly) standard ABB offers is because the entry requirements would be mainly attracting those students predicted to achieve ABB (hence why I said majority). Also students predicted AAB may actually end up with ABB so therefore for AAB students this might be one of their insurance choice. Also depending on the number of applications the university receives, you'll find that those who missed AAB offers, may still get a place with ABB. So I think you'll find that the standard offer would be ABB (but obviously this depends on the individual).

That's really not how it works

Either a university will offer AAB or ABB based on the predicted grades of the applicant.

OR they'll offer AAB to most applicants but ABB to special circumstances/partner schemes/disadvantaged backgrounds/particular subject mixes.

It is unheard of for a university to have a stated offer range of AAB/ABB and give out mostly ABB offers.

Universities do NOT want to be picked as insurance. Why offer ABB and be put as insurance when you can offer AAB and be put as firm.
Original post by PQ
That's really not how it works

Either a university will offer AAB or ABB based on the predicted grades of the applicant.

OR they'll offer AAB to most applicants but ABB to special circumstances/partner schemes/disadvantaged backgrounds/particular subject mixes.

It is unheard of for a university to have a stated offer range of AAB/ABB and give out mostly ABB offers.

Universities do NOT want to be picked as insurance. Why offer ABB and be put as insurance when you can offer AAB and be put as firm.

Like I've mentioned it depends on certain things. And yes you're correct about what they'll offer and the fact that they do not want to be insurance. BUT the point I was trying to make is that this course is 'likely' to attract mostly ABB candidates therefore mostly be given ABB offers compared to AAB.

Of-course the range AAB-ABB is there for a reason. I know of a course at my friends uni which range is AAA-BBB. Nearly all of (+90%) the of the candidates get offers of BBB even-though most end up with AAA or better. I know many friends who are capable of A*A*A* who still applied to this course and had offers of BBB.

Again I reiterate, the offer will obviously be conditional upon the particular individual and his/her background. For example those that got AAA offers was because they re-took their A-levels, or because they were mature students and this was only 1 or two out of the year etc etc. I'm talking from experience here PQ, esp after being through tons of UCAS/Uni apps.

"Universities do NOT want to be picked as insurance." A bit obvious but unfortunately that's something they sometimes can't avoid.

"It is unheard of for a university to have a stated offer range of AAB/ABB and give out mostly ABB offers." Not getting my point. Mostly ABB offers because there's likely to be more ABB candidates. Also I think its INCORRECT for you to say unheard of especially when it depends if the course has special requirements.

(edited 9 years ago)
The reason to why they would be giving out (mostly) standard ABB offers is because the entry requirements would be mainly attracting those students predicted to achieve ABB (hence why I said majority).

That is a huge assumption on your part. Or do you have figures to back it up?

Of-course the range AAB-ABB is there for a reason. I know of a course at my friends uni which range is AAA-BBB. Nearly all of (+90%) the of the candidates get offers of BBB even-though most end up with AAA or better. I know many friends who are capable of A*A*A* who still applied to this course and had offers of BBB.

Again I reiterate, the offer will obviously be conditional upon the particular individual and his/her background. For example those that got AAA offers was because they re-took their A-levels, or because they were mature students and this was only 1 or two out of the year etc etc. I'm talking from experience here PQ, esp after being through tons of UCAS/Uni apps.

Out of interest, which is the course/uni that has an AAA-BBB range. Is it Scottish?

I see you have been through tons of uni applications. Are you an admissions tutor/assistant? A teacher?

Like I've mentioned it depends on certain things. And yes you're correct about what they'll offer and the fact that they do not want to be insurance. BUT the point I was trying to make is that this course is 'likely' to attract mostly ABB candidates therefore mostly be given ABB offers compared to AAB.

"Universities do NOT want to be picked as insurance." A bit obvious but unfortunately that's something they sometimes can't avoid.

"It is unheard of for a university to have a stated offer range of AAB/ABB and give out mostly ABB offers." Not getting my point. Mostly ABB offers because there's likely to be more ABB candidates. Also I think its INCORRECT for you to say unheard of especially when it depends if the course has special requirements.

Sorry Constantine I would also disagree with parts of what you say.
Universities will usually have a standard offer and a slightly lower contextual offer. Example as previously stated AAB as standard and ABB as contextual. The majority of candidates will fit into the standard offer and the degree would therefore attract mostly AAB candidates.
There are of course occasions where a university may ask for a higher offer than even the standard when a candidate has re taken a year or they are offering an unusual mix of A levels for the particular degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending