The Student Room Group

Personal Statement: How to end one?

Hi - so from what I've seen - most people go for a fairly large 'rounding-off' sentence to conclude their UCAS personal statements.

"With my skills, knowledge and desire I hope to continue to study..."

Zzzzzzzzz

What do you think is the best way to end one? Just like that? Or perhaps, as I'm considering, just finish after making your last point... in other words, have no conclusion at all, and just stop? It could sound more serious / professional perhaps..?

So yeah... please let me know what you think!
(edited 9 years ago)
For my PhD statement I had something like the generic quote you had but I made sure I condensed it down.

With my skills in x, y, z, my bla bla of whatever I am confident I will be a positive contribution to bla bla.

I mean it was slightly better than that but you get the point...

edit: Sorry that was crap. So basically you want to say everything you said in the previous 95% of the statement in the last 5% but by SHOWING how you did all of that and how very, very precisely it will mean something for the course and the university.
(edited 9 years ago)
With a full stop.
(edited 9 years ago)
My course is more vocational but I went with something along the lines of "Finally, I feel that by progressing to *qualification* I will improve my career options and give myself an even greater opportunity to develop the skills and attributes needed to work in my chosen field"

You should round it off in some way really. To me no conclusion says "I didn't know what to say" more than "I am very serious and professional"
Yeah, I think most personal statements need to end with a 'rounding up' sentence, or it might seem like it's not really finished and you didn't put the thought and re reading in and effort to finish it I guess. It just makes it seem a more complete piece of work. Anyway, my last sentence was 'As a hardworking and conscientious student, I hope to bring my enthusiasm and commitment to this fascinating subject. I believe I am a suitable candidate as my determination to succeed combined with a love for the subject will help me to achieve in university.'
and I got 5 offers.
I'd definitely go with the end sentence rather than just ending, it can be very brief so it doesn't use up your words but it does make it sound better IMO.
Original post by BestProfileName
For my PhD statement I had something like the generic quote you had but I made sure I condensed it down.

With my skills in x, y, z, my bla bla of whatever I am confident I will be a positive contribution to bla bla.

I mean it was slightly better than that but you get the point...

edit: Sorry that was crap. So basically you want to say everything you said in the previous 95% of the statement in the last 5% but by SHOWING how you did all of that and how very, very precisely it will mean something for the course and the university.

I might end up doing one now. Hard to make an original one though! Thanks for your advice. What's your PhD based around?
Original post by xOHarriet
My course is more vocational but I went with something along the lines of "Finally, I feel that by progressing to *qualification* I will improve my career options and give myself an even greater opportunity to develop the skills and attributes needed to work in my chosen field"

You should round it off in some way really. To me no conclusion says "I didn't know what to say" more than "I am very serious and professional"

I see your point. Thanks! Will definitely consider one now. Sadly though I have 4770 characters haha so the hardest part is yet to come...
Original post by waxfilledtin
Yeah, I think most personal statements need to end with a 'rounding up' sentence, or it might seem like it's not really finished and you didn't put the thought and re reading in and effort to finish it I guess. It just makes it seem a more complete piece of work. Anyway, my last sentence was 'As a hardworking and conscientious student, I hope to bring my enthusiasm and commitment to this fascinating subject. I believe I am a suitable candidate as my determination to succeed combined with a love for the subject will help me to achieve in university.'
and I got 5 offers.
I'd definitely go with the end sentence rather than just ending, it can be very brief so it doesn't use up your words but it does make it sound better IMO.

Think I've been convinced now. Well done on all 5 offers! Need to work on something a bit unique. Thanks for your help!
Reply 8
Im going to study Law and i just finished mine off with something generic. Along the lines of wanting to achieve in law and being passionate about it. I feel the start is a lot more important than the end as it draws their attention.

Got 5 offers, 2 of which were unconditional so i must have done something right :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by K1996s
Im going to study Law and i just finished mine off with something generic. Along the lines of wanting to achieve in law and being passionate about it. I feel the start is a lot more important than the end as it draws their attention.

Got 5 offers, 2 of which were unconditional so i must have done something right :P

That's cool. I agree about the ending, my start is nailed and they must get sick of reading the generic stuff, which is why I proposed this idea... it's likely I'll still round it off though.
Reply 10
Original post by The Room Student
That's cool. I agree about the ending, my start is nailed and they must get sick of reading the generic stuff, which is why I proposed this idea... it's likely I'll still round it off though.

True I suppose its always good to have something unique. I guess if they're a bit on the fence by the end of it and it has a nice, well rounded and unique ending it could sway their opinion.
Then I woke up and it was all a dream
Smoke some weed and write your ending, if you get high it might make your ending more interesting lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending