The Student Room Group

Things that annoy you in the gym

Scroll to see replies

Original post by keturah
When a stranger tells you their life story when you're trying to work out.

I can relate to this!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's called working in.
There's a couple of things:
- when people don't bring towels or use the paper towel that's provided at the gym to wipe their sweat down from the equipment they've just used.. I had this problem the other day when I went to the gym and I went on a cross trainer and it was packed and it was the only thing available left to use and when I touched it, words cannot describe how vile it was ahah. Luckily I bring my own towels
-when people 'save' a piece of equipment next to them for a 'friend' even though that person doesn't turn up and it was just them being awkward and not wanting to have someone to work out next to them
-when people tell you their life stories whilst you're working out and then they compare them to you and if they look 'fitter' than you they make you feel down on yourself because they're 'amazing' I had this problem the other day and it made me feel so down on myself even though it shouldn't have but it did so yeah
- and finally just when people chill and don't bother with the gym and just sit on a piece of equipment and not let people who actually want to do it, use it.. I understand if you're not the one participating in the exercise but there should be somewhere else for you to go.. At my gym there's a table and chair that you can sit on if you're not actually working out and I think it's a great idea personally haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
"How many sets do you have left?"
"I have two more left, okay?"
"Cool."
*Does 5 sets, brings along his two other friends who also do 5 sets each.*
Its more when people make statuses on FB saying they are going to the gym like "look at me, I'm going to exercise for half an hour and I'm gonna be so buff" then 6 hrs late make a status saying they are getting a takeaway lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yasmin25
Its more when people make statuses on FB saying they are going to the gym like "look at me, I'm going to exercise for half an hour and I'm gonna be so buff" then 6 hrs late make a status saying they are getting a takeaway lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're clearly bulking :tongue:

srs, I eat chips after my workout for some easy calories.
Original post by IanDangerously
I find people who sit on stationary bikes reading a book a bit vapid. I mean I suppose you only need your legs to do it but it just looks lazy.

Mind you it doesn't bother me really if people do bizarre things as long as it doesn't distract me, I just find it odd.

sounds a good idea to me. why be bored staring at a wall when you can immerse yourself in a good book instead.

Self righteous people who think they can tell/moan/privately seethe others what to do instead of minding thier own business. gyms are boring enough without that as well. Just live and let live

Their subscription, their exercise, their choice.

Oh and no i dont lift brah
Original post by tehforum
They're clearly bulking :tongue:

srs, I eat chips after my workout for some easy calories.

Das gooood mane, Real geeewd.

Original post by Student10000
I can relate to this!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

One guy recently told me I was the first girl he's talked to since splitting up with his controlling psycho ex. I couldn't get away haha.
Groups of friends (usually noobs who look like they've never lifted) who use the gym as social gatherings, talking way too much and way too loud, no routine set out, jumping from machine to machine doing **** all and giggling all the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When guys offer to help me with quite literally everything, adjusting my bench, getting more dumbells for me... sigh. You'd never hear that offer from a man to a teenage guy.

Also, when it's obvious people aren't trying. People walking and texting on the treadmill, or lifting like 1kg dumbells in the corner while chatting to mates... just do what you came here for please.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
All the jumped up chavs on steroids who think they own the place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Girls who prance around in little matching hot pants and sports bra combos, with clearly never worn nikes, perfectly straightened hair and a full face of makeup. Or even worse, girls who do this then MOAN when guys approach them or stare. Basically they want attention, but not from just anyone.

It gives female gym goers a bad name, not all of us are there to try and pick up men.
People who use a bench to put all their crap on, but never actually use it
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Girls who prance around in little matching hot pants and sports bra combos, with clearly never worn nikes, perfectly straightened hair and a full face of makeup. Or even worse, girls who do this then MOAN when guys approach them or stare. Basically they want attention, but not from just anyone.

It gives female gym goers a bad name, not all of us are there to try and pick up men.

This! I mean if you're honestly more comfortable in a sports bra, fair enough. But seriously what's wrong with some leggings and a tshirt or vest top?

Bad form also annoys me :tongue:
Original post by xOHarriet
Guys who work out in fleeces/coats etc. I get that they're trying to sweat off weight but god it looks stupid, and surly it's just water weight anyway :s

I may have done this more than once...

I sail a lot and the class of boat I race on has a combined crew weight limit, and we often find ourselves 10kg or so over a few days before a regatta. So everybody wraps themselves in clingfilm, puts on their thermals and waterproofs and then goes mental in the gym for as long as possible. :headfire: Once you've been weighed then you're safe, so it only has to work for a few hours.
Original post by keturah
One guy recently told me I was the first girl he's talked to since splitting up with his controlling psycho ex. I couldn't get away haha.

Hahaha, i'm sure he had other intentions!
Original post by marinajelly
When guys offer to help me with quite literally everything, adjusting my bench, getting more dumbells for me... sigh. You'd never hear that offer from a man to a teenage guy.

Also, when it's obvious people aren't trying. People walking and texting on the treadmill, or lifting like 1kg dumbells in the corner while chatting to mates... just do what you came here for please.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This made me laugh haha. Use them as your PT! :biggrin:

I often see people reading while on a bike, that annoys me too!
Original post by Student10000
This made me laugh haha. Use them as your PT! :biggrin:

I often see people reading while on a bike, that annoys me too!

It's obvious they're more interested in other things than correcting my form...

Posted from TSR Mobile
When people lift weights like this:

HNnnnnNNGGHGUURRRRrgghhhHHHHH!

*rest*

HHHhhuuurrRGGGHNNNnggggGGG!!!!!

*rest*

HHRRrrrrrrNggggGHGHHHHHHHH!!!!

*rest*

HHHHiiiiiihhnNNNNNHGGHHRHRRRGHHHH!!

*drops weight*

:wtf:

Gives me the creeps