The Student Room Group

My gf lied to me about being a Muslim...should I dump her?

Met this girl in classes and she's really cute and smart. The thing is over the past few years, she got pissed off with being Muslim but still considers herself such. She just doesn't wear a hijab that often, or pray five times a day everyday, etc.

When I met her she said she didn't care much about religion, but then as it was Ramadan lately I saw her wearing a hijab and I got annoyed. She said she was sorry, but then she hasn't lied about anything else. Just I don't get why she would lie.

Scroll to see replies

As a Muslim convert to Christianity I would not be too keen to tell anyone and I might even lie about it - such an admission could cost me my life - and I am not that keen to die just yet..
Don't misunderstand. I am not an ex-Muslim and admitting you were would not only have repercussions for you but also your family. So be careful how you judge such.
(edited 9 years ago)
meh, great start to the relationship
Reply 3
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
As a Muslim convert to Christianity I would not be too keen to tell anyone and I might even lie about it - such an admission could cost me my life - and I am not that keen to die just yet..
Don't misunderstand. I am not an ex-Muslim and admitting you were would not only have repercussions for you but also your family. So be careful how you judge such.

But I wouldn't kill my gf, nor tell her family.
Reply 4
I wouldn't judge her. Sometimes people find a need to lie; religion can be a very touchy subject in someones family. How about asking her how she thinks her parents would react if she told them she wasn't really a devout Muslim? Just try asking her why she lied, none of us know the proper circumstances.
Reply 5
Original post by 29Bilal96
meh, great start to the relationship

No I Think you should keep her!!!!
Maybe she's just not sure about her stance on religion. She could be having doubts and sometimes she might feel like 'right I'm done' but other times she may feel like praying or something. She may not have been lying then.

Didn't get this at all....So you are not an ex muslim but you are a Muslim convert to Christianity? huh? Isn't that contradictory?

Unrelated; you're really into TVD right? Have you watched that clip they showed at comic con?
No because she obviously thought you would judge a person based on their religion before actually getting to know them.

She obviously thought you were shallow enough to not date her for that reason alone and she was right.

You're lucky to get a quite clearly freely thinking intelligent girlfriend, think yourself lucky before you lose quite possibly the best thing that's ever happened to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FishLover
Maybe she's just not sure about her stance on religion. She could be having doubts and sometimes she might feel like 'right I'm done' but other times she may feel like praying or something. She may not have been lying then.

Didn't get this at all....So you are not an ex muslim but you are a Muslim convert to Christianity? huh? Isn't that contradictory?

Unrelated; you're really into TVD right? Have you watched that clip they showed at comic con?

Nope post it on my wall plz.

Miss Damon :/

Think she's being hypothetical
Reply 10
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
No because she obviously thought you would judge a person based on their religion before actually getting to know them.

She obviously thought you were shallow enough to not date her for that reason alone and she was right.

You're lucky to get a quite clearly freely thinking intelligent girlfriend, think yourself lucky before you lose quite possibly the best thing that's ever happened to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

so lying is acceptable? OK...got it..
Original post by h3isenberg
Think she's being hypothetical

It wasn't very clear in her post. Meh. Its not important, I guess
Nope post it on my wall plz.

Miss Damon :/

Laters. Using my phone atm :biggrin:

Ah. I would never pick sides even though Damon's fit face tempts me to. Hmph..
It wasn't very clear in her post. Meh. Its not important, I guess

Laters. Using my phone atm :biggrin:

Ah. I would never pick sides even though Damon's fit face tempts me to. Hmph..

Stelena is epic.

I prefer Datherine but yknow what happened with that..
Original post by kimolozen
so lying is acceptable? OK...got it..

Everyone lies, this one obviously wasn't a malicious lie.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Everyone lies, this one obviously wasn't a malicious lie.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you think lying is good, well good for you....I don't think lying is acceptable in relationships....and you were aggressive to me by presuming I judge people on the basis of their religion, so I'll be aggressive back lol...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, this is such a ridiculous post.
Reply 16
Met this girl in classes and she's really cute and smart. The thing is over the past few years, she got pissed off with being Muslim but still considers herself such. She just doesn't wear a hijab that often, or pray five times a day everyday, etc.

When I met her she said she didn't care much about religion, but then as it was Ramadan lately I saw her wearing a hijab and I got annoyed. She said she was sorry, but then she hasn't lied about anything else. Just I don't get why she would lie.

Who cares? Maybe her mum and dad made her wear it. Are you a Muslim? If so, will you not date anyone unless they're a Muslim? If so, grow up and open your eyes. Seriously though, why are you annoyed? Did she offend Allah? Lol people are really delusional these days.
Reply 17
Original post by C-Rooney
Who cares? Maybe her mum and dad made her wear it. Are you a Muslim? If so, will you not date anyone unless they're a Muslim? If so, grow up and open your eyes. Seriously though, why are you annoyed? Did she offend Allah? Lol people are really delusional these days.

er...lol....I can't say if she offended Allah. I just don't tolerate deceit, that's all.
Reply 18
er...lol....I can't say if she offended Allah. I just don't tolerate deceit, that's all.

Well you're in for a big shock because I can guarantee you that everyone lies, even you. I read somewhere that successful marriages are based on lies. So yeah, good luck in life lol.
Reply 19
And I "read" somewhere that relationships rely on trust...but then yeah, justify your lying to others/sociopathy, i don't have to care lol..

Sociopathy? Lol. What has your girlfriends religion got to do with you anyway? You seem possessive and controlling. Also, asking a bunch of strangers whether you should finish with your girlfriend? That's low.

Latest