The Student Room Group

What would you do if you won £150 million?

As you are now, what would go through your mind if you won that kind of money? What would you do it first? Take the lump sum? Take the money anonymously?
Buy a house?
Tell your family?
Pay off your debts?
What would be your plan?
I really want to know people's thought process involving stuff like this:colondollar:

- - - - - :biggrin:Read further if you want to know what I'll do with the money, (long)- - - - -

For me, I'd take a few days to think about things and not tell anyone not even my mum. I'd get a lawyer and an accountant to help me plan out my finical future then go and take the lump sump money, even though the is a I think is a 50% deduction of tax of your winning, so it would be £75 million (that's still a lot better than having to wait a year to get my next payment).

- I'll tell my mum. My mum only. I would give my family money only by having this elaborate scheme that the money was from a distant & recently deceased relative. So the rest of the family will never know its me, therefore stop them from asking me for money.

- Buy my mum her dream house and car. Set aside 2 million for her & her debts(?), I'd also throw in another 300k for raising me
- Set aside 1 million for my sister & little brother only accessed when they reach 21 and can only get the money if they have a degree and are working full time. Payment stops if they quit their jobs within 2 years of receiving money so they don't end up eating away the money. Actually if they are unemployed payment stops altogether, so they only ever get the money if they are working.
- set another 1.5mill for my cousin and her family
- set aside £800000 for my grandma (only because she's old and she'll be living with mum so she doesn't need all the moolah)
-Then another 1.5 million for the rest of my family (it will be shared between them)...
Erm I think that's it, for family.

That would be =£8,330,00 including the house and car. Adding unexpected payments/taxes, holidays and presents I'll round the number to million
=£10mill

So that would leave me with 65 million...
That's a lot of money, naturally I would put half of the money in high interest accounts and investments, stock market and property.
Allow myself to have a budget of 20k yearly (until I finish uni), go to uni (since I'm only 18) get my degree, lol I'd have to cancel my student finance application. I was thinking taking year out for travelling but travelling for a whole year I would become lazy and complacent that I would rather live off the money so in that case I would a get a job. So I don't get bored with my life.

General Fun stuff;

I'd buy a range rover & a escalade
Buy a apartment in Manchester city centre
Live in New York for a year
Go grocery shopping
Gift my two friends with a car (with that distance relative charade)
Visit Japan and china
Go to every restaurant and food outlet in Manchester and try new foods
Hire a Personal trainer
Fly in first class
Get my teeth fixed
Buy a mac book pro 15 inch with retina display
Purchase half of the outfits I've pinned on my pinterest board
scuba diving in hawaii
Have a huge family reunion
Find out who is struggling financially and pay of their debts max 5 families with £50k debt
Meet Foster the People and follow them on their tour

***Fantasy over***

lol that's all I could think of right now, if you bothered reading, thanks!:smile:

Scroll to see replies

The first thing id do is hand my notice in at my job. Id take great delight in doing that.
Give my mum everything she wants and deserves, buy myself a decent house and car but nothing too big or flashy, possibly a small light aircraft, and then give the rest away.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by GoatsInATree
As you are now, what would go through your mind if you won that kind of money? What would you do it first? Take the lump sum? Take the money anonymously?
Buy a house?
Tell your family?
Pay off your debts?
What would be your plan?
I really want to know people's thought process involving stuff like this:colondollar:

- - - - - :biggrin:Read further if you want to know what I'll do with the money, (long)- - - - -

For me, I'd take a few days to think about things and not tell anyone not even my mum. I'd get a lawyer and an accountant to help me plan out my finical future then go and take the lump sump money, even though the is a I think is a 50% deduction of tax of your winning, so it would be £75 million (that's still a lot better than having to wait a year to get my next payment).

- I'll tell my mum. My mum only. I would give my family money only by having this elaborate scheme that the money was from a distant & recently deceased relative. So the rest of the family will never know its me, therefore stop them from asking me for money.

- Buy my mum her dream house and car. Set aside 2 million for her & her debts(?), I'd also throw in another 300k for raising me
- Set aside 1 million for my sister & little brother only accessed when they reach 21 and can only get the money if they have a degree and are working full time. Payment stops if they quit their jobs within 2 years of receiving money so they don't end up eating away the money. Actually if they are unemployed payment stops altogether, so they only ever get the money if they are working.
- set aside £800000 for my grandma (only because she's old and she'll be living with mum so she doesn't need all the moolah)
-Then another 1.5 million for the rest of my family (it will be shared between them)...

That would be =£8,330,00 including the house and car. Adding unexpected payments/taxes, holidays and presents I'll round the number to million
=£10mill

That's a lot of money, naturally I would put half of the money in high interest accounts and investments, stock market and property.
Allow myself to have a budget of 20k yearly (until I finish uni), go to uni (since I'm only 18) get my degree, lol I'd have to cancel my student finance application. I was thinking taking year out for travelling but travelling for a whole year I would become lazy and complacent that I would rather live off the money so in that case I would a get a job. So I don't get bored with my life.

General Fun stuff;

Go grocery shopping
Visit Japan and china
Hire a Personal trainer
Fly in first class
Get my teeth fixed
scuba diving in hawaii
Find out who is struggling financially and pay of their debts max 5 families with £50k debt

***Fantasy over***

lol that's all I could think of right now, if you bothered reading, thanks!:smile:

Buy a gaming laptop and a new car. Pay my parents debts and give mother brother and father a chunk of money each. Then I'd just buy all the tech and video games I actually want. Buy a flat and save the rest. Basically, I'd still be very, very rich.
I'll buy a loads of sh*t
Pay off the mortgage on the house we live in

Buy my parents a nice house (~£1m)

Buy myself a nice house (~£1m)

With the rest of the £148m, buy 700 houses outright at £200k each, and rent them out.

With the remaining £8m, I would get an Aston Martin DB9 (dream car :tongue:) and put the rest in the bank.

Happy days! :biggrin:
Go travelling
Buy a house
Buy a car
Share a decent amount with family and close friends
Original post by GoatsInATree
Buy a house?
Tell your family?
Pay off your debts?
What would be your plan?

=£10mill

General Fun stuff;

Go grocery shopping
Visit Japan and china
Hire a Personal trainer
Fly in first class
Get my teeth fixed
scuba diving in hawaii

***Fantasy over***

lol at your 20k a year. And the rest :wink:
Have a ****ing party! :party2:
I'd finally be able to buy popcorn when I go to the cinema.
Original post by 24 A Stars
I'll buy a loads of sh*t

You. I like you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thegodofgod
Pay off the mortgage on the house we live in

Buy my parents a nice house (~£1m)

Buy myself a nice house (~£1m)

With the rest of the £148m, buy 700 houses outright at £200k each, and rent them out.

With the remaining £8m, I would get an Aston Martin DB9 (dream car :tongue:) and put the rest in the bank.

Happy days! :biggrin:

Have you woken up yet??
Original post by 24 A Stars
Have you woken up yet??

Why, what's up? :tongue:
Reply 13
After all the important stuff like parents mortgage and house for me, a fund for my brother and sister a house, helping a few mates out I'd have no doubt I'd get flashy and I see no shame in that. I would want the aspirational possessions I couldn't previously afford but always wanted to have. I'm pretty sure there'd be a hefty sum left which I'd happily save for my future and lone behold if I had kids, theirs too. I'd still want to work though I think, lack of goals in life really causes me problems.
Start a cult called The Naked Vixens.
Set up a nice sanctuary for endangered and neglected animals
Treat my mum to a new car
Spoil my parents, grandparents and brother
A few million would go to charity
Go to the Antarctic peninsula
Travel around the world
Get myself a nice house
Buy all the Harry Potter merchandise I can get my hands on :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Give it to charity
Reply 17
- Give parents a few million so they can have fancy holidays and a couple of homes
- Then I'd get myself a yacht and crew, constantly treat my closest friends to holidays etc.
- Shopping spree for clothes, shoes, bags (obvs)
- Buy a top floor apartment in New York (those ones with the huge windows and views to die for)
- Beach house in Malibu or something to visit with friends & throw awesome parties even if I didn't know who for
- Spend lots on just travelling around all over the world, just living in hotels/hostels (Both cheap and expensive, I wouldn't get all snobby, I'd still go backpacking and stuff)
- Buy an island or two that I can conserve
- Probably buy a hotel or build & design a few to keep me busy (really cool locations+ environmentally friendly +/ profits to charities - I feel this would interest a lot of people to stay here too)
- Put some in the bank so I'll get enough interest that I'll never have to work. (Probably buy up homes to rent out/certain businesses that interest me) (50 million = 1 million interest a year I think) Then a lot of this interest can go back into funding charities
- Give the rest to charities/ good natured investments (I'd do a lot of researching and try to give a bit to each, maybe help with advertisements and stuff

So yeah, a lot basically but I'd feel really guilty for being pollutant with all the travelling and 2 homes :frown:

I'd be mainly focused on how to improve the world via charities I think and which ways best to do it, throwing parties for rich people and charities to mix, advertisements, directly investing etc

Very difficult to know what would happen to friends.. like would you give them money? Let them work for you? I'd probably offer for them to work for me and give them nice bonuses and stuff but idk
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hachik0
Give it to charity

I would definitely set up a charitable trust and fund it with the first £140M.

I'd be OK with £10M.
I'd enjoy finding out.

Quick Reply

Latest