The Student Room Group

Can a school keep your results from you?

My Secondary School has decided to threaten all of its pupils by saying that if we don't hand our books in and get a sheet signed by each teacher, we cannot obtain our results. Any of them.

Can our school ACTUALLY do this or is it quite literally just a threat? I mean, I think it is because it's illegal for you not to be in school after year eleven to the age of 18 (now it is) and results are normally what gains you a place at sixth or college.

If it's your opinion please state but if you actually KNOW for a fact, then say so as well. Thanks.

So, can they do this?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JayJay-C19
My Secondary School has decided to threaten all of its pupils by saying that if we don't hand our books in and get a sheet signed by each teacher, we cannot obtain our results. Any of them.

Can our school ACTUALLY do this or is it quite literally just a threat? I mean, I think it is because it's illegal for you not to be in school after year eleven to the age of 18 (now it is) and results are normally what gains you a place at sixth or college.

If it's your opinion please state but if you actually KNOW for a fact, then say so as well. Thanks.

So, can they do this?

No, that's got to be bull****. Even if they did you could just request them off the exam board, which also makes me think they wouldn't be allowed because if you needed to request priority remarks and they refused to give you your results, you could miss out on college or university places.
That's what my school said they'd do :ahee: I doubt they'd be able to do that anyway
Reply 3
Original post by MidnightDream
That's what my school said they'd do :ahee: I doubt they'd be able to do that anyway

I know but you also then just thing, "Why would they say it? Especially if they can't actually do it."

So, can they do this?

I don't think so, they're probably bluffing so more people will return their books. :tongue:
Reply 5
That seems onerous and rather like tackling a lone gunman with a nuclear bomb metaphorically speaking. It doesn't sound like it would be allowed to me in any case. As the above poster has said, there's potentially things to do that need doing as soon as possible after results day so time really is critical.
You could just hand your textbooks in :dontknow:
Reply 7
Original post by yellowcopter
I don't think so, they're probably bluffing so more people will return their books. :tongue:

Yes but then teachers were refusing to take the books if you didn't have the slip. They did this to me and in the end, I just forged all of the signatures from my contact book and left a stack of books in a deserted room with a note on top :')
Reply 8
Original post by Origami Bullets
You could just hand your textbooks in :dontknow:

We did. But you have to get something signed and we had to do this after we left the school so, sometimes teachers weren't available and I'm not being funny, who is going to sit around for an hour to get someones signature? No one :s-smilie:
Btw they can actually do this, but why not just hand in your textbooks? Last year when I was starting AS, I had to wait months for the year 13s to return the psychology textbooks and it just caused a lot of hassle for us. Quite frankly it's inconsiderate
I know but you also then just thing, "Why would they say it? Especially if they can't actually do it."

So they can freak you out and make sure people hand in the books, I guess they probably think everyone will take their word for it
Reply 11
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Btw they can actually do this, but why not just hand in your textbooks? Last year when I was starting AS, I had to wait months for the year 13s to return the psychology textbooks and it just caused a lot of hassle for us. Quite frankly it's inconsiderate

Why can no one read? I'm asking if its possible. I have handed my textbooks in and everyone else did but the school were rejecting them unless they had the form to sign and some people didn't get given one etc.etc.

How can they do this, might I ask? It's not in my schools policies or anything.
Reply 12
Original post by MidnightDream
So they can freak you out and make sure people hand in the books, I guess they probably think everyone will take their word for it

Fair enough
Fair enough

They won't but if they do come on TSR we will get your results for you :wink:
Why can no one read? I'm asking if its possible. I have handed my textbooks in and everyone else did but the school were rejecting them unless they had the form to sign and some people didn't get given one etc.etc.

How can they do this, might I ask? It's not in my schools policies or anything.

You didn't say that in the op....

If you weren't given a form, get one from reception/office/whatever your school system is. Tbh, it makes sense that teachers have to sign it to confirm you've actually given it in.

They can refuse to give it to you and they probably will (my school does exactly the same thing and they've done it in the past). I don't know how it stands in the eye of the law but if it's not part of your schools policy then they shouldn't try to enforce it
Reply 15
Original post by mynameisntbobk
You didn't say that in the op....

If you weren't given a form, get one from reception/office/whatever your school system is. Tbh, it makes sense that teachers have to sign it to confirm you've actually given it in.

They can refuse to give it to you and they probably will (my school does exactly the same thing and they've done it in the past). I don't know how it stands in the eye of the law but if it's not part of your schools policy then they shouldn't try to enforce it

I did say about the form in the OP and before your post, I believe I mentioned about the rejection on the grounds of the form not being signed but ANYWAY.

It's not as easy as that though; it's hard to understand because you're not at my school, obviously but thanks for your input.

Oh, okay. I still don't see how they can do that, legally.

So, can they do this?

It's a thing to get you to hand your book in Jay- My art teacher was telling me how the teachers get fed up of having to sign 200 sheets every year. He even confessed to not handing his in as a student and told us to sign it off ourselves.:rofl:
Reply 17
Original post by Gorwell
It's a thing to get you to hand your book in Jay- My art teacher was telling me how the teachers get fed up of having to sign 200 sheets every year. He even confessed to not handing his in as a student and told us to sign it off ourselves.:rofl:

This is what we think. I was just wondering if anyone actually KNEW and didn't just have an opinion or whatever, like actually KNEW that legally or whatever, the school couldn't do it.

I know, it's hilarious. I signed them all off myself in the end.
This is what we think. I was just wondering if anyone actually KNEW and didn't just have an opinion or whatever, like actually KNEW that legally or whatever, the school couldn't do it.

I know, it's hilarious. I signed them all off myself in the end.

We had to get signatures for subjects that didn't even give books. It was annoying having to track all the teachers down tho- I'm not as brave as you loool I got him to sign it in the end :colondollar:
Reply 19
Original post by Gorwell
We had to get signatures for subjects that didn't even give books. It was annoying having to track all the teachers down tho- I'm not as brave as you loool I got him to sign it in the end :colondollar:

I just thought, "yeah, okay, as if they're going to check like all 200" :rolleyes:

Quick Reply