The Student Room Group

Why do I weigh so much?

I'm a girl, 5'9" and I weigh 67kg. I know that my weight makes me sound as if I am obese but I'm actually not. I'm skinny- I have a flat stomach and thin legs. The only place I have a bit of fat is my thighs.
My friends with a similar physique to me all weigh 50kg- 55kg. Why do I weigh 10-15kg more than them?

Scroll to see replies

Some of it might be muscle, as muscle weighs more than fat. Otherwise, I guess we're all just built differently. I wouldn't worry about it, weight shouldn't matter as long as you're happy and healthy :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a girl, 5'9" and I weigh 67kg. I know that my weight makes me sound as if I am obese but I'm actually not. I'm skinny- I have a flat stomach and thin legs. The only place I have a bit of fat is my thighs.
My friends with a similar physique to me all weigh 50kg- 55kg. Why do I weigh 10-15kg more than them?

You are a normal healthy weight for your height. Don't worry about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
You sound pretty normal to me. As a guide im male, 6ft and weigh 82Kg
Reply 4
Original post by Helenia
You are a normal healthy weight for your height. Don't worry about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's consoling, thanks xD
Reply 5
That's really not heavy..

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're honestly really normal weight. Don't worry about what your friends weigh, it's not a guide for what you should weigh since everyone is different :smile:

Your bmi is 21.81

Bmi:
Less than 18.5 is underweight
18.5-24.9 is a healthy weight (your perfectly in the middle you have no weight issue)
25-29.9 is overweight (you are nowhere near)
30-39.9 is obese
40+ is morbidly obese

I'm 5"7 and weigh 71kg I'm female that's 1 bmi away from overweight however my weight fluctuates sometimes in less depends on how much water I drink so you certainly don't have a weight problem I fact your closer to be underweight and unhealthy than you are overweight haha now I feel fat but I'm not fat most of my weight is muscle because I work out as my boyfriend is a personal trainer I'm very toned and muscle is weight but you don't need to diet you don't weigh a lot so stop worrying and enjoy your body you only get one (this is coming from me who used to be a perfect size ten and still thought I was fat I didn't train back then and only started training because I have terribly tight calve muscles and I enjoyed it and still I think I weigh a lot because the number 67 sounds a lot but I think you'd actually find it easier to look at the number a different way like stone) you are 10.5 stone and actually that's really good my sister is anorexic and she ways 7 stone and she is 5"8 her body mass index is 14.9 so she's severely underweight so be happy love what you have. You are perfectly normal

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
[QUOTE=LydiaFirefly

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat 7g of muscle is the same as 7g of fat like a tonne of feathers weighs the same as a tonne of bricks they weigh the same muscle just uses more protein and also takes up more space ask any doctor or pharmacist they weigh the same :smile: :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a girl, 5'9" and I weigh 67kg. I know that my weight makes me sound as if I am obese

...No it doesn't
[QUOTE=LydiaFirefly
Fat and muscle weigh the same like bricks and feathers 1tonne or bricks equals the same as 1 tonne of feather just like 10g of fat equals the same as 10g of muscle ask your go or pharmacist they weigh the same

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by auntumn89

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat 7g of muscle is the same as 7g of fat like a tonne of feathers weighs the same as a tonne of bricks they weigh the same muscle just uses more protein and also takes up more space ask any doctor or pharmacist they weigh the same :smile: :smile:

Probably meant that muscle is more dense than fat, so by volume it weighs more. :smile: Meaning that if you build muscle you might drop a dress size even though you'll probably also gain weight. :smile:

50-55kgs at your height actually makes your friends underweight the ideal weight for someone if your height is 61-77kg your friends need some Big Macs actually they should feel more self conscious than you he bmi is 17.9 at 55kg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Probably meant that muscle is more dense than fat, so by volume it weighs more. :smile: Meaning that if you build muscle you might drop a dress size even though you'll probably also gain weight. :smile:

Yeah but I thought I'd clarify as people might not know that :smile: what you say is correct :smile: it's about inches aswell as weight and a lot of people see 66kg before working out and then four weeks later they still are 66kg and think they aren't getting anywhere and give up in truth if you take thigh waist bust measurements you'll see inches fall off quicker than weight as muscle is the same weight as fat but your actually toning up that skin and reducing fat and losing inches.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Actually, muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, it's just denser. However, your weight is normal for your height.
Original post by ahappydyl
Actually, muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, it's just denser. However, your weight is normal for your height.

That's what I just said to her I don't know why people think it weighs more

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you are very tall, and muscle does weigh more than fat so don't worry about it, what matters is that you don't look or feel overweight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

that was literally the stupidest thing I've read this year.

You gave the analogy of a ton of bricks weighing the same as a ton of feathers
really??

okay, but that doesn't mean bricks weigh the same as feathers, per size.
say 1cm square of brick
and 1cm squared of feather

which do you think will be heavier?

same with muscle and fat. Obviously a kg of muscle = same weight as a kg of fat

but it'd take a lot more fat to reach that weight

the doctor that explained this to you obviously doesn't know his stuff

either that or some part of your brain is missing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I weigh 49kg, and OP weighs 67kg. Therefore we do not weigh the same.

However by your logic we do weight the same, because 100kg of me = 100kg of her.
Your brain doesn't work very well.
Original post by louieee
I weigh 49kg, and OP weighs 67kg. Therefore we do not weigh the same.

However by your logic we do weight the same, because 100kg of me = 100kg of her.
Your brain doesn't work very well.

Wow, you weigh very little. Aren't you a guy?

Quick Reply

Latest