The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do White English people see Muslims as British?

As the thread states.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

do you ?
Civic nationalism, in others words yes.
If you were born here or hold nationality than you are British. The sad thing is some people dont class Muslims as British but you can hardly blame them considering many people for example some children of immigrants born in this country dont consider themselves to be British, but than these people get pissed off when someone says they are not British.
Reply 4
If they're born here, then yes.

British culture doesn't exist anyhow, and never has. I'll await people who say I'm being PC, but then cite how we have a unified culture, if you can...
Original post by CryptoidAlien
As the thread states.

I personally experience a lot who do, although, it's more of a PC answer as it's what they're supposed to say. It always kind of confuses me why alot of them do?

if your born in britain or have a british citizenship your british?

whats about white convert, are they not allowed to be british anymore because they are convert/

lol at op
Obviously not all Muslims are British, but the ones who hold British citizenship obviously are.
Reply 7
well yes, the ones born here and/or own a British citizenship.
Original post by White HumanRighs
If I went to Japan and somehow managed to become a citizen I would be never be Japanese but a Gaijin. Why doesn't the same apply for white countries? Black people aren't British, Asians aren't British. As for being Muslim and British of course. If you're a white British person who happens to be Muslim.

Yep, which is why white people can't be American, Australian, South African, Canadian, Kiwi, etc. :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Doesn't make sense, there are white English Muslims. So they're not 'British'?
Technically yes since they are British citizens.

But Muslims themselves consider themselves to be British First, Muslim second. And their first allegiance is to their religion and not their country. So in that sense, I don't know if you could call them British citizens if they themselves refute that claim.

Also, every Muslim I know identifies as Pakistani, Indian, Bangladeshi, Iranian etc. rather than British in spite of being born and raised in the UK.
Reply 11
Original post by tengentoppa
Technically yes since they are British citizens.

But Muslims themselves consider themselves to be British First, Muslim second. And their first allegiance is to their religion and not their country. So in that sense, I don't know if you could call them British citizens if they themselves refute that claim.

Also, every Muslim I know identifies as Pakistani, Indian, Bangladeshi, Iranian etc. rather than British in spite of being born and raised in the UK.

not me, and im not self hating on my ancestory, i just cant connect to it, i enjoy the culture in pakistan though, it's not all boom boom taliban
No, how could I possibly see a Muslim person from Iraq living in Iraq as British?

Are you a British citizen? Yes? Well that was easy.
I personally consider only white people as British, and from England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland blood lines

I did hear someone say on radio other day that British was/is used to describe/include people who came here from the countries of our once Great Empire, but not sure whether it is true or not
Original post by Saraa.xx
Doesn't make sense, there are white English Muslims. So they're not 'British'?

They're yes because it's an ethnicity. British isn't a piece of paper, passports haven't always existed either.
Reply 15
Original post by CryptoidAlien
They're yes because it's an ethnicity. British isn't a piece of paper, passports haven't always existed either.

yes it is. British is a nationality. English is an ethnicity. Jesus.

So by definition anyone can be British.
Reply 16
If they are British by nationality,obviously, in technical terms I suppose they are considered British.
I personally don't see them as such as I think having a british passport doesn't automatically make you that.
Reply 17
I see Muslims with British nationality as British theoretically.
But I don't regard British Salafi's fighting for the ISIS or those who support them as British.
And I don't really consider those with non-British accents as British, even if they have British nationality (since it signifies that they haven't grown up in Britain), but I don't consider them inferior, provided they don't hold Islamist/Salafi views.

But saying that, I don't consider myself English.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Those who are citizens, either by birth or naturalisation are technically British.

If they do not wish to integrate into British society as a lot of other ethnic and religious minorities do, do not identify themselves as being British, but as Muslims first, then I wouldn't class them as being British outside of that one technicality.

Those of non British descent are not British by ethnicity, obviously. But that is a different matter unless you were being intentionally vague with your question.

Original post by Mick.w
i do find it bizarre how you can have pakistanis who are like 4th generation and still have a full on thick pakistani accent like they are fresh from abroad.

It's funny how you can identify somebody of south Asian descent by their voice on the radio, regardless of which part of the UK they live in. It can be Liverpool, Leeds, Birmingham or London. It's an accent unto itself. Whereas I hear stuff like Chinese people with thick Glaswegian, Geordie, Scouse, etc. accents whenever I travel about the country, as an example.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zeroic
not me, and im not self hating on my ancestory, i just cant connect to it, i enjoy the culture in pakistan though, it's not all boom boom taliban

Love that. :biggrin:

I'm sure there are many people like you for whom what I say is not true, but I've yet to meet anyone like that in my experience.

Latest