The Student Room Group

Any mature Medicine/Vet Med students here?

Hi everyone!

Was hoping there would be some mature students here who are studying (or offered a place for) either medicine or veterinary medicine. I've reached out to a few unis about entry requirements for vet med degrees as I don't quite meet the criteria (I did IB and am missing the science qualifications) so the admissions offices said I would need to get additional qualifications.

I have been looking into A Levels for Bio and Chem as I know the Access courses have so many units including English and Maths which I already have at IB, but I wanted to know what routes other mature students have taken to get into a medical field - A Levels/BTEC/Access to HE? I'm guessing A Levels are probably the most relevant but I want to make sure I've explored all the possible routes.

I also live and work outside of the UK at the moment so would be doing this as distance learning as well - if anyone has done this too it would be great to hear about your experience!

A bit about me - I'm 27, have a BSc in Anthropology, and ended up working in marketing, which I hate! I always wanted to work with animals but never took it seriously until I started volunteering at animal shelters in my spare time.

Hope some of you out there have experience to share :smile:
I haven't personally applied but a friend on my Access applied to and received offers from RVC and Nottingham. As part of the course he took Chem, Bio, Maths and IT amounting to 60 credits.

He had exceptional BMAT scores I think which really helped boost his application...
Reply 2
Original post by Bright_blonde
I haven't personally applied but a friend on my Access applied to and received offers from RVC and Nottingham. As part of the course he took Chem, Bio, Maths and IT amounting to 60 credits.

He had exceptional BMAT scores I think which really helped boost his application...

Thanks so much, that's really helpful! What Access course was it? I got in touch with some unis but they just said 45 level 3 credits and distinctions in Bio and Chem, but was hoping for a bit more direction as I've seen colleges offer Access courses for Medicine, Biomedical, Science, Applied Science.. and more!
Oh okay - well I'm not sure if you know, but the Access courses have really changed this year, but have a look at the course content, so get as many credits in science based subjects as possible. My friends course was Access to Science, under which he had certain subjects he could choose from such as bio, chem, maths, etc... Your local Access provider should be more helpful, or have a look at DIstant Learning Centre which may be more tailored...

Hope that helps.
There is some good advice in here, I wish I was able to see it before I start to pursue dentistry as a mature student! I managed to get a place to study dentistry at Newcastle via access in the end and have spoken about the journey to get there in my blog here.

In it I talk about things like the pros and cons of A levels versus the Access course, tips for the UKCAT and personal statement and general fears like do I live in halls, can I get involved fully with freshers week and all those silly things!

Good luck to anybody thinking of retraining, go for it, you will not regret it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending