The Student Room Group

Where is best for Events Management or something production related, and why?

Hey there :smile: I'm applying for uni for 2015 entry and am interested in events management for the music/festival industry or production for the same industry. At the moment I'm choosing between University of Surrey, University of Lincoln, Edinburgh Napier University, De Montfort University, University of Kent, and Plymouth University. I'm not sure which is best or if there's anywhere better as student reviews seem fairly limited in this subject. Can anybody help?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'd seriously question the value of an events management degree, on the grounds that
a) it's very specific, and this will mean that you will find it harder to change career direction if decide you don't want to work in that sector in the future
b) you can get into events management without an events management degree - this is one area in which work experience will be key

Whilst I can't claim to be familiar with the relative merits of each degree at each uni, what I can say is that Surrey and Kent have very good reputations, and Plymouth is one of the better ex-polys out there.
Reply 2
I understand why you question it, but this is the direction I feel is best for me.
I have a lot of work experience already but it's very difficult to progress upwards quickly as people are literally trusting you with their reputation and why would they do that if you haven't been proven to be able to do it?
So you're just stuck with the basic jobs at big festivals and high up jobs at small festivals that nobody really knows about.
Thank you for your answer though, Surrey is definitely my top choice right now!
Original post by LeatherMel
I understand why you question it, but this is the direction I feel is best for me.
I have a lot of work experience already but it's very difficult to progress upwards quickly as people are literally trusting you with their reputation and why would they do that if you haven't been proven to be able to do it?
So you're just stuck with the basic jobs at big festivals and high up jobs at small festivals that nobody really knows about.
Thank you for your answer though, Surrey is definitely my top choice right now!

I see where you're coming from - I worked in the hospitality sector before going to uni, and I know that it can be hard to work your way up.

However, there are lots of things that you can do at uni that are related to events management that don't involve doing an events management degree. Most societies will put on some sort of events over the course of a year, as will many volunteering organisations and the SU. Get involved with these whilst you're at uni doing another subject - this is the sort of experience that employers will want to see - the ability to organise events yourself.
Reply 4
The reason I'm interested in doing an Events Management degree is the year in industry and also modules on crowd control and business. This is why the degree is the best option specifically for what I want to do. I appreciate your advice but I've thought this through over many years and have come to the conclusion this is the route I'd like to take.
All I want to know is which uni is the best one to do it at. :smile:
The reason I'm interested in doing an Events Management degree is the year in industry and also modules on crowd control and business. This is why the degree is the best option specifically for what I want to do. I appreciate your advice but I've thought this through over many years and have come to the conclusion this is the route I'd like to take.
All I want to know is which uni is the best one to do it at. :smile:

I know very little about this industry but I would ask these questions.

How many people work full time in the music festival industry as opposed to being casual labour? How many of those essentially have technical skills (lighting, audio, sanitation, commercial cooking etc) that one only gets by training in those industries (whether by attending university or not)?

How many people do events management degrees each year?

What proportion of these end up working in the music industry as opposed to organising agricultural shows, product launches, annual awards dinners of the Surgical Appliance Manufacturers Association?

Events management does have the feel of forensic science about it to me. In other words that business studies courses that are struggling to attract applicants have been "sexed up" by the glamour of meeting rock stars. Combined science degrees which once were degrees for lab technicians suddenly became degrees to appear on Silent Witness and CSI.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Hello! Have you looked at Falmouth University? They offer creative events management, and you're able to integrate with people in different courses in your projects. I think the De Montfort course is the most specific for festivals. Surrey looks really good though, the graduate prospects they have are very impressive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the mention- we offer Creative Events Management: http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/creativeeventsmanagement; Music, Theatre and Entertainment management: http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/entertainmentmanagement and Cultural Tourism Management:http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/culturaltourismmanagement

Get in touch with our admissions team if you want to know more: [email protected] or talk to one of our student mentors for the course who are all in their second year now: http://www.facebook.com/groups/entertainmentcreativeeventsfalmouth14.17

Sounds like the OP has given this a lot of thought- good luck with your choices wherever you decide to go,

Camilla
Reply 8
Original post by FalmouthUni
Thanks for the mention- we offer Creative Events Management: http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/creativeeventsmanagement; Music, Theatre and Entertainment management: http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/entertainmentmanagement and Cultural Tourism Management:http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/culturaltourismmanagement

Get in touch with our admissions team if you want to know more: [email protected] or talk to one of our student mentors for the course who are all in their second year now: http://www.facebook.com/groups/entertainmentcreativeeventsfalmouth14.17

Sounds like the OP has given this a lot of thought- good luck with your choices wherever you decide to go,

Camilla

Thanks for the info! Does Falmouth offer 3rd year in industry?
Reply 9
Original post by nulli tertius
I know very little about this industry but I would ask these questions.

How many people work full time in the music festival industry as opposed to being casual labour? How many of those essentially have technical skills (lighting, audio, sanitation, commercial cooking etc) that one only gets by training in those industries (whether by attending university or not)?

How many people do events management degrees each year?

What proportion of these end up working in the music industry as opposed to organising agricultural shows, product launches, annual awards dinners of the Surgical Appliance Manufacturers Association?

Events management does have the feel of forensic science about it to me. In other words that business studies courses that are struggling to attract applicants have been "sexed up" by the glamour of meeting rock stars. Combined science degrees which once were degrees for lab technicians suddenly became degrees to appear on Silent Witness and CSI.

Are you trying to discourage me from doing an events degree? Because it's not going to work! I'm not interested in meeting rock stars, I'm interested in creating innovative events which people enjoy. Totally willing to expand into commercial, never limit yourself to such a tiddly sector, music is just my main interest.

Do you have any advice on where is best for events?
Thanks for the info! Does Falmouth offer 3rd year in industry?

Hi- I think it's probably best if you contact the admissions team to talk about the exact course details and your requirements as they will know more than I do: 01326 213730 [email protected]

All the event management courses we offer involve external projects, but not an entire year in industry as I understand it- there are industry based projects throughout the three years of the course.

partners include:

Nordic Ways
China Tour de Ski
Truro City of Lights
Cornwall Film Festival
Mackerel Sky Events
London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games
Pizza Express
Surf Action
Yamaha Music EuropeIsland Records
Cornwall Music Forum
Kneehigh Theatre
The National Trust
The Eden Project
Greenhouse, Philippines
UK Pro Surf Association
Insight Adventures, China
Nonstop Ski & Snowboard
Yeotown
WEXAS Travel
Surfdome
The Tyler Gallery
Museum of British Surfing
Visit Cornwall
Cazenove + Loyd Destination Experts
Incandescence Circus Theatre Company
Zed's Surf Travel, Barbados
Kwepunha Surf Retreat, Liberia
The Wave UK
Diamond Beach Village, Kenya
DogBite Film Crew
Ticket to Ride
Cornwall Wildlife Trust
Watermark Experiences
The Slackline School
Battleface
The Performance Centre
Tremenheere Sculpture Gardens & Lime Tree Cafe
Marine Discovery, Penzance
Kernow Coasteering

Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Are you trying to discourage me from doing an events degree? Because it's not going to work! I'm not interested in meeting rock stars, I'm interested in creating innovative events which people enjoy. Totally willing to expand into commercial, never limit yourself to such a tiddly sector, music is just my main interest.

Do you have any advice on where is best for events?

I can't help about events management courses. It isn't a sector I know anything about. I was trying to encourage you to think about the real job prospects. I work in a sector, law, where universities suck in far too many students and do not give a realistic view of employment. I am not saying you want to meet rock stars. I am saying that universities can and do re-badge courses to give them the appearance of glamour. Lots of universities seem to be running courses in events management, yet it strikes me as a very niche area.
Reply 12
Original post by nulli tertius
I can't help about events management courses. It isn't a sector I know anything about. I was trying to encourage you to think about the real job prospects. I work in a sector, law, where universities suck in far too many students and do not give a realistic view of employment. I am not saying you want to meet rock stars. I am saying that universities can and do re-badge courses to give them the appearance of glamour. Lots of universities seem to be running courses in events management, yet it strikes me as a very niche area.

Since you've said you don't know much about it, I can see why you'd assume it to be a niche area. In actuality, with an events degree you could move into areas such as business and marketing which are obviously huge sectors. Not that events alone isn't huge, it is a broad and absolutely booming industry, one of the only ones that actually grew during the recession. :smile:

I can see exactly what you're saying with the re-badging of courses, however I've scoured the websites and prospectuses and module info and phoned up admissions of various universities more times than I'd like to admit! I'm just struggling to choose between the universities. It would be so much easier if we could have six choices rather than five!
As someone who knows 3 people who have studied events management at 3 separate universities, all achieved a high 2.1 or a 1st and had tonnes of work experience - all 3 now work in a call centre.

Don't limit yourself by doing a POINTLESS degree.
Although a degree is an essential qualification for some industries, I think school leavers need to think more carefully about which route to employment is best for them as some may be more suited to an apprenticeship scheme.
If you can learn your whole degree in a short course (I don't mean a few weeks) do it. Your not at the stage where you're realising how deep £9000 a year is talkless of paying rent etc.

Every university glamours up their courses to trick you into thinking you'll get a job afterwards. Just google 20 most useless degrees and no matter what site you go in I guarantee Events Management will be there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Turned up this looking for something else (about 2 year degree courses)

http://www.derby.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/options/fast-track/

obvious advantages - 2 years fees & maintenance instead of 3
compulsory work placement during summer vacation organised for you

otoh Buxton isn't really party central
I wonder if the 2 year pathway might be targeted at mature applicants rather than school/college leavers though it doesn't actually say anything there or on ucas.

---
obligatory anecdote I know someone who did an event management (different uni) and they did do call centre work for a bit after graduating though they've left that and are now self employed doing project management in the non profit sector - being non profit there's not much money or security in it.

Just because something's a growth sector - doesn't mean there's necessarily great prospects for graduates with degrees bearing the name of that sector - do your own research etc.
Reply 16
Original post by Mathsz0r
As someone who knows 3 people who have studied events management at 3 separate universities, all achieved a high 2.1 or a 1st and had tonnes of work experience - all 3 now work in a call centre.

Don't limit yourself by doing a POINTLESS degree.

Original post by Georgiina_Tee
Although a degree is an essential qualification for some industries, I think school leavers need to think more carefully about which route to employment is best for them as some may be more suited to an apprenticeship scheme.
If you can learn your whole degree in a short course (I don't mean a few weeks) do it. Your not at the stage where you're realising how deep £9000 a year is talkless of paying rent etc.

Every university glamours up their courses to trick you into thinking you'll get a job afterwards. Just google 20 most useless degrees and no matter what site you go in I guarantee Events Management will be there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about "I've thought about this and this is what I want to do" don't you get?
What about "I've thought about this and this is what I want to do" don't you get?

The part where you do a completely useless degree that doesn't make you more employable to the field you want to go in. That part, princess.

And I am sure the people on the Golden Gate Bridge about to jump say the same thing. It doesn't mean others aren't going to try and talk them down.

As I have said I know nothing about the industry and I approach this with a rather sceptical (perhaps even cynical) open mind.

If you have sensible reasons for doing this course as a way into the industry and getting into the industry is reasonably attainable, I would say good luck to you.

It feels however at the moment that you are regurgitating marketing literature from people trying to sell you this course.
Reply 19
Original post by Mathsz0r
The part where you do a completely useless degree that doesn't make you more employable to the field you want to go in. That part, princess.

Aw, thanks honey. Your support means a lot! :smile:
kiss kiss.

Quick Reply

Latest