The Student Room Group

The famous physics and engineering debate

Calling all students doing physics/engineering I would like to ask you the question why did you pick the course you are on? And if applicable did you have to pick between physics and engineering and which one did you go for and why?

I'm looking applying for physics this year but I'd be lying if I said I havent though about engineering(mech eng) and I'd just like to hear what swayed you to you're decison
Original post by fatherdougal
Calling all students doing physics/engineering I would like to ask you the question why did you pick the course you are on? And if applicable did you have to pick between physics and engineering and which one did you go for and why?

I'm looking applying for physics this year but I'd be lying if I said I havent though about engineering(mech eng) and I'd just like to hear what swayed you to you're decison

I chose mechanical engineering because I wanted a career in engineering. I never had any interest in taking physics to degree level. Likewise I'd imagine a lot of physics applicants and students have no interest studying engineering or becoming engineers. They're actually quite different subjects.
I seriously considered Physics before eventually picking Engineering (EEE). While I still find certain areas of Physics extremely interesting, I prefer the practicality of Engineering. I find that I'm generally much more interested in learning how to physically do something than the background and theory that makes it possible (although that's often not a good thing).
Don't you mean infamous?
Original post by fatherdougal

Physics = figuring out how the world works.

Engineering = using that knowledge to build stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest