The Student Room Group

Gym help for noobie!

Some general information about myself:

6ft
Kinda overweight
yeh.

Anyway, ive never been to a gym and will get membership this week, my goals are kinda to lose weight and build muscle but my problem is that I have no idea what to do.

A lot of stuff differ whenever i try look for tips for example; cardio burns gains? is that true? should i keep cardio on a seperate day?

Basically, what should i do in the gym lol

Scroll to see replies

Cardio will be the main factor in losing weight for you so i would recommend doing tredmil etc at least 3 times a week it can be after a normal workout so that doesn't mean doing cardio for the full gym session for the 3 days.

To build muscle i would say compound exercises (do research on them if you don't know) these exercises target more than one muscle group and can help you build mass.

Isolated muscle workouts would focus mainly on one target group mainly for getting leaner but these usually come in towards the end of a regular workout.
Reply 2
Original post by peakneek
Some general information about myself:

6ft
Kinda overweight
yeh.

Anyway, ive never been to a gym and will get membership this week, my goals are kinda to lose weight and build muscle but my problem is that I have no idea what to do.

A lot of stuff differ whenever i try look for tips for example; cardio burns gains? is that true? should i keep cardio on a seperate day?

Basically, what should i do in the gym lol

cardio doesn't burn gains. What is does do is burn protein if you run out of fat and carbs. So eat right and you should be fine.

You try and build muscle without doing enough cardio then you will not have a big enough heart to sustain any muscle growth. (Hearts grow just like the old arm muscles)

also you cannot 'turn fat into muscle' so you need to SLIM DOWN before you build up. Otherwise you will be weaker and bigger and not in a good way.

In other words. Start out with a really good cardio routine for the first few weeks or more and some light strength conditioning and then start on your muscle building (without neglecting the old legs). Always keep cardio in your routine.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by alapa
cardio doesn't burn gains. What is does do is burn protein if you run out of fat and carbs. So eat right and you should be fine.

You try and build muscle without doing enough cardio then you will not have a big enough heart to sustain any muscle growth. (Hearts grow just like the old arm muscles)

also you cannot 'turn fat into muscle' so you need to SLIM DOWN before you build up. Otherwise you will be weaker and bigger and not in a good way.

In other words. Start out with a really good cardio routine for the first few weeks or more and some light strength conditioning and then start on your muscle building (without neglecting the old legs). Always keep cardio in your routine.

Original post by Kash24411
Cardio will be the main factor in losing weight for you so i would recommend doing tredmil etc at least 3 times a week it can be after a normal workout so that doesn't mean doing cardio for the full gym session for the 3 days.

To build muscle i would say compound exercises (do research on them if you don't know) these exercises target more than one muscle group and can help you build mass.

Isolated muscle workouts would focus mainly on one target group mainly for getting leaner but these usually come in towards the end of a regular workout.

Hey!

Firstly, thanks for the swift replies and thank you for the content in them.

I also believe i do need to lose weight first before i muscle up.

So, my main question now is, what sort of stuff is the best for fat burning? treadmill, cross trainer, bike and the rowing machine? is there anything else?

Also, with diets, what type of stuff should i be eating and when?

Again, thank you guys :smile: you are actually helping me a lot
Reply 4
I also forgot to mention, i'll try aim to go to the gym 5 days a week until school starts and then probably about 3ish
Reply 5
Hey!

Firstly, thanks for the swift replies and thank you for the content in them.

I also believe i do need to lose weight first before i muscle up.

So, my main question now is, what sort of stuff is the best for fat burning? treadmill, cross trainer, bike and the rowing machine? is there anything else?

Also, with diets, what type of stuff should i be eating and when?

Again, thank you guys :smile: you are actually helping me a lot

The best thing In the world would be jogging outside. You need to lose weight first though otherwise perhaps a tad bit too much pressure on the old joints

Treadmill and the bike are great for you. Use the cross trainer to ease into it and warm up and don't get too hung up on the rowing machine. Swimming would be awesome for you as well if you can wangle it.
Reply 6
Original post by alapa
The best thing In the world would be jogging outside. You need to lose weight first though otherwise perhaps a tad bit too much pressure on the old joints

Treadmill and the bike are great for you. Use the cross trainer to ease into it and warm up and don't get too hung up on the rowing machine. Swimming would be awesome for you as well if you can wangle it.

Thanks, I actually did my Anterior Cruiciate Ligament about April time
trying to make my knee stronger again too atm, just been doing the physio exercises etc
I have the daily cardio workout app, which shows a 5-10 video to copy.
Does anyone use that app, Is that a good enough cardio workout? How many calories does it burn?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I also forgot to mention, i'll try aim to go to the gym 5 days a week until school starts and then probably about 3ish

always leave a day between sessions.
You break down muscle in the gym
your brain says ' I need to build muscle bigger next time to keep up with this guy'

if you don't give your body a break you will not see gains, you will damage your muscles and pick up injuries.
Reply 9
Original post by bibliboo
I have the daily cardio workout app, which shows a 5-10 video to copy.
Does anyone use that app, Is that a good enough cardio workout? How many calories does it burn?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have that app. Used it when I started training. Good app. Conditions muscles and gives your heart a workout as well. Dunno about the calories dude but can't hurt to give it a go
I would suggest that you do a 5x5 routine (5 reps 5 sets) such as stronglifts 5x5 (http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ and download the stronglifts app)or rippetoe's starting strength (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224).

It's important that you follow the correct form and technique, I would suggest watching omarisuf's youtube tutorials on the lifts in these programmes.

The weight loss should sort itself out without the need for cardio once you start weight training and eating well. The more muscle you build, the more efficiently your body can break down fat.

Have a look on the internet for beginner weightlifting diets and drink plently of water.

As one of the other posters said, always leave a day inbetween sessions, and each time you go to the gym switch from workout A to workout B and vica versa (this should make more sense when you have a look at the websites I linked)\
And MAKE SURE TO SLEEP WELL! The hormones that stimulate muscle growth are only secreted during deep sleep so get a good 8+ hours of sleep in every night.

Good luck and make sure to post your progress! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
run outside

you can do things at your own pace.. sit out in green.... less people..

this is coming from someone who used to run on treadmills every day!
Original post by alapa
always leave a day between sessions.
You break down muscle in the gym
your brain says ' I need to build muscle bigger next time to keep up with this guy'

if you don't give your body a break you will not see gains, you will damage your muscles and pick up injuries.

This is worrying advice since I go everyday.. I thought the grot was just to never workout muscle groups that are sore?
Original post by Jooooshy
This is worrying advice since I go everyday.. I thought the grot was just to never workout muscle groups that are sore?

Going everyday is retarded. If you are working out properly you cannot avoid using certain muscle groups before they are rested if you go everyday. For example think about how many upper body workouts will be using your arms. You can't rest your arms for working out any upper body parts really. You should take some breaks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ElChapo
Going everyday is retarded. If you are working out properly you cannot avoid using certain muscle groups before they are rested if you go everyday. For example think about how many upper body workouts will be using your arms. You can't rest your arms for working out any upper body parts really. You should take some breaks.

I don't train upper body every day. And I don't see much of an overlap between the workouts: biceps and back, triceps and chest.
Reply 15

Naaah. Even if your muscles aren't sore they have still been shredded in the gym if you've worked them. If you are mixing things up like you say I don't see a problem though.
Reply 16
Thank you everyone! :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by a_shabba
I would suggest that you do a 5x5 routine (5 reps 5 sets) such as stronglifts 5x5 (http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ and download the stronglifts app)or rippetoe's starting strength (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224).

It's important that you follow the correct form and technique, I would suggest watching omarisuf's youtube tutorials on the lifts in these programmes.

The weight loss should sort itself out without the need for cardio once you start weight training and eating well. The more muscle you build, the more efficiently your body can break down fat.

Have a look on the internet for beginner weightlifting diets and drink plently of water.

As one of the other posters said, always leave a day inbetween sessions, and each time you go to the gym switch from workout A to workout B and vica versa (this should make more sense when you have a look at the websites I linked)\
And MAKE SURE TO SLEEP WELL! The hormones that stimulate muscle growth are only secreted during deep sleep so get a good 8+ hours of sleep in every night.

Good luck and make sure to post your progress! :smile:

Thanks man! I appreciate your help! I will do :smile:
Original post by ttankzhang
CNS, unless you're not really working either hard.

I track my progress and I don't notice the fatigue..
I track my progress and I don't notice the fatigue..

Not criticising, just answering your question. Some people recover quicker than others.

Quick Reply

Latest