The Student Room Group

how much is my student finance reduced in final year??

I am getting student finance, I think we re apply every year or not- not sure.

But, On the final year I studying, Will the maintanance loan and grant be the same as it was the previous years or will it be given according to terms.
So will I only get term 1 and 2 and they leave out 3 or will they pay term 3 although I might finish early [I think]

Bare in mind my circumstance will remain the same for all 3-4 years

I'll be getting bout 6000k combine maintenance loan n grant for year. 1

What wil final year be
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Your final year's money will only cover you until the end of the academic year, rather than up to the start of the next academic year. So if your last year ends at the start of June, you won't get SF for June, July and August, unlike the previous years.

In that example, you'd get 3 months or 25% less than previous years. On £6000 a year, that would give you £4500 overall for your third year.
Reply 3
Original post by Klix88
Your final year's money will only cover you until the end of the academic year, rather than up to the start of the next academic year. So if your last year ends at the start of June, you won't get SF for June, July and August, unlike the previous years.

In that example, you'd get 3 months or 25% less than previous years. On £6000 a year, that would give you £4500 overall for your third year.

This is devastating
When are exams usually sat?
Reply 4
Original post by Alumna
This is devastating

Each university sets its own exam dates. Usually May for end of year exams at my current place, with results at various times in June (different for each undergrad year).

You only get Student Finance while you're a student, so come the end of your final term, the finance stops.
Reply 5
Original post by Klix88
Each university sets its own exam dates. Usually May for end of year exams at my current place, with results at various times in June (different for each undergrad year).

You only get Student Finance while you're a student, so come the end of your final term, the finance stops.

have you applied for travel grant ? I am not too sure how that works. My travel will cost about 500pound annually if i buy a bus pass.
Reply 6
The only SF travel grant I've heard of, covers travel costs for study abroad as part of your course, or for people on clinical placements:
http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/456058/travel_grant_fact_sheet_1314_d_b.pdf

I've not come across one which covers everyday travel to/from campus.
Original post by Alumna
This is devastating

That information isn't actually correct; It's actually nowhere near that much of a reduction.

Provided your circumstances haven't changed, it should only be a few hundred pounds less than in previous years.
Reply 8
Original post by heidigirl
That information isn't actually correct; It's actually nowhere near that much of a reduction.

Provided your circumstances haven't changed, it should only be a few hundred pounds less than in previous years.

Mine went down by a real whack in my last year (no change in my financial situation). I guess it depends on your circumstances.
Reply 9
It is better to be on the safe side and prepare for the worst. I phoned SFE and they said couple hundred from student maintenance loan will be reduced but the maintenance grant remains the same which is excellent.

Original post by heidigirl

Original post by Klix88
Mine went down by a real whack in my last year (no change in my financial situation). I guess it depends on your circumstances.

Are you quite sure your parents income didn't change? Student finance makes a lot of mistakes and it's always worth checking that they have got it right. Your student union would be a good source of advice.
Reply 11
Original post by parentlurker
Are you quite sure your parents income didn't change? Student finance makes a lot of mistakes and it's always worth checking that they have got it right. Your student union would be a good source of advice.

I was 47 at the time and my zero income definitely hadn't changed. That was 3 years ago now, so far too late to follow up. Didn't realise at the time I was potentially being diddled! When I did the maths, the 25% deduction seemed logical. Ho hum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending