The Student Room Group

What is the pace of A-levels like?

From my understanding, there is a lot of content to cover in only one school year. How do you keep up? Is there a different topic every day, every lesson? I'm worried that there might be too much information to learn every day. :confused:
Not a lot tbh, cover one module over 2 days done.

faster for boys ofc srs.
Slow cos the girls in my classes couldnt handle the maths/physics/chemistry. True story

Posted from TSR Mobile
depends on the subjects...dat further maths :angry:
I'd say it depends on your school.
Reply 5
At mine we were doing a different topic every week, I found it hard to keep up to start with so started staying after school at sixth form most days
Reply 6
Can be quite fast depending on your timetable, for example if you have a specific lesson twice on a Monday and it just happens that there are bank holidays inset days on that day.
Get used to spending an hour or 2 a day UN the library to go over topics you've had a lesson on. Trust me, it'll make revising so much easier. If you leave everything till the end you'll be overwhelmed by the volume of work.
Reply 8
You can probably cover the entire syllabus by February/March - Thats going at a relatively smooth pace

Some subjects is hard not to go fast - we finished our A2 maths syllabus basically by Crimbo :s-smilie:
It depends on the subject I think and the teacher. I think for me AS, was quite slow. For Lit we had our HoD and she was so slow with getting through coursework text as she wanted us to dissect every part of the novel! However at A2, we went REALLY fast with reading and got Enduring Love finished in 3 weeks (over a period of 9 lessons, which is 9 hours, this including reading for homework as the main analysis was in class).

Content is usually heavier when you have both/all units that are 100% exams. For my Philosophy and Ethics, even though it's one title, one subject, it totally felt like you were studying them separately! I really just believe it's down to the subject, teacher, exam board you're with.

However, generically A-level life is pretty fast, cause you are hit with a lot of different things at such a fast pace! But I'm so glad all those 2 Hellish LONG years a beyond me! #BringOnResultsDay
Original post by QuantumSuicide
Slow cos the girls in my classes couldnt handle the maths/physics/chemistry. True story

Posted from TSR Mobile

STORY OF MY LIFE #BROFIST :cool:
Reply 11
I worked out that if I learnt one new topic, for each a-level, for 5 days a week, starting from August the 1st, it would take me up to October the 9th.
It goes quite fast, but your classes are smaller (5 people in my physics!), so you can work at a faster pace
Reply 13
Original post by loperdoper
It goes quite fast, but your classes are smaller (5 people in my physics!), so you can work at a faster pace

My english language class had 36 in
Original post by iJess
My english language class had 36 in

Ouch. I know some subjects have quite big classes like that at my sixth form, but generally they were smaller.
Reply 15
Original post by loperdoper
Ouch. I know some subjects have quite big classes like that at my sixth form, but generally they were smaller.

Yeah bloody nightmare teachers retired and they didn't take into account how many people they were really accepting on to the courses, my smallest class last year was 18 haha
If you keep on top of it, you'll be fine. Start missing deadlines and you'll feel like you're snowed under; seeing people owing 3 essays or question packs looks horrific.
Also I cannot believe where the 2 years has gone, it's mad :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest