The Student Room Group

I'm a Mormon, AMA!

:smile:

I know there is the Ask A Christian thread, but so many of my beliefs are so different to other denominations I feel like I just end up confusing the people who come in asking questions haha. So here. AMA. :smile: (Other Mormons, feel free to answer questions too!)

Scroll to see replies

Have you ever faced any discrimination because of your faith?
What's it like living without technology?
Original post by iammeyouareyou
Have you ever faced any discrimination because of your faith?

I'm a convert, and I havn't, personally on a major scale. For a lot of people who are raised in the faith, for them, being Mormon is a cultural identity as much as it is a religion and I think they face discrimination moreso.

But I HAVE been discriminated and judged, and usually, it's by other Christian's, who are insistent that we don't believe in the same God as them and are being influenced by the devil. It's a very small minority, but a lot of them can really be quite rude. That's the only problem I've faced, usually it's just ignorance of people not knowing what we believe.
Original post by jamez870
What's it like living without technology?

That would be the Amish, not Mormons. :wink:
I'm joking so don't get offended :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The vampire
I'm joking so don't get offended :smile:

Spoiler

Ah, the oldest insult to Mormons in the book.... :P
Reply 7
Is it me or are mormons very community orientated
Have you seen the Book of Mormon at the theatre?
Can I bite you? I'm a vampire. :tongue:
Original post by James222
Is it me or are mormons very community orientated

In terms of the fact that there is a community among members? Absolutely. Probably the strongest I've seen within ANYTHING. It's really quite lovely.

Unless you meant something else. xD
Original post by brownbearxo
Have you seen the Book of Mormon at the theatre?

I've seen a bootleg. It's really quite accurate when it comes to our beliefs in a sort of fun house, silly way. :tongue: Most Mormons, would not be offended by the way it portrays us, I don't think. It's silly humor. But most won't watch it just because parts of it are so crude and we try to avoid that stuff. :smile: I would never watch it again for that reason as I'm trying to be better about that sort of thing!
Can I bite you? I'm a vampire. :tongue:

Um, no. :wink:
Original post by RowanB
In terms of the fact that there is a community among members? Absolutely. Probably the strongest I've seen within ANYTHING. It's really quite lovely.

Unless you meant something else. xD

I meant that every single mormon is part of a mormon community which is very active, something similar to the sikh punjabi community.

Just seems Mormon are always organising events and active which is good but other religion are not as centralised and have far more casual members just an observation
Reply 14
oooh sorry thought it said moron:mmm:
Original post by RowanB
Um, yes. :wink:

ftfy :yum:
Original post by arfah
oooh sorry thought it said moron:mmm:

Same as what I thought :tongue:
Original post by James222
I meant that every single mormon is part of a mormon community which is very active, something similar to the sikh punjabi community.

Just seems Mormon are always organising events and active which is good but other religion are not as centralised and have far more casual members just an observation

Yep, that's true. There's no such thing, really, as a "casual" Mormon. A lot of that I think, is because living to Mormon standards is somewhat of a lifestyle choice, and so having that good support network with others doing the same thing is so important. :smile:
Original post by RowanB
Yep, that's true. There's no such thing, really, as a "casual" Mormon. A lot of that I think, is because living to Mormon standards is somewhat of a lifestyle choice, and so having that good support network with others doing the same thing is so important. :smile:

So how exactly does the mormon community work.

Do you have services on Sunday like other denominations ?
Reply 19
Same as what I thought :tongue:

vampire, we are similar:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest