The Student Room Group

Help !! I got overcharged 2000 pound by my landlord

Hi all,

I am currently a year 2 student, and our University can no longer provide student accommodation for us after our first year. Basically I rent the flat with my friend though agent, however when we move out, it cost us like 2000 pound for damage!!!

Some of you maybe curious, how much damage is that? To be honest, it is our bad to create some bad condition for landlord which we feel very guilty on that. We broke two doors while moving furniture, and burn work surface on the kitchen because we though it's marble, so we just place the hot pot on it, but it too late when we realize that it is just fake paper cover with wooden panel underneath. And the last one is we can't remove the stain on carpet, we never wear shoes and make it dirty on our flat, but it is obvious happened after the many agent viewing on our flat, we feel shocked when we came back home at night.

I agreed to pay for the damage which done by us, and friend advised us to contact local supplier or builder for inquiry, after research and calculation, it is just around 300 pound ! The expensive one is around 500 pound!! And now landlord say they have already hired someone to work on it without asking us, and send the bill around 2000 to us !!!

We have try to contact rental agent via email, however they said the landlord always come to their office and speak to them, they told us to pay our full deposit (1500) to solve the problem because they feel this is too annoying. But landlord is not likely to accept this.

What can we do? Can anyone help us?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending