The Student Room Group

Are there any A Level subjects where you have to write essays in exams?

:confused:
Reply 1
Most of them?

Just look for humanities / social sciences.
The vast majority require at least some essay writing, even if only short essay answers. You'd be harder pushed to find A Levels that don't require essay writing.
History/English Literature/English Language/RS/Philosophy/Geography/Psychology/Sociology/some Biology courses (depending on exam board), to name a few. There are loads. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Loads, sociology, psychology, media studies, english (lit and lang), R.E

There's loads, even in Music Technology I had to write a mini essay (about 300 words) at A2 :smile:
Yes - all the humanities and some science-based ones:

English, History, Gov. and Pol, Classics, Philosophy, Religious Studies and Geography are heaviest on essays as they are entirely essay based

French, Spanish, and other such languages have an essay component, but you are obviously assessed on other factors as well (reading, writing, speaking and listening)

Social sciences e.g. Psychology, Sociology etc claim to be essay-based but in reality they are not essay-based at AS at least. At A2 it's a slightly different story, but even if you are not an essay person you'll still be able to cope.

Actual science subject (Bio, Chem and Physics) are not essay based in the exam but there is a coursework module (depending on exam board) that will require you to write an essay.

This is true to the best of my knowledge. If anyone studies any of these subjects and I've written incorrect information, feel free to correct me.
I had to write and essay for my economics exam :unimpressed:

But yeah subjects like humanities are usually quite essay based, as are social sciences like psychology :smile: and English of course :yep:
Reply 7
Yep- pretty much all of them do (almost definitely at A2 if not at AS) unless you do physics, maths or chemistry.

I wouldn't worry about it though! When I found out I'd have to do a 25 mark essay for biology it sounded impossible as I always thought of
biology as a short answer subject, but when it came to actually doing it it was fine because you're so prepared for it after 2 years of a level :smile: so if you're picking a levels based on how many essays to write... don't. You'll almost certainly have to do them and they sound horrible now but you'll be ready to do them when the time comes!

Quick Reply

Latest