The Student Room Group

Some advice needed!

Hey,
I really want to get back into education but I have no idea how to go about it. I'm 21 now and I dropped out of a-levels due to family and health issues and now I feel like I missed my chance to better myself and achieve what I want in life. :frown:
I'd really appreciate it if anyone had some advice about how I can go about getting into university as it all seems a little daunting at the moment.
Original post by dee1992
Hey,
I really want to get back into education but I have no idea how to go about it. I'm 21 now and I dropped out of a-levels due to family and health issues and now I feel like I missed my chance to better myself and achieve what I want in life. :frown:
I'd really appreciate it if anyone had some advice about how I can go about getting into university as it all seems a little daunting at the moment.

There are Access courses available for students that do not have A levels and who want to go to university.

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Access/About/Pages/Default.aspx

What course would you like to do at university? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by cathyhelen
The Access course is available to students that do not have any A levels who want to go to university.

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Access/About/Pages/Default.aspx

What course would you like to do at university? :smile:

Well I'd like to either do Sociology or Psychosocial studies. I enjoyed both sociology and psychology at school and the job that I am aiming for at the end of it only requires a degree so I thought I may as well do something I will enjoy. I'm only aiming to get into my local university which is quite small and luckily has sociology as a subject there.
Original post by dee1992
Well I'd like to either do Sociology or Psychosocial studies. I enjoyed both sociology and psychology at school and the job that I am aiming for at the end of it only requires a degree so I thought I may as well do something I will enjoy. I'm only aiming to get into my local university which is quite small and luckily has sociology as a subject there.

It should be possible to take Psychology and Sociology on the Access course. However, I would check with your local college to make sure. I have noticed that some of the colleges have different options for the Access course. :smile:

The Access course is equivalent to A levels.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by dee1992

Your best bet is to contact the uni and have a chat, they will tell you where you stand, and what options you have they may have access courses, they may even accept an OU course.
Reply 5
I am 25 and starting university in September due to an access course at my local college. I started my course in September of last year and finished June of this year. It has been intense and a lot of hard work over the last 9 months but I am so excited to be starting uni so it is definitely worth doing :smile:. So get in touch with your local colleges and unis and see what is available and what routes you can take.
Reply 6
Thanks for the replies, it makes me feel like it's actually possible after feeling a little hopeless over it all.
I've just looked at access courses and there is one that would lead into both sociology and psychosocial. It starts in October so I don't have too much time to decide to start the course this year.
Original post by dee1992
Thanks for the replies, it makes me feel like it's actually possible after feeling a little hopeless over it all.
I've just looked at access courses and there is one that would lead into both sociology and psychosocial. It starts in October so I don't have too much time to decide to start the course this year.

Get in touch with them tomorrow. You don't have much time to secure a place on the course, and you won't be committing yourself to it by applying. You can decide later whether it's right for you, but don't delay or you may end up having to wait an extra year.
Reply 8
Original post by dee1992
Hey,

Access course is a good bet. . I didnt do gcses or a-levels because of personal reasons. Started an access course last September and had sociology and psychology as two of my subjects. Now im about to start at Newcastle uni :-). It can be done. . Goodluck x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending