The Student Room Group

Drunken idiot in middle of road, what would you do?

So today I was driving up the main road where I was about to pass a pub on the left but a drunken chav appeared in the middle of the road walking down towards me like a zombie. I slowed down, honked at him, shouted w*nker and swerved to pass him. Then there was a car parked in front of me in middle of road, no one was inside but the headlights were on so I assume someone must've stopped and got out, maybe he hit someone, called the cops or something. I was in a hurry so I thought forget it and move on. So I passed the car and looked at my rear view mirror and saw the drunk guy move to other side of road so the oncoming cars had to stop too. So I then got home in a minute and realized I should've done something like report him to cops but wasn't sure. This guy would've caused an accident or killed himself or commit an insurance fraud etc.

What would you have done if you were me?
Probably would have done exactly what you did to be honest. I usually avoid driving through High Streets at night for this very reason.
Reply 2
Original post by h4mza
So today I was driving up the main road where I was about to pass a pub on the left but a drunken chav appeared in the middle of the road walking down towards me like a zombie. I slowed down, honked at him, shouted w*nker and swerved to pass him. Then there was a car parked in front of me in middle of road, no one was inside but the headlights were on so I assume someone must've stopped and got out, maybe he hit someone, called the cops or something. I was in a hurry so I thought forget it and move on. So I passed the car and looked at my rear view mirror and saw the drunk guy move to other side of road so the oncoming cars had to stop too. So I then got home in a minute and realized I should've done something like report him to cops but wasn't sure. This guy would've caused an accident or killed himself or commit an insurance fraud etc.

yea i'd of got out to see if he was drunk or if he was injured or suffering from a medical issue. i then would have lead him to the side of the road so he wasn't in traffic.

then i'd get back in my car phone 111 (police non emergency) explain the car and him. someone needs to move the car.

alternatively. i would put him in the back of the car. drive off in his car with him in the boot. and then hold him to ransom. MUAHAHAHAA,:colone:
I'd have parked up somewhere then got out and made sure he/she was ok. Then first I'd try and convince them to call someone who could pick them up and waited with them. If that didn't work, I guess I'd call the police. At least they'd be safe.

Drunken people might be idiotic prats at times, but I wouldn't want them getting hurt/accidently hurting someone else.
people might be doing something strange like standing in the middle of the road for a reason - e.g. they're trying to slow you down because there's been an accident... or they might just be off their face on booze.

if the're off their face on booze, honking and insulting them probably isn't going to make them any more cooperative tbh

some things are totally unpredictable but drunks coming out of pubs at kicking out time isn't really one of them tbh so you need to pay a lot of attention when going past one - or just avoid those roads around kicking out. as mentioned above.
Original post by h4mza

I probably pull over and call the police, on average, about once a year for these sorts of incidents. Once saw what appeared to be a body on a dual carriageway, couldn't stop but immediately called the police.
I have no idea what I would do, thankfully haven't encountered any yet....prob be **** scared though
Pull over and call the Police.
Let the donkey to move aside when he's done. I won't harm him because I am a member of WWF :biggrin:
Maybe the drunken chav had been in the car that was abandoned?

I would have called the police (non-emergency number) and told them.

The other day I was driving down an unlit 40mph road with 3 lanes, coming off a roundabout and I saw a cyclist (some stupid young kid wearing no reflective jacket or anything) and then to my right (I was in the left hand lane) I saw his friends cycling across the road, and then a guy overtook me and missed a guy on the bike literally by inches.

I didn't bother reporting it to the police (the kids on the bikes, not the guy who almost hit them) because what would they have even been able to do?

Your case might be a little different if the guy was actually in an accident, but I say let the problem of stupidity take care of itself.

Original post by just a dad
I probably pull over and call the police, on average, about once a year for these sorts of incidents. Once saw what appeared to be a body on a dual carriageway, couldn't stop but immediately called the police.

I saw this on Road Wars once. They said it happens often and it's usually a road worker's uniform/high-visibility jacket they left lying next to the road.
Reply 10
I'd have stopped and got out and tried to see if I could help.

Last time there was a "drunken idiot" staggering towards me in the middle of the road it actually turned out to be a woman having a diabetic hypo...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending