The Student Room Group

tips for till work?

I just got a summer job in a shop and have done a few shifts but at the end I'm always down on money at my till!!
I have to check the float in the morning and the till is locked away over my lunch and I just don't know where I'm going wrong! They're being really good about it but I can tell they're not pleased and I don't want it to continue!
I was just wondering if anyone with more experience had any tips for till work because it's starting to get to me and I was really hoping they'd keep me on after my contract ran out :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Thats really not good. I think you may need to top up on your math skills and double check you are receiving the correct money and giving the correct change

Posted from TSR Mobile
I work in retail myself and if I go on tills I ALWAYS double check to see what the customer has given me in money and I always double check the change that I get out of the till if needed before handing it to the customer.

So my advice would be double check the change you get out of the till (if needed) before handing it to the customer. Also double check how much they give you as well :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, same. Double check what you are given and the change you are giving. Slow down a bit until it all becomes second nature. I'm sure your bosses would rather you were slower at serving rather than down on money, just for a little while :-)
You just have to be extra careful; it's quite easy over the course of the day for a few pence here and there to add up and make your til down.

Make sure you always count your float more than once to double check because that can sometimes be an issue (I've found my float £1 short several times at work, once or twice it's even been £5 up or down; sometimes people just don't concentrate when they make it up). Be careful checking what people give you, especially if they give you a lot of coins, and double check when you give change back (again, especially if it's a lot of coins-it's surprisingly easy to accidentally give someone an extra £1 or something if you're having to give them a whole handful of coins). If you can, count it back to them.

It might make you slower to begin with, but once your accuracy improves and you've had plenty of practice, you should get quicker.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending