The Student Room Group

Are these grades good enough?

I've just finished year 10, and moving into year 11 after the summer term. These are my predicted grades at the moment. I don't mean to be to arrogant, but I know for sure I'll achieve these by the end of year 11.

But essentially, are these grades good enough to study Maths, Further maths, Economics and English Literature at a-level?

Maths - A
English Literature - A
English Language - B
Core Science - C
Additional Science - C
History - B+
ICT - B+
ECS - B+
Technology (Resistant Materials) - C
Art - C ( I missed my mock because I was extremely ill) But to be quite honest I'm going to request for a change, because I've totally lost interest in it, and it's a pointless GCSE.

I was just wondering, do you think my predicted grades are good enough (particularly the ones I wish to continue at a-levels)?

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MoniC255
I've just finished year 10, and moving into year 11 after the summer term. These are my predicted grades at the moment. I don't mean to be to arrogant, but I know for sure I'll achieve these by the end of year 11.

But essentially, are these grades good enough to study Maths, Further maths, Economics and English Literature at a-level?

Maths - A
English Literature - A
English Language - B
Core Science - C
Additional Science - C
History - B+
ICT - B+
ECS - B+
Art - C ( I missed my mock because I was extremely ill) But to be quite honest I'm going to request for a change, because I've totally lost interest in it, and it's a pointless GCSE.

I was just wondering, do you think my predicted grades are good enough (particularly the ones I wish to continue at a-levels)?

Thanks

the only thing that determines whether they are good enough is your sixth form place of education - at mine , you needed an A in the subject you wanted to study at A level and all other subjects between A* and C , but preferably A* and B. so at my sixth form (which was a super selective) , you wouldn't have been able to do anything but math and english lit , but yours may be different.
Ask at school to see what the minimum requirement at GCSE is to take the subject onto A level but if you're getting A's in Maths and English then it should be fine :smile: Also, when you choose your A-levels make sure you state a strong preference for economics (if too many people normally want to do it at your school and they can only choose some people) and you should be able to take economics too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by hotliketea
the only thing that determines whether they are good enough is your sixth form place of education - at mine , you needed an A in the subject you wanted to study at A level and all other subjects between A* and C , but preferably A* and B. so at my sixth form (which was a super selective) , you wouldn't have been able to do anything but math and english lit , but yours may be different.

Do you live in London? Just out of curiosity.

If you do, you may of heard Woodhouse College, North London.
Their requirements aren't as high as your place of education.
For Maths, you'd need a minimum of B at GCSE. And if you wished to study Further Maths, you'd need an A or A* at GCSE - minimum.
For economics you would also need a minimum of B in Maths GCSE.
And finally if you wish to study English Literature you'd need a minimum of a B at GCSE.

Wouldn't they let a B+ student study their wished subject?
Do you live in London? Just out of curiosity.

If you do, you may of heard Woodhouse College, North London.
Their requirements aren't as high as your place of education.
For Maths, you'd need a minimum of B at GCSE. And if you wished to study Further Maths, you'd need an A or A* at GCSE - minimum.
For economics you would also need a minimum of B in Maths GCSE.
And finally if you wish to study English Literature you'd need a minimum of a B at GCSE.

Wouldn't they let a B+ student study their wished subject?

i live in south london but i've never heard of that place

what's a B+ student? at my school , they would look at the grades - there's no + or - based on how high your points were within the grade , so as there's no such thing as B+ technically on paper , no , they wouldn't have been able to study their chosen subject

idk , i think it's right for my school because they're super selective , but i know school's usually make it a lot lower - like you need only B's or even C's in the chosen subject.

i also didn't go to a college - i went to secondary school there and then moved to their sixth form so it's in keeping that the grades would be higher than a college i believe?
Reply 5
Original post by Edison'sWords
Ask at school to see what the minimum requirement at GCSE is to take the subject onto A level but if you're getting A's in Maths and English then it should be fine :smile: Also, when you choose your A-levels make sure you state a strong preference for economics (if too many people normally want to do it at your school and they can only choose some people) and you should be able to take economics too

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do not plan to continue to study further there, so there requirements are irrelevant.

I plan to go to another college, due to their good reputation, and generally learning.

I know I need to definitely work to improve my Technology grade and my Additional Science grade. We've already done our real GCSE Core Science exam in May, and we will be receiving our results on the 26th of August. I'm certain that I failed or achieved a C due to my coursework grade - C, and awful teaching. If I do fail or achieve a C, I'm planning to re-take the exam so I achieve a minimum of a grade B.

Thanks
I'm pretty sure you'll be able to do all of the subjects. In some schools, though, there's a test for Further Maths but sometimes, they require an A* to get into the class but don't worry, I heard that some classes' accept you, if you pass the test.

I'm not sure about other schools, but in my school, you only need a B or over in English Lang. and Maths and 5A*s-Cs to get into Economics but with the revisions in the laws and the fact that some schools have higher expectations, they might require an A or A*. Although, I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to take those A-levels.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar
Reply 7
i live in south london but i've never heard of that place

what's a B+ student? at my school , they would look at the grades - there's no + or - based on how high your points were within the grade , so as there's no such thing as B+ technically on paper , no , they wouldn't have been able to study their chosen subject

idk , i think it's right for my school because they're super selective , but i know school's usually make it a lot lower - like you need only B's or even C's in the chosen subject.

i also didn't go to a college - i went to secondary school there and then moved to their sixth form so it's in keeping that the grades would be higher than a college i believe?

You've never heard of Woodhouse College?
Anyways a vast majority of secondary schools ( including mine) have grades ranging from U, G, F, E, D,D-,D+,C-,C,C+,B-,B,B+,A-,A AND A+
That's weird your place of education only have straight grades.

By the way a B+ student is a person who achieves B+'s

Is your school a private school or selection?
You've never heard of Woodhouse College?
Anyways a vast majority of secondary schools ( including mine) have grades ranging from U, G, F, E, D,D-,D+,C-,C,C+,B-,B,B+,A-,A AND A+
That's weird your place of education only have straight grades.

By the way a B+ student is a person who achieves B+'s

Is your school a private school or selection?

selection... has this B+ thing been added recently to the education system? when i took GCSE's two years ago there was no such thing as B+ or B- or anything + or -.

anyway , my sixth form didn't have straight grades - it just kicked out the kids who didn't make it in :P my boyfriend's sixth form which is nearby has even stricter requirements which they made stricter this year which is worrying for his younger brother but eh
Reply 9
selection... has this B+ thing been added recently to the education system? when i took GCSE's two years ago there was no such thing as B+ or B- or anything + or -.

anyway , my sixth form didn't have straight grades - it just kicked out the kids who didn't make it in :P my boyfriend's sixth form which is nearby has even stricter requirements which they made stricter this year which is worrying for his younger brother but eh

Well my older brother took his GCSE's seven years ago, and there were those grades I described. So I'm not sure whether it's your just your school? - also considering its a selection school makes more sense.

What grade did you have to achieve in order to stay in?
Well my older brother took his GCSE's seven years ago, and there were those grades I described. So I'm not sure whether it's your just your school? - also considering its a selection school makes more sense.

What grade did you have to achieve in order to stay in?

... GCSE's are a national qualification , so you are given the qualifications by the state , not by your school. i'm pretty sure they got rid of the + and - like five years ago , although whether they have brought it back in or not i don't know. it definitely did not exist anywhere in england when i sat GCSEs - i would not get different grades to the rest of england , that would just be confusing and completely undo the point of having a national qualification.

i sat something like 24 exams and was taking 13 subjects , but i got 4 A*s , the rest As and one B in drama which is ugh. also , i took an engineering diploma in which i got 7 A*s but overall it was only ever counted as one A* despite the tremendous amount of effort that went in to that diploma eurgh
Reply 11
... GCSE's are a national qualification , so you are given the qualifications by the state , not by your school. i'm pretty sure they got rid of the + and - like five years ago , although whether they have brought it back in or not i don't know. it definitely did not exist anywhere in england when i sat GCSEs - i would not get different grades to the rest of england , that would just be confusing and completely undo the point of having a national qualification.

i sat something like 24 exams and was taking 13 subjects , but i got 4 A*s , the rest As and one B in drama which is ugh. also , i took an engineering diploma in which i got 7 A*s but overall it was only ever counted as one A* despite the tremendous amount of effort that went in to that diploma eurgh

Aha, you must be pretty intelligent then?

Obviously not. Maybe it's just your school that don't do the grades I described.
Reply 12
Your school may view your grades as B-, B, B+, etc but other places will only see C, B, A, etc. It is not an official thing to have a B+.

If you're going to a college then what you need to do to know if you can take those A levels is look it up / ask them. They will tell you what you normally require and there will probably be a little bit of leeway.

I'd recommend working that little bit extra on your Core and Additional Science. The important stuff are the physics modules which will be useful in A-level Maths and Further Maths.

Maths - A
English Literature - A
English Language - B
Core Science - C
Additional Science - C
History - B+
ICT - B+
ECS - B+

Thanks

It depends on the sixth form/college you go to if you'll be allowed to study them at a level :smile:

I know from colleges and sixth forms in my area that they will let you study those a levels with the grades you have at GCSE. However, it might be best to try and get an A* in maths if you wish to study further maths :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Black Rose
It depends on the sixth form/college you go to if you'll be allowed to study them at a level :smile:

I know from colleges and sixth forms in my area that they will let you study those a levels with the grades you have at GCSE. However, it might be best to try and get an A* in maths if you wish to study further maths :smile:

Yeah, that's what I also thought. I'm just going to go through past papers and see the format of the paper. They ask similar questions anyway, so I'd get the hang of it eventually.

Do you live in London?

Cheers
Yeah, that's what I also thought. I'm just going to go through past papers and see the format of the paper. They ask similar questions anyway, so I'd get the hang of it eventually.

Do you live in London?

Cheers

For further maths?

No, I don't live in London.
Reply 16
For further maths?

No, I don't live in London.

No, Maths at GCSE. I'm moving into year 11 after the summer term.
I'm going through past papers, so I know the general format in order to achieve an A*.
Ah, whereabouts?
No, Maths at GCSE. I'm moving into year 11 after the summer term.
I'm going through past papers, so I know the general format in order to achieve an A*.
Ah, whereabouts?
Oh right. That's a good idea :smile: Have you been on the y10 thread, btw?

Birningham!
Aha, you must be pretty intelligent then?

Obviously not. Maybe it's just your school that don't do the grades I described.

No, most schools don't do what yoy described. In fact, the majority don't. You can't get + or - grades at GCSE.

Also, since you're planning on doing further maths, it's probably best to aim for the A* in maths
Reply 19
Oh right. That's a good idea :smile: Have you been on the y10 thread, btw?

Birningham!

Yeah, I done that like a month or two ago!

Ah, I've always wanted to live there for some reason.

Presumably, you're in Uni or College?

Quick Reply

Latest