The Student Room Group

what does your average meal plan at uni consist of?

so i'm starting university in September and one of my main worries about uni is my diet but i'm also genuinely interested in what people eat at uni. Everyone i've seen has either lost weight from lack of eating and drinking far too much alcohol, or gained weight due to an extortionate amount of take aways and freezer foods. What do you usually eat on a regular day? Do you have a set meal plan for days?

This can apply to upcoming uni students like me, i plan on trying to stay healthy, lots of protein and going to the gym at least 3 times a week :smile:
usually some sort of cereal or a slice of toast for breakfast, my lunch changed all the time from sandwiches to pittas to soup...dinner i'll eat pasta,chilli,bolognese,fish etc...

i don't have a set meal plan, i'm not very organised. i usually don't know what im having for dinner than day until im starving :tongue:
I live at home so...

I eat breakfast before going to uni, I pack lunch, and I have dinner at home
Original post by idelaghetto
so i'm starting university in September and one of my main worries about uni is my diet but i'm also genuinely interested in what people eat at uni. Everyone i've seen has either lost weight from lack of eating and drinking far too much alcohol, or gained weight due to an extortionate amount of take aways and freezer foods. What do you usually eat on a regular day? Do you have a set meal plan for days?

This can apply to upcoming uni students like me, i plan on trying to stay healthy, lots of protein and going to the gym at least 3 times a week :smile:

I tried three healthy meals a day it just got too expensive paying say £3 for two chicken breast would do 4 meals and then buying rice, pasta sauces when a microwave meal costs £1-1.50. Fresh fruit is also expensive and doesn't last very long. My advice would be to buy meat in bulk and individually bag it a freeze it and go halves with a flatmate for perishable stuff except for milk and butter and stuff anything you can spilt really fruit veg packs, I ended up throwing a lot of stuff away and this really helped me to save money.

Shop around as well I go round a few different shops rarely use the supermarkets but beware sometimes it might seem like a good deal but it's not so say some of the meat I was buying before I changed butchers was a bit on the small side so I'd have to buy twice as much.
I don't have a set meal plan but most of my meals contain a mixture of vegetables like broccoli carrots, peas and sweetcorn stuff like that because I buy the mixed frozen vegetables. The veg will usually be accompanied by chicken or fish. I'll often make sweet potato or regular potato wedges as they're easy and quite quick to make. And I'll sometimes make sausage, onion, chopped tomato and sweet potato casseroles which can be cheap as chips to make. Pasta is often on the menu as well.

I did gain weight at uni but I think it was from the ridiculous amount of alcohol, it's just empty calories and you don't realise when you're drinking how much it adds up.
I try to maintain consistency with my meals and keep them relatively healthy because I don't want to gain a lot of weight either but of course there are moments when I cannot be bothered to cook/ prepare a packed lunch and this results in a packet of crisps and a chocolate bar (or two) being my lunch and dinner. My meals mainly consist of:

Breakfast:
- A bowl of cereal and half a grapefruit
or
- A Hot beverage and toast

Lunch:
- Chicken with mixed vegetables, water and a sweet treat (normally a yoghurt or cereal bar)
or
- Cheese sandwich, water and fruits (a mixture of strawberries, nectarines and grapes as these are the only fruits I can stand)
or
- A hot meal from my university canteen

Dinner:
- Chicken with rice and peas
or
- Spinach and pasta
or
- Cup-a-soup and cream crackers
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Technetium
I try to maintain consistency with my meals and keep them relatively healthy because I don't want to gain a lot of weight either but of course there are moments when I cannot be bothered to cook/ prepare a packed lunch and this results in a packet of crisps and a chocolate bar (or two) being my lunch and dinner. My meals mainly consist of:

Breakfast:
- A bowl of cereal and half a grapefruit
or
- A Hot beverage and toast

Lunch:
- Chicken with mixed vegetables, water and a sweet treat (normally a yoghurt or cereal bar)
or
- Cheese sandwich, water and fruits (a mixture of strawberries, nectarines and grapes as these are the only fruits I can stand)
or
- A hot meal from my university canteen

Dinner:
- Chicken with rice and peas
or
- Spinach and pasta
or
- Cup-a-soup and cream crackers
god yeh eat nothing

must be a stick
Original post by trustmeimlying1
god yeh eat nothing

must be a stick

Far from it actually.

I also snack a lot. :tongue:
Original post by Technetium
Far from it actually.

I also snack a lot. :tongue:

extremely little p

trust me haha
Reply 9
I buy large Yorkshire puddings from asda, think there like 3 for a £1, Get some chicken breast fry it up, Add gravy and veg, leave to simmer to cook the veg, whack the yorkshire pud in the oven ( Only needs like 5-6 mins ) tip chicken and veg into yorkshire pud.

Maybe add some Mash potato or some roasties and you pretty much have a cheap Sunday roast.

Quick Reply

Latest