The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Multicultural UK is a big misconception

Britain being a "multicultural society" is a huge misconception.

If you leave London and the South East, the only places in the UK you really find multi-cultural communities are the major cities and that's pretty much it.

There are lots of places in the UK where you dont find foreigners: the South-West, The North

Why do people think foreigners are taking over. Britain is still very much a white britain.

Scroll to see replies

You can hardly call the people who say that non-whites are "taking over" rational, that's sort of a given.
Reply 2
But even whites in Cornwall or Devon or North Yorkshire or wherever don't follow a "British" culture necessarily. So we're multicultural because we don't have a strictly unified culture. People say this is PC, but it's fact. In terms of food, dress, music, even language, the UK is less unified than it was 50 years ago.
Original post by honeyandlemon

If you leave London and the South East, the only places in the UK you really find multi-cultural communities are the major cities and that's pretty much it.

There are lots of places in the UK where you dont find foreigners: the South-West, The North

Why do people think foreigners are taking over. Britain is still very much a white britain.

Erm I live in the North and I'm only partially white British I know loads of non white british people don't know where that's come from
Well up North apart from Manchester and a few other areas, there isn't really anyone.

I don't know how you want say this. The percentage of non ethnic British has risen from less than 1% in 1950, to around 10% in year 2000 to around 20% at the last census.

A third of children born today in the UK are born to foreign parents:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10029547/Third-of-children-born-in-England-has-foreign-born-parent.html

Are you a fairy in a soap bubble?
(edited 9 years ago)
The indigenous population are rapidly being rendered a minority in large towns and cities. Percentage of white British in selected urban authorities in 2001 and 2011 (census figures):

Bedford 80.8%(2001) -> 71.5% (2011)
Birmingham 65.6%(2001) -> 53.1% (2011)
Blackburn 76.1%(2001) -> 66.5% (2011)
Bristol 88.0%(2001) -> 77.9% (2011)
Bradford 76.1%(2001) -> 63.9% (2011)
Brighton 88.0%(2001) -> 80.5% (2011)
Bournemouth 92.5%(2001) -> 83.8% (2011)
Cardiff 88.3%(2001) -> 80.3% (2011)
Cambridge 78.5%(2001) -> 66.0% (2011)
Coventry 78.3%(2001) -> 66.6% (2011)
Crawley 84.5%(2001) -> 72.1% (2011)
Derby 84.4%(2001) -> 75.3% (2011)
Gravesham 87.2%(2001) -> 77.1% (2011)
Ipswich 90.8%(2001) -> 82.9% (2011)
Kirklees 83.7%(2001) -> 76.7% (2011)
Leeds 89.2%(2001) -> 81.1% (2011)
Leicester 60.5%(2001) -> 45.1% (2011)
Liverpool 91.8%(2001) -> 84.8% (2011)
Luton 65.0%(2001) -> 44.6% (2011)
Manchester 74.5%(2001) -> 59.3% (2011)
Milton Keynes 86.8%(2001) -> 73.9% (2011)
Newcastle 90.7%(2001) -> 81.9% (2011)
Northampton 87.7%(2001) -> 76.6% (2011)
Norwich 93.5%(2001) -> 84.7% (2011)
Nottingham 81.1%(2001) -> 65.4% (2011)
Oxford 76.8%(2001) -> 63.6% (2011)
Peterborough 85.75%(2001) -> 70.9% (2011)
Portsmouth 91.9%(2001) -> 84.0% (2011)
Preston 83.1%(2001) -> 75.8% (2011)
Reading 80.6%(2001) -> 65.3% (2011)
Sandwell 78.0%(2001) -> 65.8% (2011)
Sheffield 89.2%(2001) -> 80.8% (2011)
Slough 58.3%(2001) -> 34.5% (2011)
Southampton 88.7%(2001) -> 77.7% (2011)
Swansea 95.7%(2001) -> 91.5% (2011)
Walsall 85.2%(2001) -> 76.9% (2011)
Wolverhampton 75.4%(2001) -> 64.5% (2011)
Wycombe 83.6%(2001) -> 75.9% (2011)

Multiculturalism and multi-ethnicism are not the same thing. There are lots of black people for instance, who are demonstrative of British culture. Similarly, lots of white people, for example some Eastern Europeans, can be said not to follow British culture.

It's important to make this distinction.
Conflating race and culture is just really ****ing stupid.

People from different economic groups are far more likely to have similar interests, outlooks, beliefs than people that happen to have the same colour skin or hair or whatever.
I completely agree with OP. There are people at my Uni who had never seen a non-white person until they came to Uni. The countryside is the perfect example, there are very few people of colour in the countryside. I don't even know why, but it seems other races just don't want to here.
Original post by DiddyDec
I completely agree with OP. There are people at my Uni who had never seen a non-white person until they came to Uni. The countryside is the perfect example, there are very few people of colour in the countryside. I don't even know why, but it seems other races just don't want to here.

Very few jobs, very little support structure for people who might struggle to integrate themselves initially.

Not many people of any race or culture move to the country at a young economically active age anyway, it tends to be either middle/upper class early retirees or people who grew up there and never left.
I'm British Indian and I went to University in Manchester (I'm originally from the South-East) and at Uni, I met so many people who had gone to all white schools and had never had any ethnic minority friends.

I was pretty suprised. I thought going to University of Manchester it would be really cosmopolitan and I would meet lots of people from everywhere. But I was often the only asian girl in a lot of lecturers and seminars.
Original post by cole-slaw
Very few jobs, very little support structure for people who might struggle to integrate themselves initially.

Not many people of any race or culture move to the country at a young economically active age anyway, it tends to be either middle/upper class early retirees or people who grew up there and never left.

There are plenty of jobs, in my local town there are quite literally hundreds of Eastern Europeans who work on the fruit farms. Yet there are no people of colour.
It is because London and the South East is the economic core of the British nation, it dominates politics and media. We fear that multi-culturalism is being forced upon us.
Multiculturalism has nothing to do with replacement level mass immigration policy.

Japan has virtually no immigration but is one of the most modern, advanced and multicultural societies in the world.

Mass immigration, not immigration, is ruining the unique character of the UK. The unique character of the UK is now only found outside of the major cities. The 'multicultural' cities are monocultural, no different from other western cities. They have no unique character.
Quite a lot eastern euros working on the farms and in fish processing plants in Eastern/Northern Scotland. Every city has some sort of colony; Plymouth has a great deal of Chinese for example.
Original post by sdotd
I live in Birmingham and some areas in the city are areas where you don't go if you are white or black as you get hounded out and beaten up. Birmingham can be really unsafe in some areas. I'm Indian so when I go to these areas, the people think i'm muslim so I am treated fairly but if you are black or white, you're not welcome.

Iv lived in Birmingham for 22 years and that's nonsense.. White people get along with Asians and vice versa..
Reply 17
Multiculturalism robbing us of our homeland but no we don't matter do we?

Any politician who encourages this should be on trial for treason.
Original post by capitalismstinks
Multiculturalism has nothing to do with replacement level mass immigration policy.

Japan has virtually no immigration but is one of the most modern, advanced and multicultural societies in the world.

Mass immigration, not immigration, is ruining the unique character of the UK. The unique character of the UK is now only found outside of the major cities. The 'multicultural' cities are monocultural, no different from other western cities. They have no unique character.

Yeh and in 20 years, the Japanese will be selling more adult diapers than baby diapers.

Japan is a great example of the type of disaster that is occurs when you operate an irrational xenophobic immigration policy.
Reply 19

False assumptions everywhere.

You equate multiculturalism with the presence of "foreigners" and with the absence of a "white Britain".

There might be nothing "multicultural" about an ethnically Indian guy (non-white but not a "foreigner") who self-identifies as 100% British. What would be multicultural about him? his skin colour?

There's probably something "multicultural" about a Romanian guy (white but "foreigner") who migrated to the UK only to earn money. Such a person might not consider the UK to be his "home". But we couldn't know that from the fact that he's a "foreigner" (I assume this means his mother tongue is not a variety of British English). He might, for all we know, work and live exactly like a British person would. So, again, it's not clear that there would be anything "multicultural" about him on the basis of his mother tongue or place of birth.

Multiculturalism is not solely about ethnicity. In fact, ethnicity is pretty much irrelevant and says nothing about a person's "culture". A heavily assimilationist state policy which promoted only whatever the state considers the "dominant culture" to be, can still allow for open borders and thus widespread ethnic diversity. It would simply "force" migrants to follow a particular way of life.

Now, there are huge problems with the last 2 paragraphs but these are only my initial thoughts. I have implicitly accepted, arguendo, that it is easy to say which people are British and which are not on the basis of "their way of life" (as though British people follow A particular way of life or even fall into a range of specific ways of life not preferred by "non-Brits").
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending