The Student Room Group

Need help on music degree - entry Sept 2015

Hi all,

I just completed AS for 3 subjects: Music, Maths and Biz Studies.

I would like to go for music composition plus some music technology programs, now I have in mind: Birmingham Conservatoire, Leeds college of Music. I have no idea how good my composition ability is, so I am open to apply for performance plus music technology.

Could anyone suggest an good undergrad programs in universities or other Conservatoires? Thanks.
Original post by BWV911
Hi all,

I just completed AS for 3 subjects: Music, Maths and Biz Studies.

I would like to go for music composition plus some music technology programs, now I have in mind: Birmingham Conservatoire, Leeds college of Music. I have no idea how good my composition ability is, so I am open to apply for performance plus music technology.

Could anyone suggest an good undergrad programs in universities or other Conservatoires? Thanks.

The music departments at Bristol, Kings and Manchester are excellent but they do have quite high entry standards. I applied for music this year at Bristol, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Goldsmiths and I'd recommend any of those universities for music - I'm going to Newcastle and they have a fantastic department.

In terms of conservatoires, it's usually performance degrees but you could do composition (although you'd have to be an accomplished composition student to get into this at a conservatoire) so I'd suggest looking more at universities.
Reply 2
Original post by DylanJ96
The music departments at Bristol, Kings and Manchester are excellent but they do have quite high entry standards. I applied for music this year at Bristol, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Goldsmiths and I'd recommend any of those universities for music - I'm going to Newcastle and they have a fantastic department.

In terms of conservatoires, it's usually performance degrees but you could do composition (although you'd have to be an accomplished composition student to get into this at a conservatoire) so I'd suggest looking more at universities.

Thanks. I am quite confident in my AS results in music and Maths, however quite worry about the Biz Studies. That's part of the reason I widen the choices at Conservatoires in case I don't fit universities' academic requirements.
Hello! I am a student from the Philippines currently on my third year at a university. I decided to study at UK and enter at year 1 (I went to a local university to get music subjects). I have been studying piano for about 8 years now and I think I have a decent over all repertoire.

Here are my choices (in order of preference):
CUKAS: Royal welsh, Trinity, Royal Scottish, Brimingham (all auditioning by DVD/recording)
UCAS: London College of Music, Royal Holloway, Goldsmiths, Cardiff, Sheffield

I desperately need a scholarship. I know that for UK conservatoires, they give entrance scholarships based on audition, however, on Universities, I am struggling to find any scholarships available especially aGoldsmiths.

any thoughts on this? Really need opinions right now.

also my audition pieces for the conservatoires are:
Bach- Prelude and Fugue no. 12 in f minor BWV 881 WTC II
Schumann- Sonata no. 2 op. 22 in g minor 1st mov
Brahms- Rhapsody op. 79 no. 1
Chopin- Nocturne op. 27 no. 2 (not sure to include this, but yeah, whatever lol)

Quick Reply

Latest