The Student Room Group

Engineering A level?

Is an Engineering A level a good choice to go along with Maths, Physics and Economics (with a view to drop economics after AS) for wanting to pursue Engineering at University? Ideally, a top 10 University? I am struggling to find anything about anyone having done an engineering A level...

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

No, it's not a good idea. Stick with the traditional subjects and do Further Maths. Forget Economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mr.Intelligent
No, it's not a good idea. Stick with the traditional subjects and do Further Maths. Forget Economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

What precisely is wrong with the engineering A-level?
Original post by Smack
What precisely is wrong with the engineering A-level?

Cambridge doesn't recommend it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
You could always do chemistry unless your set on Civil / Mechanical engineering

If your Gcses are really good, you should pick Further Maths so that you have a shot at the likes of Imperial, Cambridge etc
(edited 9 years ago)
Cambridge doesn't recommend it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So? I asked what's wrong with the study of the A-level, and was hoping for a satisfactory answer to the suggestion that the engineering A-level would not be a good idea for studying an engineering degree.

I don't know what the A-level contains, as I didn't do A-levels myself, but can't see why it wouldn't be a good idea alongside the favourites: maths (and preferably further maths) and physics.

And I agree about economics.
Original post by Smack
So? I asked what's wrong with the study of the A-level, and was hoping for a satisfactory answer to the suggestion that the engineering A-level would not be a good idea for studying an engineering degree.

I don't know what the A-level contains, as I didn't do A-levels myself, but can't see why it wouldn't be a good idea alongside the favourites: maths (and preferably further maths) and physics.

Well, it is all that matters. All the top universities are alike. If Cambridge doesn't recommend it, Imperial, Durham etc would not recommend it. You'll re learn everything you did in that subject in first semester. Does that make any sense to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Hi Mr.Intelligent,
Thank you for your informations it was really worth,do you have any ideas about how many years they limited to do ALevel in one subject. I mean is it possible if i did Alevel Math and Further Math myself out side school and wait to finish Chemistry and Physics at school two years later? Which mean when apply Cambridge I will have Math and Further Math A* and As Chem and Physics?

Many thanks
I've got offers to study Engineering @ Cambridge and Civil Engineering @ Imperial and I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and History. Do traditional subjects. I regret not picking Chemistry instead of History.
Original post by Kabulkid
I've got offers to study Engineering @ Cambridge and Civil Engineering @ Imperial and I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and History. Do traditional subjects. I regret not picking Chemistry instead of History.

HI Kabulkid,
Which college you got offered and what about condition?
Original post by Nutthanun
HI Kabulkid,
Which college you got offered and what about condition?

I don't want to say College because I don't wunna give away my identity but offer is A*A*A + 1 in STEP I.
I don't want to say College because I don't wunna give away my identity but offer is A*A*A + 1 in STEP I.

Congratulation!!
Original post by Smack

From looking at a past paper it looks like the course is really simplistic. The stuff you learn may be relevant but you'll cover everything very quickly and much more detail. I'm not saying traditional subjects are not simplistic as well. However, they tend to provide a foundation to build on.

Whereas engineering A level doesn't really serve as a foundation for anything has no maths.
So you're better off doing another subject.
Hi Mr.Intelligent,
Thank you for your informations it was really worth,do you have any ideas about how many years they limited to do ALevel in one subject. I mean is it possible if i did Alevel Math and Further Math myself out side school and wait to finish Chemistry and Physics at school two years later? Which mean when apply Cambridge I will have Math and Further Math A* and As Chem and Physics?

Many thanks

Yeah, Cambridge likes to see everything done with the 2 years. Especially the maths. It might be a problem if it's done over the course of 3 years. If anything, do the maths (both of them) last. I'd email them and ask if I were you though. Can't you just do Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry at your school? Also, they like to see that students self studied subjects, so that'll be a plus for you. Email the college you're interested in admissions department, they'll be glad to help.

No one will find out your identity by just that :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, Cambridge likes to see everything done with the 2 years. Especially the maths. It might be a problem if it's done over the course of 3 years. If anything, do the maths (both of them) last. I'd email them and ask if I were you though. Can't you just do Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry at your school? Also, they like to see that students self studied subjects, so that'll be a plus for you. Email the college you're interested in admissions department, they'll be glad to help.

No one will find out your identity by just that :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks you for all advised,I will ask college admissions that might help.
Original post by Mike93L
From looking at a past paper it looks like the course is really simplistic. The stuff you learn may be relevant but you'll cover everything very quickly and much more detail. I'm not saying traditional subjects are not simplistic as well. However, they tend to provide a foundation to build on.

Whereas engineering A level doesn't really serve as a foundation for anything has no maths.
So you're better off doing another subject.

Is there a syllabus or any past papers I can find online to check it out for myself?

You say it's simplistic; however, in the experience of my company, it's the simplistic stuff that engineering graduates struggle with the most, e.g. what type of "metal" to make that out of, proper dimensioning, tolerance stack-ups, GD&T, etc., as opposed to the more challenging things like, say, stress or thermal analysis.

Also I'm referring to mechanical here; it may be a different story with other disciplines.
Original post by Smack
Is there a syllabus or any past papers I can find online to check it out for myself?

You say it's simplistic; however, in the experience of my company, it's the simplistic stuff that engineering graduates struggle with the most, e.g. what type of "metal" to make that out of, proper dimensioning, tolerance stack-ups, GD&T, etc., as opposed to the more challenging things like, say, stress or thermal analysis.

Also I'm referring to mechanical here; it may be a different story with other disciplines.

I just googled 'engineering a level' and looked on Edexcel's website.
Thanks you for all advised,I will ask college admissions that might help.

Did it help? What happened?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mike93L
I just googled 'engineering a level' and looked on Edexcel's website.

Checked it out and it is indeed quite basic, which is a shame, but does still do a little bit to cover some of the things that graduate engineers are lacking.

I don't think it'd be a bad idea for an engineering applicant to take it alongside the usual maths and physics, if offered. They should be able to ace it, in fact, and I think that someone who was to turn their nose up at it probably doesn't have a full understanding of what engineering really is. But it's not really that important overall, because I can't imagine many schools or colleges having the resources available to actually teach it, and it'll have no-use for anyone who doesn't intend on studying engineering.

Quick Reply

Latest