The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

PETROC Campus (Barnstable) anyone got experience of this place?

Hey folks, I'm currently looking at applying for university in 2015

I'm looking at the foundation degree music technology & production which is accredited by plymouth Uni but the course is at the PETROC campus

I like the appeal of the area in general as I quite honestly have had it with city living but I'm trying not to let that cloud my judgement.

I have some questions about PETROC if anyone can answer:

1. What is it like as somewhere to study?
2. Would you recommend it?
3. How would you rate the area in general?
4. Is there any form of accommodation for Degree students?

Generally I'm just looking for some honest opinions on the pace if anyone can offer them as I'm struggling to find a lot about it

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer :smile:
Reply 1
Hi, I have just completed a foundation degree at PETROC Barnstaple and have lived in the area for 22 years.

If you are looking for the typical student lifestyle, you probably aren't going to get it. There isn't really any community for degree students yet. The college are in the early days of providing higher education and seem to focus more on further education students.

Most students are those who live in the area and also work etc. There isn't any student accommodation, you will have to look for a typical flat/house/room.

I really enjoyed my course and it provided me with valuable experiences that I don't believe I would have had if I had chosen to go with the typical route of gaining a degree.

I LOVE the area, the beaches and scenery are stunning. It's a slow pace of life and to get any where quickly you will need a car.

It is a completely different way of life in comparison to city living; some love it an others hate it... I certainly hope I can come back and begin my career in the area after my final year at Plymouth university.
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi,
I'm curious as to where you went after enquiring into the Petroc College because I was in this situation around July/August.
I also had the same questions to ask, but decided to go for it and move out here. The area is a really nice place to live, coming from a sort of city environment. I've found the people here are extremely friendly and the beach is pretty close.
One of my main concerns moving here though, was the sort of student lifestyle that I was looking for. There is only one main club, and the pubs are just the standard small town pubs. As for the accommodation I had to get a house share, and got lucky and found people around my age.
Reply 3
Hey, Sorry I know this is an old post, just interested as to what people actually think of Petroc, Barnstaple. I really want to do a foundation degree in Law there next year :smile: Just wandered if the HE courses there are good or whether it would be worth waiting and doing all 3 years somewhere else....

Cheers :smile:
Original post by kgammon1
Hey, Sorry I know this is an old post, just interested as to what people actually think of Petroc, Barnstaple. I really want to do a foundation degree in Law there next year :smile: Just wandered if the HE courses there are good or whether it would be worth waiting and doing all 3 years somewhere else....

Cheers :smile:

My advice? Avoid it like the plague.

As an FE student at Petroc I can tell you the college is very badly run with limited resources. Whether this is different for HE courses I don't know, however based on my own experiences (and those of many others) at the college I honestly I think you're better off elsewhere.
Reply 5
Original post by AmberTheApple
My advice? Avoid it like the plague.

As an FE student at Petroc I can tell you the college is very badly run with limited resources. Whether this is different for HE courses I don't know, however based on my own experiences (and those of many others) at the college I honestly I think you're better off elsewhere.

Hey, thanks for reply! :biggrin:

Is it that bad, haha

I guessed it probably wouldn't be as well run as a proper university, Can I ask what you studied and when, I'm looking at next year/year after, apparently the Law foundation degree is a new course, so improvements are still being made?!

But I did think about looking at Exeter or Plymouth instead.

Cheers xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending