The Student Room Group

STEPHEN A SMITH SUSPENDED FROM ESPN by feminazis

NFL players hit with after being hit

Stephen an tv anchorman responds on the issues on espn:

Stephen said I go by the rule of not hitting women, I was raised by women. I would deal with man who hits women.

But he said women should not provoke men by hitting men.

-- Pow pow Feminizais attack

-- Stephen A Smith is suspended

Whoopi goldberg defends Stephen A. Smith, whilst some delusional women fail to catch stephen message.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
His apology, which was most likely forced

So peeps your thoughts on the issue?
(edited 9 years ago)
Watched the first vid and this guy no doubt respects women, he keeps repeating how men shouldn't be hitting women. These 'feminists' are too quick to become outraged. But i didn't catch him say in the vid that women shouldn't hit men? All i heard was him saying women should do their best not to provoke a man to hit her which is what these feminists have grasped onto and perhaps misinterpreted it to mean verbally provoking or something.

EDIT: I watched the second vid and i understand now sorry :colondollar: goddamn whoopi's a beast, she made her points very well. Those other women though are annoying af, what's so hard to understand about keeping your hands to yourself?
(edited 9 years ago)
Guys that feel alienated by women become bitter misogynists.

Women that feel alienated by men become bitter feminazis.

These people need counselling.
Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD

So peeps your thoughts on the issue?

I think context is a factor here.
Ray Rice is a domestic abuser, yet he has received a disappointing amount of support from sports fans and has only been given a slap on the wrists by the NFL.
Stephen A Smith should have been far more careful in his choice of words when discussing such an emotionally charged topic.
Original post by just a dad
I think context is a factor here.
Ray Rice is a domestic abuser, yet he has received a disappointing amount of support from sports fans and has only been given a slap on the wrists by the NFL.
Stephen A Smith should have been far more careful in his choice of words when discussing such an emotionally charged topic.

He received support, really? :frown: Yeah, i agree with your point about context.
The massive sense of entitlement and ego on that panel was something to behold.
Whoopl Goldberg summed it up perfectly.
If you use violence on another person, dont come crying if they give you some back.
I nearly lost a very good friend to a female thug in a taxi queue whose only weapon was a high heeled shoe. His first mistake was believing that under no circumstances should you hit a woman, even when she is repeatedly hitting you, splitting your lip and drawing blood, his second was to turn away from her when he thought she had calmed down.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Whatever Smith said, the fact that the entire panel disagreed with Whoopi was disturbing.
Of course women shouldn't be hitting men.

The only reason Stephen A Smith should be suspended is for being a ****ing terrible pundit :tongue:
Reply 9
That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. She is insulted to hear she can provoke her own violence by using violence? ****ing hell.
Reply 10
Ugh that Whoopi Goldberg thing was painful to watch, the fact that they are so angry that she is saying that women should be taught not to hit men. And lol at the lady saying that it isn't the same because of the strength difference: if I hit Terry Crews, people would say I deserved the resulting beating, they would not say he shouldn't have hit me because he is massively stronger than me.
**** like this pisses me off so much. Stephen had used the perfect choice of words, its taking precautions to reduce risk - WHY ARE WE NOT ENCOURAGING THIS?

I'll just leave this here
[video="youtube;AlvvCYUDHrQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlvvCYUDHrQ[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)
The word 'provoke' does have connotations with domestic violence because that is often the excuse abusers use. "She made me do it", "If you didn't behave that way I wouldn't have to do it£ etc. However, there are some occasions where violence is deliberately provoked so that someone loses it and then suffers because they've hit someone. That is obviously wrong and people shouldn't do it (as is hitting someone even if they have been provoked most of the time). Sound isn't working on YouTube for me so I can't tell whether how he used it is offensive.
Original post by ArtGoblin
The word 'provoke' does have connotations with domestic violence because that is often the excuse abusers use. "She made me do it", "If you didn't behave that way I wouldn't have to do it£ etc. However, there are some occasions where violence is deliberately provoked so that someone loses it and then suffers because they've hit someone. That is obviously wrong and people shouldn't do it (as is hitting someone even if they have been provoked most of the time). Sound isn't working on YouTube for me so I can't tell whether how he used it is offensive.

In the video he basically said ''Nobody should ever put their hands on a woman or anybody, but women can take precautions to try to prevent it from happening'' It's like safety procedure, everybody does safety checks at work etc to reduce risk so I don't see why this should be any different just because of the fact women have different genitals, varying strength etc
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Valiantknight
In the video he basically said ''Nobody should ever put their hands on a woman or anybody, but women can take precautions to try to prevent it from happening'' It's like safety procedure, everybody does safety checks at work etc to reduce risk so I don't see why this should be any different just because of the fact women have different genitals, varying strength etc

Is he talking about a domestic violence situation here? If so that does sound very dodgy. The point is that it is treating women differently because they are women; he's not saying people shouldn't provoke violence; he's saying women should watch their behaviour because men might hurt them. Men provoke other men (and women) into hitting them as well. It is quite common for high profile men to tell women what they should do and this is why women get so annoyed about it every time it happens.
Is he talking about a domestic violence situation here? If so that does sound very dodgy. The point is that it is treating women differently because they are women; he's not saying people shouldn't provoke violence; he's saying women should watch their behaviour because men might hurt them. Men provoke other men (and women) into hitting them as well. It is quite common for high profile men to tell women what they should do and this is why women get so annoyed about it every time it happens.

He is talking about domestic violence in general (but more specifically directed at women), and yes he is, stop twisting his words... Its got nothing to do with behaviour, its taking the necessary precautions to minimise risk (both applicable to men and women in domestic violence situations). Well maybe this double standard wouldn't exist if so many other double standards related to domestic violence didn't exist

re: solange hits jay-z nobody bats an eyelid, re: this guy hits his fiance, everyone goes bat **** crazy... that's not ****ing equality
He is talking about domestic violence in general (but more specifically directed at women), and yes he is, stop twisting his words... Its got nothing to do with behaviour, its taking the necessary precautions to minimise risk (both applicable to men and women in domestic violence situations). Well maybe this double standard wouldn't exist if so many other double standards related to domestic violence didn't exist

re: solange hits jay-z nobody bats an eyelid, re: this guy hits his fiance, everyone goes bat **** crazy... that's not ****ing equality

No-one bats an eyelid? Are you serious? It was a huge news story!
No-one bats an eyelid? Are you serious? It was a huge news story!

It was a huge story focused heavily on Jay Z rather than Solange, where the majority of the comments seemed to try to justify it
It was a huge story focused heavily on Jay Z rather than Solange, where the majority of the comments seemed to try to justify it

No, the majority of comments were "Imagine if it was the other way round!" ignoring that when a woman does hit a man there is a huge backlash against her because it is assumed that she will get away with it because she is a woman. There was a lot of people saying "I wonder what he did to make her do that" but there was also a lot of people saying "It's not OK to say that, imagine if you said that about a woman who had been hit." Well guess what, someone has said that about a woman who has been hit and you're all rushing to defend him!
No, the majority of comments were "Imagine if it was the other way round!" ignoring that when a woman does hit a man there is a huge backlash against her because it is assumed that she will get away with it because she is a woman. There was a lot of people saying "I wonder what he did to make her do that" but there was also a lot of people saying "It's not OK to say that, imagine if you said that about a woman who had been hit." Well guess what, someone has said that about a woman who has been hit and you're all rushing to defend him!

I do admit that on certain sources that there was more sympathy for Jay Z but mainstream media tried to tear him to shreds. I'm not sure if you're referring to the posters on this thread, but domestic violence under any circumstance is unacceptable, so I'm not defending him on any level

Quick Reply

Latest