The Student Room Group

I've had plastic surgery. Ask me anything.

Its something I sometimes wish I could talk about so fire away...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

Its something I sometimes wish I could talk about so fire away...

ooo what did you have?
considering it myself.
Reply 2
Original post by ldsbabe
ooo what did you have?
considering it myself.

I had rhinoplasty
Reply 3
I had rhinoplasty

I hope I can help you with your decision...
Original post by ldsbabe
ooo what did you have?
considering it myself.

what are you wanting done? you're gorgeous!
I had rhinoplasty

what were your issues with your nose?

Any chance of before and after pics?
Reply 6
I hope I can help you with your decision...

I thought about getting my nose done too, but I've kind of made peace with it now.
Now I want my boobs done, I want a fat transfer and I want lip fillers.

How painful was recovery?
Reply 7
Original post by brownsugar-xx
what were your issues with your nose?

Any chance of before and after pics?

Unfortunately one thing I dont want to do is post pictures up. I might PM one or two people if necessary but I dont really want this thread to be about what my nose looks like now and what it looked like before. I know it seems like thats the most obvious thing to do but I honestly feel like that is such a small part of this whole thing - which is funny because before I had it, I thought that that was all that mattered.

I broke it so it was slightly crooked (more noticeable in some lighting than others), and I had a bump.
Unfortunately one thing I dont want to do is post pictures up. I might PM one or two people if necessary but I dont really want this thread to be about what my nose looks like now and what it looked like before. I know it seems like thats the most obvious thing to do but I honestly feel like that is such a small part of this whole thing - which is funny because before I had it, I thought that that was all that mattered.

I broke it so it was slightly crooked (more noticeable in some lighting than others), and I had a bump.

That's totally cool, was it insecurity that lead you to it and do you feel happier you got it done?

Are you a girl or boy?
Reply 9
Original post by ldsbabe
I thought about getting my nose done too, but I've kind of made peace with it now.
Now I want my boobs done, I want a fat transfer and I want lip fillers.

How painful was recovery?

If you made peace with your nose, don't you think it is possible to do the same with these other physical aspects you are insecure about?

Recovery was not painful at all. It looked VERY bad, as though I had been hit by a car but it was virtually painful. When I woke up hours after getting it done (I vaguely remember being taken from the operation room to my bed and then I knocked out straight away), my friend (who I had met there and was also getting it done), asked if it felt like I had been punched. That is exactly what it feels like on the first day. But you don't feel the 'blow' from the punch if that makes sense. Just the aftermath of it. After the first day espcially, I felt no pain. My face swelled up very badly and I was very bruised but there wasn't pain. I have quite a high pain threshold but my friend also didnt feel pain. I also did alot of research beforehand and the general consensus is that most people dont experience pain during rhinoplasty recovery.
Reply 10
How much did it cost?
If you made peace with your nose, don't you think it is possible to do the same with these other physical aspects you are insecure about?

Recovery was not painful at all. It looked VERY bad, as though I had been hit by a car but it was virtually painful. When I woke up hours after getting it done (I vaguely remember being taken from the operation room to my bed and then I knocked out straight away), my friend (who I had met there and was also getting it done), asked if it felt like I had been punched. That is exactly what it feels like on the first day. But you don't feel the 'blow' from the punch if that makes sense. Just the aftermath of it. After the first day espcially, I felt no pain. My face swelled up very badly and I was very bruised but there wasn't pain. I have quite a high pain threshold but my friend also didnt feel pain. I also did alot of research beforehand and the general consensus is that most people dont experience pain during rhinoplasty recovery.

Good question! Probably not…my boobs are big E/F and they're only going to look worse as time goes on, so I might as well get implants now to keep them nice and perky.
Did you pay for it yourself?
One thing that scares me is if I don't like the result. Do you like your new nose?
Original post by brownsugar-xx
That's totally cool, was it insecurity that lead you to it and do you feel happier you got it done?

Are you a girl or boy?

Yeah it was insecurity. I am a girl.

Its quite hard to answer whether I am happier. I am not self conscious of my nose anymore. Before I spent alot of time worrying over people looking and focusing on my nose but I now realise that it was me focusing on it. I justified the plastic surgery to my family by saying that its everyone else who focuses so much on physical beauty and that I just wanted to be normal. I didnt want to stand out. I didnt want to be such an obvious target. I didn't notice how much less worrying I do at first but when I do give it some thought, I realise that I dont feel self conscious in many situations where I would have before (e.g sitting on the tube or someone talking at my profile. I remember a specific occasion where I felt so ugly when washing dishes and having a guy talking to me whilst I did it. Obviously it wasnt the worst experience I've ever had but just one insignificant example off the top of my head).

In general, I am definitely not happier. I am in conflict with myself and I dont always think about it but I think thats because I can upset myself when I do.

My life hasnt changed drastically since getting it done. I have noticed that I do get told I am prettier more often now than before. However, that doesn't make me happier. I feel like I am a fake sometimes and that if people knew who I really was then they would be disgusted. I also have realised that your physical body really is such a small part of your life. Yes, most people think appearance matters more than anything especially for girls. I used to think this too but I now realise that although society and the media etc make us feel this way, it mostly comes down to your individual self. If you make that the most important thing then it will be.
But life goes on and I still have university, problems with relationships, disappointments and other things to deal with and its only after I had the surgery that I have realised how insignificant my nose is in life.
In other words, when I am faced with difficulty or an unfortunate event, my nose is irrelevant. I don't think "oh well, at least my nose is pretty". If someone said all this to me when I considered the surgery, I would ignore it all. I thought "well, duh. Of course, I know all this. I know what I'm doing. etc" but I feel like I really didn't realise it.
Original post by lubsjk
How much did it cost?

£3000 but I did it in belgium so had to pay another few hundred for tickets and hotel etc
Reply 14
£3000 but I did it in belgium so had to pay another few hundred for tickets and hotel etc

:ahee: was all that worth a little nose? And by little I don't mean size, I'm just trivializing the importance of a nose :closedeyes:
Original post by ldsbabe
Good question! Probably not…my boobs are big E/F and they're only going to look worse as time goes on, so I might as well get implants now to keep them nice and perky.
Did you pay for it yourself?
One thing that scares me is if I don't like the result. Do you like your new nose?

But if they dont stay nice and perky, is that really that bad? I am not trying to stop you from doing it as I know everyone is different. I obviously want to share my own experience but I am aware that not everyone has the same experience.

I am just trying to make you think about things a bit differently. Its just hard for me to do as all the stuff I can say to you such as "looks fade" and "even if your boobs dont stay nice and perky, your face will age, as will the rest of your body" but these comments seem like the typical things people who consider plastic surgery are told. I was told "beauty fades" etc and read alot about people being opposed to it and promoting self acceptance but I guess that in my experience, it took having plastic surgery to realise and understand the truth in all this. When I would hear those statements, I would just think "well, thats easy for you to say" and "I'll accept myself once I have the new nose".

I paid for it myself after saving up and also used some of my student loan. My new nose is what I wanted but I dont really think about what it looks like and whether I like it or not. As I said to the other poster, what my nose looks like/would look like has somehow gone from the most important thing before the surgery, to one of the most insignificant things in this whole process/experience.
Yeah it was insecurity. I am a girl.

Its quite hard to answer whether I am happier. I am not self conscious of my nose anymore. Before I spent alot of time worrying over people looking and focusing on my nose but I now realise that it was me focusing on it. I justified the plastic surgery to my family by saying that its everyone else who focuses so much on physical beauty and that I just wanted to be normal. I didnt want to stand out. I didnt want to be such an obvious target. I didn't notice how much less worrying I do at first but when I do give it some thought, I realise that I dont feel self conscious in many situations where I would have before (e.g sitting on the tube or someone talking at my profile. I remember a specific occasion where I felt so ugly when washing dishes and having a guy talking to me whilst I did it. Obviously it wasnt the worst experience I've ever had but just one insignificant example off the top of my head).

In general, I am definitely not happier. I am in conflict with myself and I dont always think about it but I think thats because I can upset myself when I do.

My life hasnt changed drastically since getting it done. I have noticed that I do get told I am prettier more often now than before. However, that doesn't make me happier. I feel like I am a fake sometimes and that if people knew who I really was then they would be disgusted. I also have realised that your physical body really is such a small part of your life. Yes, most people think appearance matters more than anything especially for girls. I used to think this too but I now realise that although society and the media etc make us feel this way, it mostly comes down to your individual self. If you make that the most important thing then it will be.
But life goes on and I still have university, problems with relationships, disappointments and other things to deal with and its only after I had the surgery that I have realised how insignificant my nose is in life.
In other words, when I am faced with difficulty or an unfortunate event, my nose is irrelevant. I don't think "oh well, at least my nose is pretty". If someone said all this to me when I considered the surgery, I would ignore it all. I thought "well, duh. Of course, I know all this. I know what I'm doing. etc" but I feel like I really didn't realise it.

I completely agree and sympathise with all of this, seriously :laugh: Especially about the feeling fake part, that's why i'd never have plastic surgery on my face at least.

There's nothing you can do now but own it, no use regretting it :smile:
Original post by ApeMob
:ahee: was all that worth a little nose? And by little I don't mean size, I'm just trivializing the importance of a nose :closedeyes:

If you see one of my replies about (post 13), you will see that I agree that a nose is very trivial. Not due to the costs. The money doesn't bother me. My family would argue about the waste of money but I said that people spend that much on expensive furniture, cigarrettes, designer clothes, and a bunch of stuff that can be deemed unnecessary by many...Why should I be judged so harshly for the 'waste of money' when most people waste a good portion of their money on whatever it may be.

It was a waste of my energy and life in general. I wish I spent more time trying to better myself in other ways and become a better person, than to make a big deal out of my nose.
Reply 18
If you see one of my replies about (post 13), you will see that I agree that a nose is very trivial. Not due to the costs. The money doesn't bother me. My family would argue about the waste of money but I said that people spend that much on expensive furniture, cigarrettes, designer clothes, and a bunch of stuff that can be deemed unnecessary by many...Why should I be judged so harshly for the 'waste of money' when most people waste a good portion of their money on whatever it may be.

It was a waste of my energy and life in general. I wish I spent more time trying to better myself in other ways and become a better person, than to make a big deal out of my nose.

That last part you wrote is why I asked about the money. :closedeyes:
Original post by ApeMob
That last part you wrote is why I asked about the money. :closedeyes:

Oh, sorry didnt realise. No, the money doesn't bother me. Don't even think about the money. Yes, it is a alot of money but honestly, any regret or conclusion I have come to after this experience has not been impacted by the money at all. (Even though it took so much effort and hard work to save that much).

Quick Reply

Latest