The Student Room Group

Choosing a university to study Biology

I applied to York, Manchester, Sheffield, Surrey and Cardiff for Biology last year and got offers for all but withdrew my application to have a year off. I am reapplying this year and was wondering the difference between the universities in the course and which one is best. Anyone have any opinions?
I am particularly interested in Genetics, evolution and neuroscience.
Thanks
Reply 1
HEY!

Have a look at Roehampton University's website, they are number 1 in the UK for Biological Anthropology.

Peace <3 x!
Original post by masteroogway
I applied to York, Manchester, Sheffield, Surrey and Cardiff for Biology last year and got offers for all but withdrew my application to have a year off. I am reapplying this year and was wondering the difference between the universities in the course and which one is best. Anyone have any opinions?
I am particularly interested in Genetics, evolution and neuroscience.
Thanks

I have personally firmed York and have Sheffield as my insurance. I think York is great- the Biology department has a strong reputation and the optional year in industry seems well organised. They also teach a range of modules so you should be able to do genetics, evolution and neuroscience. Sheffield is more into animals/ecology etc so would probably be good for evolution but perhaps not so much for genetics and neuroscience. Don't know much about the other unis except that I didn't like Cardiff at the open day.
I've just finished my first year doing Biology at Sheffield, Its a very good uni and the city is amazing, as much as i've enjoyed my time i'm leaving to do Biology at York. The course as Sheffield is very environment/ecology/zoology based and in second year offer little for microbiology ect which is what I am interested in. I think for what you want York may be better as they do offer lots of module choice. I hope thats helped :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks guys this was a great help. Do you know anything about Bio at Manchester?
Original post by masteroogway
Thanks guys this was a great help. Do you know anything about Bio at Manchester?

My brothers just finished doing biology at Manchester. The Life sciences department is massive and the module choice is ridiculous, so if you want a lot more choice it is a good one, I come from Manchester so as a city you either love it or hate it. Hes had a few problems with the course being so big as hes had little help from lecturers and tutors but that just may be his personal experience. :smile:
Reply 6
I was made an offer for York last year, but decided to stay in my home city of Hull and attend the uni here (financial reasons). Wish I had gone to York! It has an excellent reputation and is fab for biosciences ( have a look in the league tables).

Quick Reply

Latest