The Student Room Group

Is racism in society worse than it has ever been?

It is often portrayed that racism is a thing of the past with periods being particularly bad, slavery, pre 70's America etc.

I personally think that racism in all its forms is worse now than it ever has been, do you agree or disagree?

Scroll to see replies

I disagree, but what makes you hold this view?
How is it worse now than the pre 70s in the USA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What a stupid thread. What is worse now than Jim Crow USA?
Absolutely. I think I speak for every black person when I say I'd much rather have chains on my wrists and ankles than to have to deal with the chavs and their naughty words today.
Reply 5
I don't think it's worse. A black American does not suffer the racial segregation they once did before the Martin Luther reformation.

If you're referring to the bigoted views held by ignorant British people, these will always remain and shouldn't be considered as 'real racism' that was once rife in America.
Ridiculous judgement honestly, I'm pretty sure that racism for every single race has decreased in the past 70 odd years
Well, this easily the stupidest idea of the day, and it's only 10am.
Racism still exists, but I would say it's probably the best it ever has been, not worse. Genuine racism isn't very common today and is near universally condemned here in Britain.
Original post by LickingCarpet
It is often portrayed that racism is a thing of the past with periods being particularly bad, slavery, pre 70's America etc.

I personally think that racism in all its forms is worse now than it ever has been, do you agree or disagree?

Hahahaha. Obsolutely not. Just look at photos of life back in the 50s/60s and you'll see signs up in shop keepers windows and pubs saying "No Blacks, No Irish, No dogs". You're just wanting to stir some crap racial debate.

You kids need to pick up and read some history books.
Yes much worse because:

1) enforced segregation
2) lynching
3) the KKK

all still exist in modern Britain. So much worse. If only Rosa Parks knew how lucky she was to only have segregated buses.

:rolleyes:
How can you possibly be this bored at 10am, to post such a stupid thread.
Why is this in Chat? It should be in Society.
As for legal equality, I guess that's been fixed. But I still suspect that most people are racist, and they don't need to be wearing KKK outfits before they qualify as so. I'd say at least 70 - 80% of Whites consider themselves above Blacks and Asians, which they consider as the 'Others'. Dig enough, and you'll find the superiority complex there. If you don't believe me, question the average White person about what they think of the fact they've benefited so much from the genocide, war, slavery and colonialism of the past - and indeed present. They'll probably try to justify or trivialise it by saying "blacks did this too!" or "well we were the most powerful and civilised". These are examples of the projection and 'might is right' philosophy that they believe eliminates all wrong from the wicked actions that have been committed in their name . A common thing some of them also do nowadays is to rank races by 'No. of inventions', or whip out crime and IQ statistics 'proving' blacks are inferior. Asians do that first one too, and of course TSR has revealed the true nature of their 'culture'.

The Atlantic slave trade took place for 300 years, and the West's unmatched economic and military power has allowed them to propagate the image of godliness and omnipotence at home and abroad. One would have to be very naive to think most white people, having grown up in a world where 'they've won', have dropped their particular psychology towards 'people of colour'. Oh, and white is a colour too by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
No, historically it has been a lot worse

But people should realise their anti immigrant sentiments are coming across as racist

How? It's all so PC these days, we have lawas to protect and so on. Only Racism I've seen is UKIP and the Immigrant issues, but then again having concerns about it does not equate to it being racist.

France with National Front is scary, and the recent attacks on Jews because of the conflict in Israel and Gaza. Otherwise I don't see it.

If you mean white/black relations...

In the 1970's black people complained that they were targeted by organisations like the National Front.

Nowadays the complaints seem to be such petty whining (the eager to make friends guy at work asked me about my culture wah wah) that it is certainly much better.
Original post by Ripper-Roo
No, historically it has been a lot worse

But people should realise their anti immigrant sentiments are coming across as racist

Only to people wanting to frame it that way.

If there aren't enough jobs, it doesn't matter what colour they are.
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
Hahahaha. Obsolutely not. Just look at photos of life back in the 50s/60s and you'll see signs up in shop keepers windows and pubs saying "No Blacks, No Irish, No dogs". You're just wanting to stir some crap racial debate.

You kids need to pick up and read some history books.

"But as private business owners it is their right to choose who they serve."

- every stupid right libertarian on this site.

Interesting how it is still debatable whether bead and breakfast owners can turn down a gay couple. There is no where near the same level of clarity on that issue compared to whether the same bead and breakfast should be able to turn down a black couple. :holmes:

Racism still exists, but it isn't institutionalized like it once was. That and it isn't acceptbale to admit you are racist around most people. If you hold racist views you have to pretend you aren't actually racist. If that makes sense.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Autistic Merit
Why is this in Chat? It should be in Society.

Really shouldn't. That gives this idiotic supposition far more credibility than it could ever deserve.

Quick Reply

Latest