The Student Room Group

What will university life be like in 10 years time?

Things are changing rapidly at universities... from electronic hand-ins to online lectures.

Being a Sussex student, so resistant to change, we've always been quite behind the times in certain areas. We still don't have electronic hand-ins, and not all our lectures are online.

But others are different. How do you see your university changing in 10 years time? What will your university be offering? Do you think students will enjoy uni more or less than you do?

Scroll to see replies

City University. And I believe it will be a mosque.
Original post by Huskaris

Rofl

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Numberwang
Things are changing rapidly at universities... from electronic hand-ins to online lectures.

Being a Sussex student, so resistant to change, we've always been quite behind the times in certain areas. We still don't have electronic hand-ins, and not all our lectures are online.

But others are different. How do you see your university changing in 10 years time? What will your university be offering? Do you think students will enjoy uni more or less than you do?

We have some electronic hand ins and our attendance is taken by passing around a box we put our individual electronic key into.
Reply 4
Probably, it will become so quiet. All students keep on pressing keys, here and there. Uni life will be in mute mode after 10 years
Original post by huskaris
city university. And i believe it will be a mosque.

loooooooooooooool
If the conservatives have their way, full of Phillipas or Tarquins
Well my university does most things digitally such as: scanning I.D. cards for attendance, using TurnItIn for assignments, virtual online area for handouts, announcements and module infomration, e-resources (journals, newspapers, books, study skills - lecturers insist on using them), renewing library books online and using the library catalogue digitally. If you are at uni, you should have the knowledge to use IT but there are staff to help you if need be.

In terms of the buildings changing; it is currently being renovated to look modern so the exterior, interior and outside are being done up ready for the new academic year!
Your universities really take attendance? :lolwut:

If councils continue cracking down on HMOs and caps continue being taken off we will see the end of the student house. There will be massive pressure for this from the universities who have invested a lot of money in throwing up new student accommodation.

Also we will start getting kids in very soon who have never known life without broadband and mobile phones and who don't know how to interact with people.

People will become ever more straight-laced as it gets harder and harder to find a career. If there is another recession in about 2018 as many people expect it really will be like this.

All in all it's not looking good for the party atmosphere.
Original post by scrotgrot
Your universities really take attendance? :lolwut:

If councils continue cracking down on HMOs and caps continue being taken off we will see the end of the student house. There will be massive pressure for this from the universities who have invested a lot of money in throwing up new student accommodation.

Also we will start getting kids in very soon who have never known life without broadband and mobile phones and who don't know how to interact with people.

People will become ever more straight-laced as it gets harder and harder to find a career. If there is another recession in about 2018 as many people expect it really will be like this.

Yeah my uni uses scanners which are linked up to the online register and it flags up if a student has missed 5 consecutive sessions so you get called in.
Original post by Huskaris

Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Zombie apocalypse will come soon. :wink:
Futuristic, like x-men. Maybe the Hunger Games if we're unlucky. Who knows?
Reply 13
Original post by Ripper-Roo
If the conservatives have their way, full of Phillipas or Tarquins

Hopefully in 10 years time, there will be fewer people who put class war at the centre of the human condition.
Original post by scrotgrot

I think this is true, I think despite the fact that older generations like to lecture students that "all they do is spend their time at the student bar", it was more the older generations who were like this. Not that many graduates so good job prospects, free money in the form of grants, get on the lash!

Nowadays each generation of new intake of students seems more focused on their careers and therefore their studies, as they are more concerned about getting a job and also what it is costing them.

I think in the future students will make the most of their education and opportunities which is not a bad thing. I think university will be less and less an option for the slightly unfocused teen that just wants to go to uni to meet people and party and see where the ride takes them.
Newcastle University. A story about a cow recently getting stuck in a lift will be doing the rounds. As it was in 2014 and in 2006.
Original post by Quantex
Newcastle University. A story about a cow recently getting stuck in a lift will be doing the rounds. As it was in 2014 and in 2006.

and 1986... seriously.
Reply 17
Original post by Numberwang

How do the lecturers know if you've plagiarised any of your work? :colone:

If you went to city, you'd understand.
Original post by Quantex

I heard someone took it into their room in Leazes.

Is this just a rumour??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending