The Student Room Group

UK to allow driverless cars

The British government has announced that from January 2015 driverless cars will be allowed on public roads.

Cities will compete to host one of three trials of the tech, which would start at the same time. Ministers ordered a review of the UK's road regulations to provide appropriate guidelines.

The US States of California, Nevada and Florida have all approved tests of the vehicles. In California alone, Google's driverless car has done more than 300,000 miles on the open road. And in 2013, Nissan carried out Japan's first public road test of an autonomous vehicle on a highway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28551069

Scroll to see replies

I'm really excited for this.
so stupid

soon there will be nothing a person can do a machine cant
Does this mean that there will be fewer accidents on the road..?
Original post by Ripper-Roo
so stupid

Funny you said that. One of the Black Mirrors reminded me of this. Everyone was just sat at a treadmill all day cycling (presumably because that's all they were good for!).

Having said that; I don't think there will ever be a time where you can replace everything a human does for another human (wait, that sounds dodgy!)... Lots of things which robots are very bad at too or miss entirely.
Reply 5
so stupid clever

Corrected
Reply 6
Original post by Kåte
Oh, so we don't have them already? These cars that cut me up and don't signal properly are actually being driven by somebody?

Lol that's not relevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Really incredible story, though. Whether you see it as a futile exercise or not, it's really progressive.
Reply 8
so stupid

I think that is for the best. Robots performing some of these functions will mean that roads will be safer, there will not be a need for costly driving lessons, licenses or insurance and possibly fewer accidents.
so stupid

No there won't. Regardless of what you been told, AI is nowhere near such capabilities. Humans will offer loads over machines for centuries. The technology and theory behind these autonomous cars is nothing new but the problems are political - health and safety etc. - they need to be up to a certain standard to enter the market which is right as I don't want a car with faulty code malfunctioning and people to get hurt.

What I'm more surprised by really is that in times when people are continuously banging on about the environment they're considering autonomous cars as opposed to autonomous shuttle buses or trams with inter city links. They could cut public expenses tenfold with investment and all you'd then need is a ticket attendant on them to take your money in a similar way train ticket inspectors do.

I think the autonomous car market for the average person will be a lot like the 3D TV one - the novelty will wear off for many and they will struggle to sell - what about all the tech nervous people who would be freaked out trusting such a thing? A lot of people would rather be in control and actually drive. Then you have many men who love cars and its all about driving to them. They buy a fast car because they want a fast car to drive, not sit in and let the car do the work.

I think autonomous vehicles will be predominantly of major use for the military as is already the case in some parts of the world and public transport systems or even small scale transport around private industrial estates/business parks where going from one area to another is some distance to walk. These will revolutionise transport but not in the ways many think.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/Industry-News/British-drivers-shun-autonomous-cars-in-new-survey/

These will be great going around Silicon Valley from point A to B or from part of London to another to cut emissions but most people won't buy into it at all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Should be awesome :cool:
Reply 11
Original post by Sanctimonious
No there won't. Regardless of what you been told, AI is nowhere near such capabilities. Humans will offer loads over machines for centuries. The technology and theory behind these autonomous cars is nothing new but the problems are political - health and safety etc. - they need to be up to a certain standard to enter the market which is right as I don't want a car with faulty code malfunctioning and people to get hurt.

What I'm more surprised by really is that in times when people are continuously banging on about the environment they're considering autonomous cars as opposed to autonomous shuttle buses or trams with inter city links. They could cut public expenses tenfold with investment and all you'd then need is a ticket attendant on them to take your money in a similar way train ticket inspectors do.

I think the autonomous car market for the average person will be a lot like the 3D TV one - the novelty will wear off for many and they will struggle to sell - what about all the tech nervous people who would be freaked out trusting such a thing? A lot of people would rather be in control and actually drive. Then you have many men who love cars and its all about driving to them. They buy a fast car because they want a fast car to drive, not sit in and let the car do the work.

I think autonomous vehicles will be predominantly of major use for the military as is already the case in some parts of the world and public transport systems or even small scale transport around private industrial estates/business parks where going from one area to another is some distance to walk. These will revolutionise transport but not in the ways many think.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/Industry-News/British-drivers-shun-autonomous-cars-in-new-survey/

These will be great going around Silicon Valley from point A to B or from part of London to another to cut emissions but most people won't buy into it at all.

You are forgetting driving for most people most of the time is a chore. People commuting could be working, disabled people can use them, young car users could lower their insurance costs, people could drink without putting others in danger. The main thrust would be from large fleet users like Royal Mail who can save millions by replacing human drivers with vans and lorries that can work 24hours a day.
Sounds terrifying.:frown:
Please no! :0

Think about possible accidents. Cars are inanimate already, if you aren't controlling it... what happens if it doesn't stop when you need it etc.?

Accidents happen still :no:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No!

I'm only just learning to drive!
Original post by Maker
You are forgetting driving for most people most of the time is a chore. People commuting could be working, disabled people can use them, young car users could lower their insurance costs, people could drink without putting others in danger.

1. So is wasting time - an autonomous car would adhere to preprogrammed speed limits - some people are happy to speed to save time. When an autonomous car tops out at 70mph and you can do 100mph yourself for some that's a problem. A lot of people still speed and like to be in control.

2. People commuting could be working as the car goes true but then how many work whilst commuting who already don't use something like the tube in inner London? Would these cars be exempt from emissions charges?

3. There's no guarantee insurance premiums will be lower due to them. Premiums will most likely be decided on expected mileage, location, problems with that particular autonomous car model in the past and so on. Also the risk of malfunction, whilst minimal according to tests, is very real. Only after long term testing can you fully test.

4. People could drink without putting others in danger of course but is this worthwhile for everyone? You can do that already with a bit of planning. Don't forget these cars will cost a considerable amount more than your entry level city cars and small hatchbacks.

Quite frankly, as someone with a background in AI and CS, I wouldn't buy one.

The main thrust would be from large fleet users like Royal Mail who can save millions by replacing human drivers with vans and lorries that can work 24hours a day.

That's more business as opposed to the standard customer or user.
Reply 16
Original post by Maid Marian
Sounds terrifying.:frown:

Why? Finally there won't be a risk of being mowed down while crossing the road because of some drunk pillock going 90mph.
My Google Chrome browser seems to malfunction with depressing regularity.

What makes people think that the Google Car software will be any more reliable?
It's very stupid. I don't understand the benefits/uses
Original post by Sanctimonious
1. So is wasting time - an autonomous car would adhere to preprogrammed speed limits - some people are happy to speed to save time. When an autonomous car tops out at 70mph and you can do 100mph yourself for some that's a problem. A lot of people still speed and like to be in control.

2. People commuting could be working as the car goes true but then how many work whilst commuting who already don't use something like the tube in inner London? Would these cars be exempt from emissions charges?

3. There's no guarantee insurance premiums will be lower due to them. Premiums will most likely be decided on expected mileage, location, problems with that particular autonomous car model in the past and so on. Also the risk of malfunction, whilst minimal according to tests, is very real. Only after long term testing can you fully test.

4. People could drink without putting others in danger of course but is this worthwhile for everyone? You can do that already with a bit of planning. Don't forget these cars will cost a considerable amount more than your entry level city cars and small hatchbacks.

Quite frankly, as someone with a background in AI and CS, I wouldn't buy one.

That's more business as opposed to the standard customer or user.

I think these vehicles, to be 'accredited as safe' will stick to speeds below the speed limit, will avoid all risks at junctions, will leave long gaps before pulling out in roundabouts, will tend to convoy at slow speeds, etc.

The absolutely inevitable result will be total gridlock in all major urban areas. Even the existence of a handful of the robot cars will be likely to cause utter chaos and make the roads effectively unusable.

I wonder what pressures are being brought to bear on politicians. Google are a very rich and powerful corporation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending