The Student Room Group

I am an intern working for The Student Room - Ask me Anything!

The AMA threads have been really popular in the last few days. In honour of the new IAMA forum section I'll be fielding questions :smile:

I work in the community team with Shooks, She-Ra, Captain Jack, Puddles, Numberwang and Motorbiker. I should be good answering questions til around 2pm or so, then I'll take a break and answer some more tonight :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As an intern, do you get paid?

If you don't get paid, do you think you should?
Reply 2
Original post by pacni
As an intern, do you get paid?

If you don't get paid, do you think you should?

Yes, it's a paid internship :smile:
What does your role entail?
Why TSR? :holmes:
What was the application process like? :smile:
How much do lift? :teehee:

I hear rumours you got up to the bar on squats...

What's your favourite thing about working for TSR?

Who is the most interesting office member(excluding me)?
Do you work at home or commute?
Where you based if commute?
Reply 8
I have finished the student finance form and got a decision back, however I just decided that I want to move out. What do I need to do in order to get the finances for it now?
Also if I find another placement through clearing would it be too late to apply for student accommodation?
Do you have any funny stories about the mods. If so, pleas​e share :colone:
Reply 10
Original post by cloningsheep
What does your role entail?

Much of the role is building content for users. I've written a few articles in my time here and have a few more on the go at the moment. As well as this we're all encouraged to communicate with the community - I like to create a few threads a day and have a chat with different members on the forum. Me and Numberwang do a lot of social media stuff - we keep the twitter account & facebook accounts ticking along nicely. I also design and send out the weekly newsletter here! The most fun I've had while I've been working here though has been taking pictures for the site. A lot of the photos you see dotted around in the pods at the top or in articles were taken by me, it's really rewarding to see them being placed around the site :smile:

Original post by Slowbro93
Why TSR? :holmes:

TSR stand for a lot of things I really believe in, helping students and giving them a voice & young energy. I wanted to work in a journalistic capacity and TSR had editorial internships going! I was very enthusiastic to get on board with that!

Original post by xmarilynx
What was the application process like? :smile:

It was very standard. CV & cover letter. Selected for interview with a writing task. The interview went really well, I was given a editorial task to do and absolutely stormed it. :deal:

Original post by Motorbiker
How much do lift? :teehee:

I hear rumours you got up to the bar on squats...

What's your favourite thing about working for TSR?

Who is the most interesting office member(excluding me)?

I'm making more progress than you could ever dream of :biggrin:. My favourite thing about working here is that everyone is very good in their own field! It's been great getting advice from so many talented people!

The most interesting office member hmmm... I'll have a think about this but probably Pete Langely who founded the getrevising website! He's a very cool & enthusiastic guy!

Original post by hellodave5
Do you work at home or commute?
Where you based if commute?

I work at the famous TSR Towers based in Brighton. I commute with my trusty cycle! :bike:
(edited 9 years ago)
TSR can't surely host its entire server and pay wages on just advertising, where else does it get funding from?

What are the working hours for your job?

No "funny/ weird " interview questions with tsr, how strange? :smile:
How did you get your internship?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I ask you a question which in anyway makes you look bad, how long will I be banned for?
Original post by Armadillo
The AMA threads have been really popular in the last few days. In honour of the new IAMA forum section I'll be fielding questions :smile:

I work in the community team with Shooks, She-Rah, Captain Jack, Puddles, Numberwang and Motorbiker. I should be good answering questions til around 2pm or so, then I'll take a break and answer some more tonight :smile:

Why have you linked to everyone's profile except mine? :mad:

Why if I click on She-Ra does it take me to Numberwang?
Reply 15
Original post by Arithmeticae
Do you have any funny stories about the mods. If so, pleas​e share :colone:

Well I've only met Motorbiker in person. I haven't personally met any other mods. I'm looking forward to meeting a few of them in person at the end of August for the Student Room's 10 year anniversary!

I have some funny stories about Motorbiker though. You can usually hear his voice above everyone else at the office. I like to think that he's called that because he's as loud as a motorbike! :wink:. The first time I met him he vetted me and numberwang quite intensely! He still moves my threads if I put them in the wrong sub-forum :P He's a great mod though and a generally funny guy!

Original post by Guren
TSR can't surely host its entire server and pay wages on just advertising, where else does it get funding from?

What are the working hours for your job?

No "funny/ weird " interview questions with tsr, how strange? :smile:

Yeah there were no curve balls I can remember from the interview. Writing up two articles in 40 minutes was a fun surprise though!
My hours are 9-5.30 every weekday.

Original post by donutaud15
How did you get your internship?

I talked about this above but I can go into more detail if you have a more specific question :smile:.

Original post by Huskaris
If I ask you a question which in anyway makes you look bad, how long will I be banned for?

Well I haven't banned anyone yet, puddles has already pointed out a few mistakes in my thread creation :P. You may well get away with it!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16

I work in the community team with Shooks, She-Rah, Captain Jack, Puddles, Numberwang and Motorbiker. I should be good answering questions til around 2pm or so, then I'll take a break and answer some more tonight :smile:

Hello,

Does anyone know the adress for the Admissions office, so I can send my grades there from collegte?
Well I've only met Motorbiker in person. I haven't personally met any other mods. I'm looking forward to meeting a few of them in person at the end of August for the Student Room's 10 year anniversary!

I have some funny stories about Motorbiker though. You can usually hear his voice above everyone else at the office. I like to think that he's called that because he's as loud as a motorbike! :wink:. The first time I met him he vetted me and numberwang quite intensely! He still moves my threads if I put them in the wrong sub-forum :P He's a great mod though and a generally funny guy!

Yeah there were no curve balls I can remember from the interview. Writing up two articles in 40 minutes was a fun surprise though!
My hours are 9-5.30 every weekday.

I talked about this above but I can go into more detail if you have a more specific question :smile:.

Well I haven't banned anyone yet, puddles has already pointed out a few mistakes in my thread creation :P. You may well get away with it!

Think you missed this question :wink:

I'm making more progress than you could ever dream of :biggrin:. My favourite thing about working here is that everyone is very good in their own field! It's been great getting advice from so many talented people!

The most interesting office member hmmm... I'll have a think about this but probably Pete Langely who founded the getrevising website! He's a very cool & enthusiastic guy!

Pete Langley is pretty cool. I think just putting names to faces for me was the most interesting part.

Which is your all-time favourite TSR thread and why?

And all-time favourite article and why?
Reply 19
do you even lift?

Quick Reply

Latest