The Student Room Group

Revision guide/Book Recommendations

Hello,
I am going to start my AS Subjects this september:
Biology (AQA)
Physics (AQA)
Chemistry (AQA)
Geography (Edexcel)

So, Can anyone suggest me some good revision guides? Also, Any good books for further reading regarding these subjects :smile:

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by FREYA2898
Hello,
I am going to start my AS Subjects this september:
Biology (AQA)
Physics (AQA)
Chemistry (AQA)
Geography (Edexcel)

So, Can anyone suggest me some good revision guides? Also, Any good books for further reading regarding these subjects :smile:

Thank you

For edexcel geography, this revision guide is pretty good for giving an overview of everything. For geography further reading there is probably less you can do for AS than A2 but just researching your topics online on news websites etc. will get you lots of extra case study detail :smile:

It obviously depends on whether you're more interested in the physical or human side of things, but since 'going global' is a topic, I'd recommend the book 'Globalisation and its discontents'- it's really good and offers an interesting perspective into the 'dark side' of globalisation :smile:
I did bio aqa and I think despite what some teachers may say you should use cpg but you should use cgp alongside the nelaon thornes bio textbook -- both of these will help you get all of the knowledge required and then just do a myriad of past papers on top!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Out of curiosity, why are you taking physics without maths?

Oh and for AQA, the Nelson Thornes books are thought to be really good. Or so I've been told.
Reply 4
Original post by smile:D
For edexcel geography, this revision guide is pretty good for giving an overview of everything. For geography further reading there is probably less you can do for AS than A2 but just researching your topics online on news websites etc. will get you lots of extra case study detail :smile:

It obviously depends on whether you're more interested in the physical or human side of things, but since 'going global' is a topic, I'd recommend the book 'Globalisation and its discontents'- it's really good and offers an interesting perspective into the 'dark side' of globalisation :smile:

Thank you, I will buy that book, did your school provide a textbook for you or did you have to purchase it yourself?
Reply 5
Original post by Teddysmith123
I did bio aqa and I think despite what some teachers may say you should use cpg but you should use cgp alongside the nelaon thornes bio textbook -- both of these will help you get all of the knowledge required and then just do a myriad of past papers on top!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I heard cgp books are not that detailed, I don't think I can afford to buy both books :frown: So which one would you recommend?
Reply 6
Original post by thechemistress

Out of curiosity, why are you taking physics without maths?

It is because I don't really like maths and I am only doing Physics to an AS level! Hopefully, it wont be an issue
I heard cgp books are not that detailed, I don't think I can afford to buy both books :frown: So which one would you recommend?

The CGP books provide a simple explanation of things - particularly useful for bio - where they explain the basic principals so that you understand it. If your concerned with money try buying books on ebay or amazon as they are relatively cheaper, but if you can only buy one that definitely go for the nelson thrones one
Reply 8
Thank you, I will buy that book, did your school provide a textbook for you or did you have to purchase it yourself?

They provided a textbook for us: I assume that they'll give it to you since it's really the only one for the syllabus and it covers everything in pretty good detail :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest