The Student Room Group

Extra curriculars for Harvard/Ivy League Univerisities?

Hi
I'm currently studying for my SATs and have just finished Y11. Just to see how realistic my chances are of getting into Harvard/Top Ivy League schools, could someone tell me what kind of extra curriculars these schools expect? I currently play the piano, Grade 5, and also the violin, although I haven't taken any gradings for this, and like to rock climb and surf in my spare time. I haven't taken either of these sports to a competitive capacity - will this be an issue? Next year in Sixth Form I'll probably end up doing some voluntary work at a local charity shop, my Duke of Edinburgh award, and will join various societies such as the Debating society and the Physics society, but I'm worried that all this won't be enough for a top American Uni?

Just in case you're wondering, the A levels I'm taking are Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and History, and I am yet to receive my GCSE results but am predicted top grades.

Cheers!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by quamquam
Hi
I'm currently studying for my SATs and have just finished Y11. Just to see how realistic my chances are of getting into Harvard/Top Ivy League schools, could someone tell me what kind of extra curriculars these schools expect? I currently play the piano, Grade 5, and also the violin, although I haven't taken any gradings for this, and like to rock climb and surf in my spare time. I haven't taken either of these sports to a competitive capacity - will this be an issue? Next year in Sixth Form I'll probably end up doing some voluntary work at a local charity shop, my Duke of Edinburgh award, and will join various societies such as the Debating society and the Physics society, but I'm worried that all this won't be enough for a top American Uni?

Just in case you're wondering, the A levels I'm taking are Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and History, and I am yet to receive my GCSE results but am predicted top grades.

Cheers!

I have the same aims as you, except I'm doing History, English Literature, Biology and Philosophy at AS Level.

For my extra curricular's, I've one a national competition for the East of England, been the Human Resources manager of my own company for two years, doing a skydive for charity next year, LAMDA distinctions in drama - I skipped 4 grades in my first grading and I'm going to take up an instrument at my new college along with other things I didn't have on offer to me at my old school. I'm also a keen rider and have rosettes for competitions.

I think that they just like to see you have taken advantage of what's on offer to you. You have done quite a lot, so just continue to do what you're doing and take up anything new if you can that is relevant to you.

Good luck!

(P.S. Where are you applying to and how comes you have chosen to sit the SAT's this year instead of next, which is what I assume you are doing?)
Oh also, College Confidential might be a better place for you to post queries like this.
Reply 3
Original post by JayJay-C19
I have the same aims as you, except I'm doing History, English Literature, Biology and Philosophy at AS Level.

For my extra curricular's, I've one a national competition for the East of England, been the Human Resources manager of my own company for two years, doing a skydive for charity next year, LAMDA distinctions in drama - I skipped 4 grades in my first grading and I'm going to take up an instrument at my new college along with other things I didn't have on offer to me at my old school. I'm also a keen rider and have rosettes for competitions.

I think that they just like to see you have taken advantage of what's on offer to you. You have done quite a lot, so just continue to do what you're doing and take up anything new if you can that is relevant to you.

Good luck!

(P.S. Where are you applying to and how comes you have chosen to sit the SAT's this year instead of next, which is what I assume you are doing?)

Hi

Thanks for the reply! Your extra curiculars seem to stand out a lot more than mine aha, I'm worried I won't stand a chance :frown: I'm taking the SAT this year because I'm assuming I'll be really busy with A-Level work next year and so might as well get it out the way. And thanks, I will def check out college confidential.

I'm worried that the fact that I haven't entered/won any competitions might hold me back - do you think this will be an issue for unis like Harvard/Yale, etc?

Also, what's this about your own company!?

Thanks! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi

Thanks for the reply! Your extra curiculars seem to stand out a lot more than mine aha, I'm worried I won't stand a chance :frown: I'm taking the SAT this year because I'm assuming I'll be really busy with A-Level work next year and so might as well get it out the way. And thanks, I will def check out college confidential.

I'm worried that the fact that I haven't entered/won any competitions might hold me back - do you think this will be an issue for unis like Harvard/Yale, etc?

Also, what's this about your own company!?

Thanks! :smile:

Co-founded a company that sold clothing aha but I've resigned now so I could focus on my academics.

I think that you should try to enter some competitions, that gives some light on how you are the best of the best at something, should you win. Cambridge or Oxford essay competitions are a good one!
Reply 5
Co-founded a company that sold clothing aha but I've resigned now so I could focus on my academics.

I think that you should try to enter some competitions, that gives some light on how you are the best of the best at something, should you win. Cambridge or Oxford essay competitions are a good one!

Thank you so much! Aha I didn't realize that there were competitions like these, they're definitely things I'll look into! Which American unis are you looking into?
Thank you so much! Aha I didn't realize that there were competitions like these, they're definitely things I'll look into! Which American unis are you looking into?

Talk on PM!
Reply 7
Btw if anyone else has any thoughts they would be much appreciated! :smile:
Reply 8
I'm looking at us unis (just finished year 12) and here are my ecs:
Co-founded a short film company that is now making its 4th film. We won 1 national girls school competition, and recently won a grant competition for 16-22 year old (of the 10 recipients I believe we're the only under 20?). Have worked as writer, director, camera operator, actress, and producer on these films
Member of the National Youth Theatre, made the set for a professional play with them, and I think I'm working on this season with them, but the dates haven't been confirmed yet lol
Grade 8 LAMDA (Gold) with distinction (like the acting equivalent of music grades)
Co-founded literary journal at my school
Sailing - some regattas, grade 4 + 2 advanced grades
Work experience with Fitzwilliam Museum (cambridge), and 3 week internship in La Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando in Madrid (just finished today -so so sad!!!)
In schools debate team, and have competed multiple times

In the internship I've been with 2 other girls from Yale and they had a lot of advice. They said most internationals they knew had Lower SAT scores than you would expect, and that sats weren't everything anyway - one girl had a roommate who got an sat score below 2000 for instance. For ecs they said what's important is to have something you honestly LOVE than try and do stuff you think will Im press.

I've already taken one sat (in june) as kind of a practice run - I got a 2080 so will probably retake to get my maths up, haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Oh and also like Dofe, volunteering, etc of course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi

Cheers!

Once you get past a certain benchmark, everyone has a chance, and there is an element of luck involved at the top American universities.

I would suggest doing all you can, to give yourself the best possible chance, but be aware that only a very small amount of people are lucky enough to get in.

I once read (this was from one of the MIT Admissions people) that a guy who made a working nuclear reactor was rejected from MIT. There are 2 possible things that you can conclude from this. The first is that no normal person has any chance of getting in and you should probably give up. The second is that you don't need to do something absolutely spectacular to get in - plenty of normal students do get in by being really passionate about something and being able to convey that to the universities.

Have you thought about what SATs you will take? I can definitely tell you that Math Level 2 involves basically all of A-Level core minus the calculus, plus a little statistics.
Reply 11
Original post by ThatPerson
Once you get past a certain benchmark, everyone has a chance, and there is an element of luck involved at the top American universities.

I would suggest doing all you can, to give yourself the best possible chance, but be aware that only a very small amount of people are lucky enough to get in.

I once read (this was from one of the MIT Admissions people) that a guy who made a working nuclear reactor was rejected from MIT. There are 2 possible things that you can conclude from this. The first is that no normal person has any chance of getting in and you should probably give up. The second is that you don't need to do something absolutely spectacular to get in - plenty of normal students do get in by being really passionate about something and being able to convey that to the universities.

Have you thought about what SATs you will take? I can definitely tell you that Math Level 2 involves basically all of A-Level core minus the calculus, plus a little statistics.

Thanks for the reply, have you yourself been through the American uni application process? :smile: Also, is getting into these top American universities a lot harder than getting into Oxbridge, which seems relatively straightforward?

I think I'll probably take Maths Level 2 and World History. :smile: It's slightly disheartening though, a lot of posts I'm seeing on the internet seem to be essentially saying that these top universities are so competitive that there's no real point applying unless you started preparing from like the age of 5 - would you agree? :/
Reply 12
Thanks for the reply, have you yourself been through the American uni application process? :smile: Also, is getting into these top American universities a lot harder than getting into Oxbridge, which seems relatively straightforward?

I think I'll probably take Maths Level 2 and World History. :smile: It's slightly disheartening though, a lot of posts I'm seeing on the internet seem to be essentially saying that these top universities are so competitive that there's no real point applying unless you started preparing from like the age of 5 - would you agree? :/

Either you're overly confident or you underestimate the competition at both Oxford and Cambridge. If you are exceptionally good at the subject you intend on applying for, it's probably easier to get into Oxbridge - otherwise you'd probably have more luck with the Ivies where you're not likely to be as academically challenged during the admissions process.

As for your last question, it's a load of rubbish that you need to have started preparing from the age of five...
Reply 13
Original post by Noble.
Either you're overly confident or you underestimate the competition at both Oxford and Cambridge. If you are exceptionally good at the subject you intend on applying for, it's probably easier to get into Oxbridge - otherwise you'd probably have more luck with the Ivies where you're not likely to be as academically challenged during the admissions process.

As for your last question, it's a load of rubbish that you need to have started preparing from the age of five...

Probably a bit of both aha, but I was always under the impression that it was much harder to get into say Harvard than Oxford, which doesn't seem that far fetched a sight to me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
It's just a different system. Some people will probably find the American uni process less challenging, some won't. For me the America essays make no sense!
I got the ACT prep guide today and I just do not understand how to do some of the math stuff... I don't even think some of it was studied at GCSE.
Reply 16
I got the ACT prep guide today and I just do not understand how to do some of the math stuff... I don't even think some of it was studied at GCSE.

I'd suggest the SAT - I only did math GCSE (got an A, so not that great), and the content is pretty straightforward, the main problem being timing. The ACT is thought to have harder, but less questions, while the SAT has easier but more.
Original post by elaras
I'd suggest the SAT - I only did math GCSE (got an A, so not that great), and the content is pretty straightforward, the main problem being timing. The ACT is thought to have harder, but less questions, while the SAT has easier but more.

I'd be able to make the decision on my own if the websites weren't so US-biased. They know foreigners sit the exams and dont offer any information about the UK/French/Irish etc. equivalents to their math topics. Like, we don't do calculus or pre-algebra so I don't know what that actually is...
I'd be able to make the decision on my own if the websites weren't so US-biased. They know foreigners sit the exams and dont offer any information about the UK/French/Irish etc. equivalents to their math topics. Like, we don't do calculus or pre-algebra so I don't know what that actually is...

If you don't know what something means you can always Google it and find out.

Calculus is covered in A-Level Maths. There isn't any Calculus on the SAT Math Level 2,1/ACT/SAT I.

There are many websites such as this that are specifically aimed at UK Applicants who want to study in the USA.
Original post by ThatPerson
If you don't know what something means you can always Google it and find out.

Calculus is covered in A-Level Maths. There isn't any Calculus on the SAT Math Level 2,1/ACT/SAT I.

There are many websites such as this that are specifically aimed at UK Applicants who want to study in the USA.

What are pre-calculus and pre-algebra..?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending