The Student Room Group

Considering Dropping out of Uni to change course

Just looking for some advise really about dropping out of uni, I've just finished my first year and am going into my second in September but having just received my over all grade I'm disappointed, I haven't really enjoyed the course the whole year and it definitely wasn't what I was expecting. I'm tied into a house here for the next 12 months with friends and boyfriend and there are no other courses at my university I'd want to do and the other uni's near aren't that good. So I am thinking of dropping out after the first term of my second year if I see no improvement in the course and my grades and waiting until September 2015 to try again on a different course though I'm not 100% sure what I even want to do. I'm don't know whether I would still be able to get money from student finance if I do decide to drop out in December for another 3 year course? I did well in my Alevels so I'm not worried about getting into another course I just don't think I have the passion and motivation for the subject I'm studying that I did before I started uni. If any ones dropped out and reapplied just interested to seeing how it went for others?
Reply 1
If you start your second year I think that'll rule you out of getting the full 3 years for a new course.
Reply 2
As above, if you drop out before a certain date then you won't have taken a full year funding, so you'll have 3 years to be able to pursue another degree.

If you didn't like first year and didn't get on with it so much, then I don't think staying for second year will help. Generally speaking, first semester of second year is quite typically the worst part of a degree. The expectations ramp up, it's a long semester, suddenly everything really counts etc. and it can take some adjusting.

Quick Reply

Latest