The Student Room Group

Incredibly worried and sad. Am I ruining my life by doing this?

Completed my first 2 years of Engineering at the University of Manchester. However, I only scraped a 2:1 and I absolutely HATE the course. It's making me very depressed doing something I don't enjoy. I want to switch to biomedical sciences, however, the University of Manchester is completely full.

I've spoken to Manchester Met and they instantly gave me a provisional offer. Am I ruining my life by switching to Man Met? I want to do Medicine after my Biomed degree. Everyone in UoM looks down on people from Man Met (obviously I don't) and I feel like I could be destroying my life by going from a very good uni to a not so good one. However, I will be doing a subject I enjoy a lot.

If I switch to Manchester Met and do biomed, will this still be a well respected degree?

I just need some reassurance as I'm incredibly sad and horrified to find out I cannot do biomed at my uni. Will I still have a good future ahead of me if I choose to switch from UoM to Man Met?
(edited 9 years ago)
Have you contacted any other universities?

Original post by randomguy786
Completed my first 2 years of Engineering at the University of Manchester. However, I only scraped a 2:1 and I absolutely HATE the course. It's making me very depressed doing something I don't enjoy. I want to switch to biomedical sciences, however, the University of Manchester is completely full.

I've spoken to Manchester Met and they instantly gave me a provisional offer. Am I ruining my life by switching to Man Met? I want to do Medicine after my Biomed degree. Everyone in UoM looks down on people from Man Met (obviously I don't) and I feel like I could be destroying my life by going from a very good uni to a not so good one. However, I will be doing a subject I enjoy a lot.

If I switch to Manchester Met and do biomed, will this still be a well respected degree?

I just need some reassurance as I'm incredibly sad and horrified to find out I cannot do biomed at my uni. Will I still have a good future ahead of me if I choose to switch from UoM to Man Met?

is engineering 3yrs?

if so id say since youve done 2 years, try and get through the last yr and then reapply to manc uni as a post graduate, you will also have more prep time :smile:

having 2 degrees would be amazing.

would you be content of leaving after enduring 2 years with one yr left? Ultimately its up to you, do what makes you happy
(edited 9 years ago)
You will be in no way "destroying [your] life". There's no point wasting time getting a degree that's making you unhappy, even if you are good at it. If you look at it in the long term, if you're having a miserable time now then the likelihood is you wont enjoy a job you get by doing that degree either.

If you know what you want to do then go for that- you only get one chance at life so you might as well spend it doing something you actually enjoy, but bare in mind that 2 years down the line you may feel the same way about bio-med as you do about engineering, you never know and it's a chance we all have to take in life!

There's nothing wrong with going to Man Met, or any other uni that isn't Russel group for that matter, I really think it's just something people say because you're in the same city so there's rivalry. It's like Man U and Man City football clubs, I'm sure the majority of people don't really 'hate' people who support the opposite team but for the purposes of rivalry (and football) they do. On the whole employers don't mind where your degree is from, it just matters what you got it in and what you got for it and as you plan to do medicine after they'll be more interested in that one anyway!

I really hope that helped to reassure you, do what makes you happy and don't care what anyone else thinks!
Reply 4
Before you decide anything phone around the medical schools and see their opinion on this. I imagine though, they wouldn't discriminate on where your degree has come from - I think that'd be very unfair. A bio-medical degree is a bio-medical degree, or at least it should be. Have you considered the idea of doing medicine after your engineering degree and leave out the bio-med? - If you don't have the subjects your could perhaps apply for a pre-medical course.
Original post by A sheesh
is engineering 3yrs?

if so id say since youve done 2 years, try and get through the last yr and then reapply to manc uni as a post graduate, you will also have more prep time :smile:

having 2 degrees would be amazing.

would you be content of leaving after enduring 2 years with one yr left? Ultimately its up to you, do what makes you happy

I honestly couldn't bare another year. It's absolute hell and is making me depressed. Also, I'll lose another year of funding if I carry on.

Original post by .S.K.T.
Before you decide anything phone around the medical schools and see their opinion on this. I imagine though, they wouldn't discriminate on where your degree has come from - I think that'd be very unfair. A bio-medical degree is a bio-medical degree, or at least it should be. Have you considered the idea of doing medicine after your engineering degree and leave out the bio-med? - If you don't have the subjects your could perhaps apply for a pre-medical course.

I've done a ton of research regarding this and it'd severely limit the med schools I could apply to. Also, biomed would help a lot with Medicine itself as there is a lot of similar content.

Original post by PossiblyMaybe
You will be in no way "destroying [your] life". There's no point wasting time getting a degree that's making you unhappy, even if you are good at it. If you look at it in the long term, if you're having a miserable time now then the likelihood is you wont enjoy a job you get by doing that degree either.

If you know what you want to do then go for that- you only get one chance at life so you might as well spend it doing something you actually enjoy, but bare in mind that 2 years down the line you may feel the same way about bio-med as you do about engineering, you never know and it's a chance we all have to take in life!

There's nothing wrong with going to Man Met, or any other uni that isn't Russel group for that matter, I really think it's just something people say because you're in the same city so there's rivalry. It's like Man U and Man City football clubs, I'm sure the majority of people don't really 'hate' people who support the opposite team but for the purposes of rivalry (and football) they do. On the whole employers don't mind where your degree is from, it just matters what you got it in and what you got for it and as you plan to do medicine after they'll be more interested in that one anyway!

I really hope that helped to reassure you, do what makes you happy and don't care what anyone else thinks!

EXACTLY! It's making me miserable. I want to enjoy uni, doing something I'm passionate about and have the best few years of my life. I've done a lot of research into the course content and it appeals to me greatly. Unfortunately, I did not do this with my current course and I hate every part of it :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
EXACTLY! It's making me miserable. I want to enjoy uni, doing something I'm passionate about and have the best few years of my life. I've done a lot of research into the course content and it appeals to me greatly. Unfortunately, I did not do this with my current course and I hate every part of it :frown:

Then I'd say go for it! You seem to know what you're doing. I wish you all the best :biggrin:
I'm planning on doing Engineering at Manchester, and its my first choice! I will be so disappointed if I don't get an offer. :biggrin:
Have you considered a university with a similar reputation to UoM that isn't in Manchester?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

Have you looked into the Student Finance implications if you're starting again from Year 1? You only get 1 'grace' year of funding and you've done 2. In the first year of your new degree you'll only get the minimum Maintenance Loan - no grant or tuition fee loan (you'll have to pay tuition fees yourself).
OP, you seem to be making a decision in great haste, grasping for the one offer you have enquired about. The sensible way forward would be to phone a variety of universities about a place on their biomed course, then choose the best course for you and your future ambitions. This may be outside Manchester.
Original post by Exceptional
Have you considered a university with a similar reputation to UoM that isn't in Manchester?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I only got BBB in my a-levels and secured an engineering place via clearing. Been in Manchester for 2 years and it'd suck to lose all my friends and be out of my comfort-zone in a new location.

ABB seems to be the minimum for unis similar to UoM.

Original post by Crumpet1
OP, you seem to be making a decision in great haste, grasping for the one offer you have enquired about. The sensible way forward would be to phone a variety of universities about a place on their biomed course, then choose the best course for you and your future ambitions. This may be outside Manchester.

Called a few unis: Leeds, Aston, Warwick, Queen Mary, St Georges. They're all ABB (a part from Aston, which is BBB). Honestly, if I want to do medicine after Biomed, I'm fairly sure it won't make a difference as to which uni I studied at.
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

What I want to do is, wait until clearing places have been announced on results day and then start calling unis. However, I only have until this Friday to respond to my MMU offer.

If I don't take this offer, I'm worried I'll have no where to go.
What I want to do is, wait until clearing places have been announced on results day and then start calling unis. However, I only have until this Friday to respond to my MMU offer.

If I don't take this offer, I'm worried I'll have no where to go.

Obviously it's important to study what you're passionate about, but don't forget it is important to be happy at the university you attend. Would you be happy at Manchester Met, or would you feel looked down on for three years, like you say UoM students already do?

Considered Strathclyde, Edinburgh, Southampton and Birkbeck? They all require BBB.
Considered Strathclyde, Edinburgh, Southampton and Birkbeck? They all require BBB.

This is good advice OP. You should call all these unis and hopefully give yourself some options.
Obviously it's important to study what you're passionate about, but don't forget it is important to be happy at the university you attend. Would you be happy at Manchester Met, or would you feel looked down on for three years, like you say UoM students already do?

Exactly, I'd feel incredibly sad being looked down upon for 3 years. However, I still have my friends from UoM, who hopefully won't be too bothered by it. Also, I'm sure I'll be able to meet some cool people at MMU?

The thing is, my family are moving from the country this year so I'll be here alone. I'd prefer to stay in Manchester because I'm familiar with the area, have friends and already have accommodation.

It's a really tough choice.

PS - Southampton is AAB!
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi,

I don't know if this is any help, but Keele's standard offer for Biomedical Science is BBB and it's not far from Manchester.
Exactly, I'd feel incredibly sad being looked down upon for 3 years. However, I still have my friends from UoM, who hopefully won't be too bothered by it. Also, I'm sure I'll be able to meet some cool people at MMU?

The thing is, my family are moving from the country this year so I'll be here alone. I'd prefer to stay in Manchester because I'm familiar with the area, have friends and already have accommodation.

It's a really tough choice.

PS - Southampton is AAB!

http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/Degree-details/Biochemistry-Biomedical-Science-and-Pharmacology-BSc-Hons-course-details/54980562/5625/cdetail.html

Although I'm sure you have more than one science A-level considering you're doing Engineering, so you might not be able to apply for it.

True, but you'd make new friends in a new location, and have friends in Manchester to visit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest