The Student Room Group

Ceasing contact with parents due to a dispute.

Has anyone ceased contact with both their parents? How do you make that transition?

I have decided that I want to stop being in contact with them and don't want to have anything to do with them any longer.

Recently the prick and bitch asked me to sign a waiver that I won't make a claim or to challenge their will. I didn't sign anything as I told them I should seek some legal advice to that matter first to ensure I know what was it I'm signing. They first hesitated then finally they showed the contents of their will.

They are leaving nothing for me but everything goes towards the other 3 siblings and their children. First they said the others need their money more than me as they are poorly educated and isn't doing well in life. Then they said they spent a lot more on my education.

I did look at it and calculated it back in real terms that true they sent me to boarding school and paid for my time at university. However it is nothing by comparison to what they had done for the others, 1 didn't go to uni because he is a waster but they bought him a house in a nice area and set him up with a car. The others did go to university though a not very good one. Again parents bought them a house each and when they graduated they each received a car. I didn't get any of those opting instead to buy my own car.

I told them they can do whatever the hell they wanted and I wasn't going to sign anything. Then they kept pushing to sign it and told me they'd give me a small token for doing so but I told them I wanted the house my grandparents lived in and was willing to buy it over at market value, they disagreed saying that house is what the eldest wants. I told them they can do whatever they wanted and don't call me again.

I get it I'm not their favourite but I was hoping I could at least take over the house my late grandparents lived at as it has lots of special memories in it and of the 3 of us I was the only one who ever spent any time there. It wasn't that I wanted it for nothing but even paying for it seems as if it is too much to ask for I don't see the point of even having them in my life.

Thoughts and tips.

Scroll to see replies

I would love to hear their side to this story...
Reply 2
Wait until you face some real adversity.
Reply 3
Original post by Jingers
You're so selfish.

"No mum and dad, I want the big house when you die."

The house I want isn't big and I was willing to buy it off them but they want to give it to their loser son.
Reply 4
Bump
Reply 5
seems only fair......you have less needs.

they gave you food and shelter, what more do you need?

people aren't treated fairly in life, it is as is.
Reply 6
Original post by kimolozen
seems only fair......you have less needs.

they gave you food and shelter, what more do you need?

people aren't treated fairly in life, it is as is.

How is it fair that the 3 of them stand to gain at least £1.2million in addition to the loads they had already received and blown.
Reply 7
Original post by Huskaris
I would love to hear their side to this story...

Their side isn't relevant.
Original post by Anonymous
Their side isn't relevant.

Then without their side of the story all I can conclude is that you are a spoilt ungrateful little brat throwing your toys out of the pram.

Their side is relevant.
Sorry I'm Asian.

Ah just saw this.

Sorry I no longer have any idea on how to help you. Just hope you're an Asian guy and not girl, if you're a girl I would sign the documents they've asked you to sign. Would hate to see you disappear or something.
They don't owe you anything.

I hope you go to court because you will lose.
So are you going to cut contact with your siblings too or is it just the 'prick and bitch' that you've issues with?

Thoughts and tips.

I cut my parents out of my life a few years ago for similarish reasons to you. I haven't talked to them at all in, hmm, at least two years.

I don't think the arguments that 'they can do what they like', 'it's their money', are very strong. Of course anyone can do whatever they like within the law, but that doesn't mean that you have to smile sweetly and accept it, even if it is your parents doing it.

Not really sure I understand what you mean by 'how do you make that transition?' Perhaps it is different for you for cultural reasons? You just stop contacting them. If they contact you, the first few times tell them 'I don't want you to contact me for reason X, leave me alone', and then stop replying altogether.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Don't know why everyone's being snotty on this thread.

Seems to me from a logical standpoint you should receive something. Even if not as much as others. The real thing is that I'm guessing you don't really want tem out of your life, it's obviously because they've left you out o their will.

In terms of moving forward, just delete their numbers, move to another town and be done with it? Take that promotion at work in London or Manchester and just get away!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Speaking as a mother I cannot imagine my 3 children wanting to cut contact with myself or their father. The thought makes me so sad.

OP - you seem to be very bitter about this and I know it will be difficult for you but you have to put it behind you. It does seem a bit extreme that you want to cut contact because they won't leave you money - all children should be treated equally and quite frankly you are being a bit mercenary. You have evidently done something that has angered them.

My husbands brother was not sent to uni - he was the favourite child. He was given a car and about £100 000 - in fact he has been given 5 cars. He is now nearly fifty and is still a loser. Unemployed, feckless and still begging off his mother.
Original post by Audi
Don't know why everyone's being snotty on this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe because it's hard to be sympathetic to someone whose main problem in life is that he's not inheriting enough from his millionaire parents.
I think your parents have been foolish. If they have a will drawn up that is valid in law then it cannot really be challenged as long as they are of sound mind when it as drawn up.

They therefore dont need to show you or anyone else that will nor do they need to ask you to sign anything.

In fact their will is none of your business and neither you nor your siblings are entitled to anything save for what they may choose to gift to you.
Original post by MancStudent098
Maybe because it's hard to be sympathetic to someone whose main problem in life is that he's not inheriting enough from his millionaire parents.

He's not inheriting ANYTHING, that's a big difference. To be fair to the OP, his parents have acted unfairly.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MancStudent098

He's not inheriting anything at all..
Original post by Sazzy890
He's not inheriting ANYTHING, that's a big difference. It is pretty unfair to be fair to the OP.

You beat me to it :frown:

Quick Reply