The Student Room Group

Am I legally bound to tell an employer why I am taking a gap year?

I did poorly at my second year of my course, and was handed a decision that means I cannot re-apply to said course until 2015. Since first year was fine, and I had enough credits to pass that, I can jump straight into repeating second year in 2015. However, am I legally bound to tell my employer that failing my second year is the nature of my gap year? I know telling them that would greatly damage my chances of a job.

Thanks.
Original post by spacevagina2055
I did poorly at my second year of my course, and was handed a decision that means I cannot re-apply to said course until 2015. Since first year was fine, and I had enough credits to pass that, I can jump straight into repeating second year in 2015. However, am I legally bound to tell my employer that failing my second year is the nature of my gap year? I know telling them that would greatly damage my chances of a job.

Thanks.

You need to be creative about it. Describe it as a "Sabbatical" from academic study to gain work experience.
Original post by Old_Simon
You need to be creative about it. Describe it as a "Sabbatical" from academic study to gain work experience.

I never even thought of that. I'll have to try it, hopefully it works! Thank you.
I never even thought of that. I'll have to try it, hopefully it works! Thank you.

Good luck ! :wink:

And actually use it to gain work experience
Original post by scrotgrot
And actually use it to gain work experience

I will. I'm hoping to get a second job (already got a part time one) and to join a night class of some kind.

Thanks.

I don't think there is a legal requirement for you to disclose this. Just tell them you want to gain work experience is my advice. Good luck:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest