The Student Room Group

Good enough score for Leicester?

I'm thinking of applying to Leiceister medical school for 2015 entry. Leiceister operate on an points based system to assess applicants - a score out of 34 for GCSEs and AS-levels and another score out of 34 for the UKCAT. This score is then combined to give a total score out of 68. Using this criteria I have a possible score of 51/68(AS results out on 14th). Is this score good enough for Leicester or should I consider applying somewhere else?
Original post by Medboy99
I'm thinking of applying to Leiceister medical school for 2015 entry. Leiceister operate on an points based system to assess applicants - a score out of 34 for GCSEs and AS-levels and another score out of 34 for the UKCAT. This score is then combined to give a total score out of 68. Using this criteria I have a possible score of 51/68(AS results out on 14th). Is this score good enough for Leicester or should I consider applying somewhere else?

It is hard to say now they have changed the scoring system. However last year you needed a score of 58/60 to get an interview which had increased from the year before. It does seem a little risky to apply with 51/68.
Reply 2
Original post by Amyk89
It is hard to say now they have changed the scoring system. However last year you needed a score of 58/60 to get an interview which had increased from the year before. It does seem a little risky to apply with 51/68.

Ohh okay, thanks. I thought it would be risky to try applying - do you know what you needed the year before (before the 58/60)? And are you a current Leiceister medic/applicant?
Reply 3
When I applied and subsequently got in they were using a 48/50 cut-off. I don't imagine being 17 points off is a good thing, do you?
Original post by Medboy99
Ohh okay, thanks. I thought it would be risky to try applying - do you know what you needed the year before (before the 58/60)? And are you a current Leiceister medic/applicant?

If I remember correctly you needed 57/60 and the same the year before. Having a wider range of scores for academics and ukcat may mean you don't need as high a score (out of 68) but I would imagine you would still need pretty close to full marks. I do think 17 points off is going to be too much of a risk and you'd probably be better applying to places where you would have a higher chance of getting an interview.

I start a101 (grad entry) at Leicester in Sept.
Reply 5
I was also wondering about this years cut-off score as it's hard to tell exactly. Does anyone have any idea about what the score could be this year?
Original post by DMBP
I was also wondering about this years cut-off score as it's hard to tell exactly. Does anyone have any idea about what the score could be this year?

The cut-off isn't determined until they see the scores of everyone who applied. It will also depend a lot on ukcat scores and if they are as high as last year.
Reply 7
Thanks for replying, at the open day we were also told that they're reducing numbers for interview, which I thought could push up the cut off score even more! I guess no one will know until every application is sent off
Original post by DMBP
Thanks for replying, at the open day we were also told that they're reducing numbers for interview, which I thought could push up the cut off score even more! I guess no one will know until every application is sent off

Did they say that everyone below the cut-off score is guaranteed to be rejected prior an interview?
From the scoring I'll have a max score of 32/34 for gcse/aslevels, if I get AAAA, if the cut off score is going to be higher than 60 then I have to get 700+ average on my UKCAT? -.- o god
Reply 9
Yeah but if you are on the borderline (say the cut-off is 61 and you get 60) then I think they compare your personal statements.
But pretty much you have to do well on your ukcat! I wish they didn't put so much weight on it though!
What did you get in your UKCAT just out of interest?
Reply 11
Hmm see in theory I should get around 63.5/68 if I can get my UKCAT score similar to last year! Bit concerned about that being enough :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending