The Student Room Group

According to even the most biased sources - 900 of the dead in Gaza are men

Mods: Please don't merge this thread as I believe this deserves to be discussed on its own merit rather than getting lost in the Israel/Pal thread.

I watched Al Jazeera where the host quoted casualty figures as 342 women and children. It struck me as a bit odd given that we've been told 1,200 are dead (mostly civilians is the claim)

That leaves around 900 fatalities who are men.

The list propagated by the Hamas-controlled Gaza ministries is not necessarily in synch with the one being compiled by a United Nations agency. A spokesperson from the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OSHA) who spoke on condition of anonymity because she was not authorized to speak to the media, told The Media Line that as of the morning of July 29, 1,109 Palestinians, including at least 821 civilians (of whom were 239 children, and 124 women), 179 fighters and 109 with status undetermined, have been killed since the start of hostilities on July 7.

The spokesperson explained that “the Protection Cluster collects and verifies information regarding fatalities in Gaza, and these preliminary figures are used by the humanitarian community in situation reports. In terms of methodology, the UN Office of High Commissioner for Human Rights (as Protection Cluster) compiles initial reports of fatalities from the media and other sources, and works with Palestinian and Israeli human rights organizations to cross-check and verify these reports, and whether the individuals are civilians or combatants. Fatality figures are only included once they have been corroborated by more than one organization.”
Israeli officials believe the problems with the list are not accidental or coincidental. Ehrlich charges that the list is intended to serve as evidence that “Israel is slaughtering civilians to create a structure of facts for Hamas’s foreign policy and to lay the foundation for legal actions Hamas intends to use against Israel ‘the day after’ Operation Protective Shield” is concluded.
Ehrlich alleges that a pattern of double identification that surfaced among a number of the names checked means the individuals were simultaneously operatives of terrorist organizations and on active duty with the Palestinian security forces in the Gaza Strip.
In six cases, names identified were part of the Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades, the military wing of Hamas; while three were serving in the national security force of the Palestinian Ministry of Interior and three served in the police. Upon their deaths, each organization issued a separate eulogy poster for its fallen member.

What's concerning here is that Hamas control the hospitals, Hamas control the health ministry, Hamas control the media in Gaza, Hamas controls every bomb site. Yet the UN admits it gets some of its figures from the media.

Given that after operation Cast Lead Hamas claimed only 46 of its fighters had been killed and the rest were civilians - only 6 months later coming clean and saying 600-700 fighter died, are we being mislead again?

It seems to me that 900 men (it would be interesting to see how many were of fighting age) is a "disproportionate" number of men to be killed if they were mere civilians.

Why are we not being told the truth?
Has this got something to do with "feminism" ?

If so it belongs in the "society" section
I dont understand why everyone is hung up on women and children being killed, are the men being killed not as important?
Original post by College_Dropout
I dont understand why everyone is hung up on women and children being killed, are the men being killed not as important?

well the children are entirely innocent and are having their lives cut short before they've even experienced anything...and most of the time they don't even know what the fighting is about
Reply 4
Original post by College_Dropout

As already pointed out, there's an 'innocence' attached to kids and to some extent women too.

It seems odd that so many casualties are men, yet the narrative is that it's 80% civilians etc.

So are civilian men more susceptible to dying? or are we being lead up the garden path?
Original post by Pinzgauer
As already pointed out, there's an 'innocence' attached to kids and to some extent women too.

It seems odd that so many casualties are men, yet the narrative is that it's 80% civilians etc.

So are civilian men more susceptible to dying? or are we being lead up the garden path?

It's Hamas PR policy to call everyone killed an 'innocent civilian'
Reply 6
Original post by Radicalathiest
It's Hamas PR policy to call everyone killed an 'innocent civilian'

Indeed, it was in the instructional they released

http://www.memri.org/report/en/0/0/0/0/0/0/8076.htm
Indeed, it was in the instructional they released

http://www.memri.org/report/en/0/0/0/0/0/0/8076.htm

I do wonder why people fall for this type of propaganda
Reply 8
I do wonder why people fall for this type of propaganda

It's more sinister than that, it's a smear campaign against Israel.

Hamas lied during Cast Lead about their casualties.

That didn't stop the BBC and others parroting them.

Now even with the knowledge that Hamas has previously lied, the BBC is still going with 1,200 killed, mostly civilians and not telling us how many men of fighting age died.

Nor did they report Hamas' instructional on labelling everyone as a civilian.
It's more sinister than that, it's a smear campaign against Israel.

Hamas lied during Cast Lead about their casualties.

That didn't stop the BBC and others parroting them.

Now even with the knowledge that Hamas has previously lied, the BBC is still going with 1,200 killed, mostly civilians and not telling us how many men of fighting age died.

Nor did they report Hamas' instructional on labelling everyone as a civilian.

Have to agree with all you say here

luckly though, most of us can see through the propaganda
Reply 10
luckly though, most of us can see through the propaganda

:rofl: You must have noticed that you're talking to a devoted propagandist their in Pinzgauer I guess?
Original post by n00
:rofl: You must have noticed that you're talking to a devoted propagandist their in Pinzgauer I guess?

I see you go for the personal attack

poor so very poor
Reply 12

Nar, just an observation. Have you had a look at their post history? And their previous accounts post history?
Original post by n00
Nar, just an observation. Have you had a look at their post history? And their previous accounts post history?

Play the ball not the man:rolleyes:
Reply 14

poor so very poor

He follows everyone around who posts anything pro-Israel and accuses them of being paid.

I don't know why the odious troll is still free to post.
Reply 15
Play the ball not the man:rolleyes:

Nar, trolling is against the rules, they should've been banned like their previous account.
Reply 16
He follows everyone around who posts anything pro-Israel and accuses them of being paid.

No just you.:perv:

I don't know why the odious troll is still free to post
Good point. How the **** have you managed not to get banned?
(edited 9 years ago)

What's concerning here is that Hamas control the hospitals, Hamas control the health ministry, Hamas control the media in Gaza, Hamas controls every bomb site. Yet the UN admits it gets some of its figures from the media.

Just a point, but why is it surprising that they control the country, when they themselves were voted in by the people, leading to the blockade?
Reply 18
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
Just a point, but why is it surprising that they control the country, when they themselves were voted in by the people

No surprise, I was just stating fact. They are an internationally proscribed terrorist group and as such I don't think they should be believed.

Also I don't think they should control the press or hospitals.

leading to the blockade?

It was the rocket attacks, Hamas coming to power, killing of Fatah rivals and then chasing out the EU monitors from the Rafa crossing that brought about the blockade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending