The Student Room Group

Interview for auxiliary nurse at community hospital

Hi all

basically I was doing my degree in adult nursing when I found out I was expecting so I left after 1st year and it isn't a viable option to continue. I am however ready to return to work and have got myself an interview at a community hospital nearby.

I have a few questions as in quite nervous about the interview.

1. Will there be a literacy and numeracy test? There was nothing In the interview details and it said there was no extra preparation required. I'm not bothered about the English but I suck at maths!

2. I would love to still do my nursing but wondered of anyone here has done the training as part of their job instead of having to attend uni and do all the long placements? This is what I was going to struggle with with 2 kids.

3. What kind of questions am I likely to be asked? I know so of them will be similar to the questions to get in to uni but anything else?

I'd really love the job the hours are perfect and so close to me. I have my SVQ level 2 in health social care and would like to get my level 3, I have 3 years care experience from working as a homecarer as well as having placements in the infirmary.

thanks for any replies.
Original post by Lgl88
2. I would love to still do my nursing but wondered of anyone here has done the training as part of their job instead of having to attend uni and do all the long placements? This is what I was going to struggle with with 2 kids.

You cannot train as a registered nurse "on the job". You have to go to university and complete the placements they send you on. Some NHS employers second their staff to go to university to train as a registered nurse but it still involves all the academic work and placements.
Reply 2
Thank you for the reply
I just asked as while I was on a placement at the infirmary near me there were students there as part of the open university so naturally I asked them and they already worked at the hospital and their job counted as placements and essays were done as they would be a university. Maybe I picked them up wrong 😕
Original post by Lgl88
Thank you for the reply
I just asked as while I was on a placement at the infirmary near me there were students there as part of the open university so naturally I asked them and they already worked at the hospital and their job counted as placements and essays were done as they would be a university. Maybe I picked them up wrong 😕

They could have been doing their training through the OU, some people do but I don't think it's a hugely popular way of people training. Lots of people manage to train as nurses through uni with kids, there's a fair bit of support and you should get financial support in your bursary towards childcare. Quite often people also have to rely on friends and family to plug some gaps in childcare, but it's do-able.
Reply 4
Original post by moonkatt
They could have been doing their training through the OU, some people do but I don't think it's a hugely popular way of people training. Lots of people manage to train as nurses through uni with kids, there's a fair bit of support and you should get financial support in your bursary towards childcare. Quite often people also have to rely on friends and family to plug some gaps in childcare, but it's do-able.

If there is no way to do it through my job at the moment I may return when my children are older but my youngest is only 8 months so going back full time isn't an option just now. The auxiliary nurse position is only part time so ideal to still work in health care without being the ogre I was while at uni
Reply 5
On a side note I've just read on the nhs careers site about secondment where an employer will allow you to study part time to qualify if you are a healthcare practitioner so I guess I could look into getting that far then going from there that answers that question for now. ������
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending