The Student Room Group

UN should Intervene

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28558433

It's ridiculous. Even after warning they still fired on the UN school.
They're using the mortar excuse again, I mean if that happened wouldn't UN have heard.

UN told them there were gaza citizens on the school and then it was attacked because of 'mortar' fire in the area I say that's bull.

Scroll to see replies

Yes, they just attacked the school indiscriminately because Israel love nothing more than slaughtering children and drawing the ire of the UN to no conceivable tactical benefit.
Should. Won't.
Original post by Unkempt_One
Yes, they just attacked the school indiscriminately because Israel love nothing more than slaughtering children and drawing the ire of the UN to no conceivable tactical benefit.

No, they're just not really bothered about how many Palestinians end up dead
Reply 4

What was the benefit of destroying the school?
Original post by Qari

To stop the outgoing fire

it's quite simple - don't fire at Israel and it won't fire back

But crying when they do fire back shows how week Hamas and it's 'fighters' are becoming

But don't worry it will soon be over once Israel has destroyed the terrorist facilities and closed the tunnels and hamas will be nothing but a bloody mess still hidindg behind women's skirts and children's schools
Reply 6
Original post by Radicalathiest
To stop the outgoing fire

it's quite simple - don't fire at Israel and it won't fire back

But crying when they do fire back shows how week Hamas and it's 'fighters' are becoming

But don't worry it will soon be over once Israel has destroyed the terrorist facilities and closed the tunnels and hamas will be nothing but a bloody mess still hidindg behind women's skirts and children's schools

How is destroying the school stopping outgoing fire?
Original post by Qari

There was no benefit, and that's also the reason it's unlikely they did it deliberately. As far as I can tell from the article they used artillery shells to attack a position they were receiving mortar fire from. If they only had a vague location, the artillery fire is unlikely to be completely accurate, and that's why the school was hit. There are going to be more events like this unfortunately, as Hamas are most likely deliberately luring the Israeli military into hitting civilian targets, because perversely, unlike Israel, Hamas benefit greatly from a relatively small but nonetheless significant number of Palestinian deaths.
Original post by Qari

It stops it from being used as a firing platform by those 'brave' Hamas fighters.

You do know that using school's hospitals etc to house weapons and fire from is a war crime don't you?
Original post by Qari

He will probably say because Hamas uses the school to fire rockets to prevent Israel striking back.

But if Hamas stores weapons at schools across Gaza, does that mean Israel would be justified in destroying every school in Gaza killing tens of thousands of children in the process? I think many people here would argue yes. I don't think I would.
Reply 10
There was no benefit, and that's also the reason it's unlikely they did it deliberately. As far as I can tell from the article they used artillery shells to attack a position they were receiving mortar fire from. If they only had a vague location, the artillery fire is unlikely to be completely accurate, and that's why the school was hit. There are going to be more events like this unfortunately, as Hamas are most likely deliberately luring the Israeli military into hitting civilian targets, because perversely, unlike Israel, Hamas benefit greatly from a relatively small but nonetheless significant number of Palestinian deaths.

Yh but wouldn't UN memebers in the school have heard the firing.of mortar if it was close by?
And expand on.your last point please
Reply 11
UN have no power over Israel lol
Reply 12
It stops it from being used as a firing platform by those 'brave' Hamas fighters.

You do know that using school's hospitals etc to house weapons and fire from is a war crime don't you?

You do know the storing point makes no sense. I mean if they can dig tunnels to get into Israel why can't they do the same to store weapons.
And storing weapons where anyone.can find them? Yh that shows logic.
Original post by Qari
Yh but wouldn't UN memebers in the school have heard the firing.of mortar if it was close by?
And expand on.your last point please

Hamas do not allows UN into the schools without Hamas supervising access

its why we get things like this

http://af.reuters.com/article/egyptNews/idAFL6N0Q45TO20140729

The United Nations agency that looks after Palestinian refugees said on Tuesday it had found a cache of rockets at one of its schools in the Gaza Strip and deplored those who had put them there.
Original post by Qari
You do know the storing point makes no sense. I mean if they can dig tunnels to get into Israel why can't they do the same to store weapons.
And storing weapons where anyone.can find them? Yh that shows logic.

to you perhaps

do you deny that Hamas use UN facilities and hospitals to store weapons and to fire on Israel?
Reply 15
Original post by Law-Hopeful
He will probably say because Hamas uses the school to fire rockets to prevent Israel striking back.

But if Hamas stores weapons at schools across Gaza, does that mean Israel would be justified in destroying every school in Gaza killing tens of thousands of children in the process? I think many people here would argue yes. I don't think I would.

If Hamas can dig tunnels to get into Israel why can't they do the same for hiding weapons?
Reply 16
Hamas do not allows UN into the schools without Hamas supervising access

its why we get things like this

http://af.reuters.com/article/egyptNews/idAFL6N0Q45TO20140729

The United Nations agency that looks after Palestinian refugees said on Tuesday it had found a cache of rockets at one of its schools in the Gaza Strip and deplored those who had put them there.

Yh I saw that article. Wasn't the school an.abandoned one?
Reply 17
to you perhaps

do you deny that Hamas use UN facilities and hospitals to store weapons and to fire on Israel?

I can't say anything. All we have is some weapons found in an abandoned building.
So I will.need more evidence before I.can say anything.
What about Syria? Iraq? Libya? Eastern DRC? Somalia? There is a lot on the plate for the UN to deal with. Diplomats are working around the clock for a ceasefire, but neither Hamas nor Israel really want one.
Original post by Qari
Yh I saw that article. Wasn't the school an.abandoned one?

Do you agree or not that Hamas use UN facilities to store and fire weapons

It's a simple question

Quick Reply

Latest