The Student Room Group

Volunteering

I want to apply for medicine for 2015 entry. I wanted to know how essential is volunteer work in hospitals, can I still apply without it? Also can I do my volunteer work in a different setting instead i.e with young children. Thank you
idk because im not doing medicine, but surely any hands on work with people will be beneficial...
Reply 2
See NHS site
Reply 3
Hey there! Volunteering is rather important, particularly for the personal statement and consequently the personal statement. Now! Let me be clear, it -doesn't- need to be work experience in a clinical setting, it could be teaching in a primary school or anything. So long as you can argue that you have gained transferable skills that will be beneficial to you in medicine it does not matter.

There are some things you will want to convey you have learnt from work experience/volunteering:

Independence
Organisation
Responsibility
Communication Skills
TEAM WORK (very very important.)
Empathy (EXTRAORDINARILY IMPORTANT)
Integrity (SUPER IMPORTANT)

Volunteering in a hospital or any clinical environment is useful. Though providing you have decent enough work experience and have witnessed a medical atmosphere I would say you'll be grand. As you will be asked at interviews your experiences in these settings and what you gained from them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending