The Student Room Group

2017 vet med students

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
You're right mate, I apologise. Also all of the vet practices that I've been to have machines that print stickers with prescriptions on, so we don't even have to do that. Vets have super easy jobs, plus they have really short working hours, all of their clients are really co-operative, and to top it off vets get paid BUCKETLOADS, it's amazing :biggrin:

I dunno, I've never seen it.

Wow, being a vet sounds like a pretty comfy job, you just have to learn to recognise what's wrong with all the animals. The clients may be co-operative, but the pets might have a different attitude :biggrin:

Lawyers (the type that I want to be anyway) have really long working hours and are pretty much worked to the bone, if they can cut it they can climb up the commercial food chain, if not then they find a different area of law to practise. So it's often a lot of work for nothing, but I cant imagine myself doing anything other than that.
Reply 21
It always happens at the most inconvenient times, doesn't it? :rolleyes: . Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Cows are lovely :biggrin: Next year I'll have a couple of afternoons off school and the farmer at the place I went to has confirmed that he'd be happy for me to do an afternoon there every week, I can't wait! :biggrin:

Here's one of the gorgeous girlies that lives there :h:

YES it does :frown: I missed the biggest op, as well. One of the nurses said it was very hot in the operating theatre though, so it probably wouldn't have been the best place to spend a day if I was feeling ill!
Aw wow, that sounds great! She's a cutie! :biggrin: Do you have any other long-term placements?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 22
Thanks everyone.
I've been struggling
Original post by All-rounder
Wow, being a vet sounds like a pretty comfy job, you just have to learn to recognise what's wrong with all the animals. The clients may be co-operative, but the pets might have a different attitude :biggrin:

Lawyers (the type that I want to be anyway) have really long working hours and are pretty much worked to the bone, if they can cut it they can climb up the commercial food chain, if not then they find a different area of law to practise. So it's often a lot of work for nothing, but I cant imagine myself doing anything other than that.

(I was working at a vet today and we finished up more than an hour and a half after closing time. Vets get paid nothing compared to human medics, and I wish the clients were as compliant as their animals :wink: )

Seriously though, I'm pleased that you know what you want to do with your life and I genuinely hope you get to where you want to be :smile:
Reply 24

Seriously!
Get a life! If you want to be a lawyer get off a vet thread. You clearly don't realise the work load of a vet

(I was working at a vet today and we finished up more than an hour and a half after closing time. Vets get paid nothing compared to human medics, and I wish the clients were as compliant as their animals :wink: )

Seriously though, I'm pleased that you know what you want to do with your life and I genuinely hope you get to where you want to be :smile:

Ahhh bloody hell, sarcasm is always catching me out. It's too hard to tell from writing...
So if the hours arent great and the pay is worthless then why do you want to go into that profession?
Original post by nox1
YES it does :frown: I missed the biggest op, as well. One of the nurses said it was very hot in the operating theatre though, so it probably wouldn't have been the best place to spend a day if I was feeling ill!
Aw wow, that sounds great! She's a cutie! :biggrin: Do you have any other long-term placements?

Sorry to hear that, although I'm sure there will be many more opportunities to see surgery in the future :smile: I've been at a vet for a week and the operating room has been like a sauna. We put one of the fans in the kennel room to keep the animals cool which meant we were slowly melting :tongue:

I've volunteered for almost two years at an urban farm and I've watched consults at a local vet practice every Monday after school for a year :smile:
Reply 27

Unfortunately I've apparently rated your posts too often, but I would rep you if I could!! :rolleyes:
Original post by pphilip99
Seriously!
Get a life! If you want to be a lawyer get off a vet thread. You clearly don't realise the work load of a vet

I didn't know they were being sarcastic, wow, no need to be so aggressive...
Reply 29
Ahhh bloody hell, sarcasm is always catching me out. It's too hard to tell from writing...
So if the hours arent great and the pay is worthless then why do you want to go into that profession?

We love it! It's a life, not a career.
Reply 30
Sorry to hear that, although I'm sure there will be many more opportunities to see surgery in the future :smile: I've been at a vet for a week and the operating room has been like a sauna. We put one of the fans in the kennel room to keep the animals cool which meant we were slowly melting :tongue:

I've volunteered for almost two years at an urban farm and I've watched consults at a local vet practice every Monday after school for a year :smile:

Ugh, yeah! All the consulting rooms are hot enough, let alone the operating room!! Haha, lucky animals :wink: I do feel bad for dogs with long fur in this weather, though.
We love it! It's a life, not a career.

Fair enough, can't argue with that. Everyone should go into a profession which they love, in my opinion.

I could ask you the same thing about law :lol: ! I just couldn't imagine myself going anything else. It's an incredibly rewarding career that is constantly evolving and the work that vets do (remember that not all of them work in practices, a lot end up in research :smile: ) is important to many other sectors. It's going to be hard work, but everything that I've done over the years has only made me want it more. :biggrin:
Reply 33
I didn't know they were being sarcastic, wow, no need to be so aggressive...

You've been making uneducated comments about everything
You've been making uneducated comments about everything

Still no need for mindless violence :P I am currently being educated by Little Tail Chaser
I could ask you the same thing about law :lol: ! I just couldn't imagine myself going anything else. It's an incredibly rewarding career that is constantly evolving and the work that vets do (remember that not all of them work in practices, a lot end up in research :smile: ) is important to many other sectors. It's going to be hard work, but everything that I've done over the years has only made me want it more. :biggrin:

the pay for law isn't worthless though, we often charge by the hour (including our lunch hour) and it sure beats doing manual labour for a living. Surprisingly, doing educated work is a whole lot easier than lifting and moving stuff all day
the pay for law isn't worthless though, we often charge by the hour (including our lunch hour) and it sure beats doing manual labour for a living. Surprisingly, doing educated work is a whole lot easier than lifting and moving stuff all day

The pay for veterinary isn't exactly low either, just comparative to other (extremely similar) careers, it's a lot less. Then you have the clients that accuse you of overcharging because they genuinely have no idea of how much drugs and medical equipment cost. Fun times.

I personally enjoy being up and about all day, so, while I wouldn't describe vet work as manual labour and therefore don't see why you bought that up, your point is subjective. Certainly I don't think it's necessary to $hit on people who do manual labour given that a) they are jobs that need to be filled. I certainly like living in my house that was built by someone carrying out *manual labour*, b) they're a way for people to make money, and that's better for them and c) jobs that involve manual labour are often unfairly looked down on, but for a lot of people that will be the career they want, so good for them for doing it.
(edited 9 years ago)
The pay for veterinary isn't exactly low either, just comparative to other (extremely similar) careers, it's a lot less. Then you have the clients that accuse you of overcharging because they genuinely have no idea of how much drugs and medical equipment cost. Fun times.

I personally enjoy being up and about all day, so, while I wouldn't describe vet work as manual labour and therefore don't see why you bought that up, your point is subjective. Certainly I don't think it's necessary to **** on people who do manual labour given that a) they are jobs that need to be filled. I certainly like living in my house that was built by someone carrying out *manual labour*, b) they're a way for people to make money, and that's better for them and c) jobs that involve manual labour are often unfairly looked down on, but for a lot of people that will be the career they want, so good for them for doing it.

I dont see vet work as manual labour, it's just the opposite to my chosen profession, so I was saying how i preferred mental jobs rather than manual labour jobs
I dont see vet work as manual labour, it's just the opposite to my chosen profession, so I was saying how i preferred mental jobs rather than manual labour jobs

Fair enough, I just didn't see how that was relevant is all :tongue: . Each to their own :smile:
9.5/10 for sarcasm, completely flummoxed them lol

I personally enjoy being up and about all day, so, while I wouldn't describe vet work as manual labour and therefore don't see why you bought that up, your point is subjective. Certainly I don't think it's necessary to **** on people who do manual labour given that a) they are jobs that need to be filled. I certainly like living in my house that was built by someone carrying out *manual labour*, b) they're a way for people to make money, and that's better for them and c) jobs that involve manual labour are often unfairly looked down on, but for a lot of people that will be the career they want, so good for them for doing it.

d) Our clients are often if not exclusively in manual labour jobs depending on who they are.
e) Manual labour is great fun
f) LA veterinary is a cross of manual and mental work

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending