The Student Room Group

2017 vet med students

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Angry cucumber
9.5/10 for sarcasm, completely flummoxed them lol

d) Our clients are often if not exclusively in manual labour jobs depending on who they are.
e) Manual labour is great fun
f) LA veterinary is a cross of manual and mental work

:smile:

:wink:

Absolutely :smile: I think the whole 'manual labour jobs' vs 'mental jobs' thing is ridiculous anyway, as most professions involve a component of both. The implication that no knowledge is needed for manual labour is ridiculous and pompous. I'd love to see All-rounder spend a day on a farm :lol:, I'd certainly have no idea how to run one myself, despite all the time I seem spend on them. I'd hate to do a job that involved sitting behind a desk all day :tongue: How boring.
Reply 41
Did anyone watch Operation Wild last night? I really enjoyed it, especially the gorilla parts.

Also, I'm sure there are more prospective 2017 students out there!
Original post by nox1
Did anyone watch Operation Wild last night? I really enjoyed it, especially the gorilla parts.

Also, I'm sure there are more prospective 2017 students out there!

I did! It was really interesting. The bit with the elephant was fascinating, I found it really cool how they had to improvise with the hospital x-ray machine. Loved the bit with the vultures too. And the lil' panda cubs!

I'll stop invading your thread now, I promise. (I don't promise) :ninja:
Reply 43
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I did! It was really interesting. The bit with the elephant was fascinating, I found it really cool how they had to improvise with the hospital x-ray machine. Loved the bit with the vultures too. And the lil' panda cubs!

I'll stop invading your thread now, I promise. (I don't promise) :ninja:

Yeah! :biggrin: aw yeah the pandas were so cute! :tongue:

Noo it's fine, don't leave! It's interesting talking to older people :wink: It's just that there were people posting on the 2016 thread that they'll be 2017 applicants, but they haven't posted here... *whispers*come out from your hiding place
Original post by nox1
Yeah! :biggrin: aw yeah the pandas were so cute! :tongue:

Noo it's fine, don't leave! It's interesting talking to older people :wink: It's just that there were people posting on the 2016 thread that they'll be 2017 applicants, but they haven't posted here... *whispers*come out from your hiding place

Quote them :tongue:
Reply 45
Quote them :tongue:

Original post by Rachelmcl13
x

Original post by Jigsaw Puzzle
x

Original post by dolphin16
x

Hey guys, I saw your posts in the 2016 applicants thread a while ago, so just letting you know there's a 2017 thread now!! :biggrin:
Reply 46
Just had a great first day doing work experience a livery yard! The owner is a-m-a-z-i-n-g! He goes into so much detail when explaining things, and I have learned so much more about horses in one day than I thought I would in the whole week! I went to get experience with horses, but I've learned loads about their healthcare too. I still have the rest of the week to go, yay! :biggrin:
Original post by nox1
Just had a great first day doing work experience a livery yard! The owner is a-m-a-z-i-n-g! He goes into so much detail when explaining things, and I have learned so much more about horses in one day than I thought I would in the whole week! I went to get experience with horses, but I've learned loads about their healthcare too. I still have the rest of the week to go, yay! :biggrin:

Glad to hear that you're having a good time and that you're learning lots :h: ! I can't believe it's been two years since I was last on a stable, I went to one during the summer of year 10, as you're doing now :moon: . Anyway I hope the rest of the week is as good for you as today was :smile:
Reply 48
Glad to hear that you're having a good time and that you're learning lots :h: ! I can't believe it's been two years since I was last on a stable, I went to one during the summer of year 10, as you're doing now :moon: . Anyway I hope the rest of the week is as good for you as today was :smile:

That's quite a while! I think I'll try and go back closer to applying to refresh my memory and things, especially if I don't get many other horsey placements. Thanks!
Original post by nox1
That's quite a while! I think I'll try and go back closer to applying to refresh my memory and things, especially if I don't get many other horsey placements. Thanks!

Yep, I agree, so I'm going back there next week :smile: Hopefully all the ragworting has been done by now! :tongue:
Reply 50
Yep, I agree, so I'm going back there next week :smile: Hopefully all the ragworting has been done by now! :tongue:

Awesome, have fun! Haha yep!
Reply 51
Is anyone thinking of doing a vet-med based EPQ?
Hey i was one of those who posted in the 2016 thread but i managed to forget my password... hence the highly imaginative name change from dolphin16 to what it is now..... but hello fellow 2017 peoples!
Reply 53
Original post by dolphin166
Hey i was one of those who posted in the 2016 thread but i managed to forget my password... hence the highly imaginative name change from dolphin16 to what it is now..... but hello fellow 2017 peoples!

haha, hello! :biggrin: how are you doing with work experience? :smile:
Alright, i havent started booking many but ive done lambing, sheep farm, equine vet (which im at today :biggrin:) and some smallholding work... what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Alright, i havent started booking many but ive done lambing, sheep farm, equine vet (which im at today :biggrin:) and some smallholding work... what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh, sounds good. I really want to do lambing next year, waiting for the NSA list to come out XD I've done a week at a small animal & exotics vet and a week at a livery yard. I've booked a week at a pet shop and two weeks dairy farming. I've tried booking kennels and an equine vet for next year, but one said email back in January and the other said email back in May, so I'll hopefully get them sorted at some point! :rolleyes:

What're you taking for GCSE? (and A Level if you've decided) :smile:
Original post by nox1
Ooh, sounds good. I really want to do lambing next year, waiting for the NSA list to come out XD I've done a week at a small animal & exotics vet and a week at a livery yard. I've booked a week at a pet shop and two weeks dairy farming. I've tried booking kennels and an equine vet for next year, but one said email back in January and the other said email back in May, so I'll hopefully get them sorted at some point! :rolleyes:

What're you taking for GCSE? (and A Level if you've decided) :smile:

Wow someones been busy!!! Lambing is AMAZING youll love it (i hope you do anyway) do you get the issue of people refusing to take you till you are 16?
GCSEs ive taken triple science additional maths & stats , spanish, pe, philosophy and ethics, history, maths english lit and lang! A level obviously chemistry and biology, and then maths/physics and maybe history! You?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Wow someones been busy!!! Lambing is AMAZING youll love it (i hope you do anyway) do you get the issue of people refusing to take you till you are 16?
GCSEs ive taken triple science additional maths & stats , spanish, pe, philosophy and ethics, history, maths english lit and lang! A level obviously chemistry and biology, and then maths/physics and maybe history! You?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what everyone's said, which is why I really want to do it!! Even if I don't get to do it next year, I'd like to do it the year after. :biggrin:
Only about two places have refused because of age, one was a small animal vets and the other was a large animal vets (but the LA vets only take people over 18). Most of the time I just don't get a reply!! :angry: do you?
Wooaahhh that;s so similar to me!! :eek:
GCSE: Triple science, maths, additional maths, German, geography, history and PE.
A Level: Chemistry, Biology, Maths and then History to AS!
Original post by nox1
That's what everyone's said, which is why I really want to do it!! Even if I don't get to do it next year, I'd like to do it the year after. :biggrin:
Only about two places have refused because of age, one was a small animal vets and the other was a large animal vets (but the LA vets only take people over 18). Most of the time I just don't get a reply!! :angry: do you?
Wooaahhh that;s so similar to me!! :eek:
GCSE: Triple science, maths, additional maths, German, geography, history and PE.
A Level: Chemistry, Biology, Maths and then History to AS!

Erma gawd we're like twins who've never met :O maybe not but you get what i mean! Oh i keep getting no your not 16 yets, and i havent tried large animal yet cos the only ones in our area are westpoint and they only take uni students, or a mixed practice which i will try again when im 16 (theyve already said i need to be 16)! Ive phoned up so far for all of mine, and the ones ive emailed have replied in the end....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Erma gawd we're like twins who've never met :O maybe not but you get what i mean! Oh i keep getting no your not 16 yets, and i havent tried large animal yet cos the only ones in our area are westpoint and they only take uni students, or a mixed practice which i will try again when im 16 (theyve already said i need to be 16)! Ive phoned up so far for all of mine, and the ones ive emailed have replied in the end....

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha :tongue:
Ahh, okay. I phoned four dairy farmers, one I had emailed previously and not got a reply from said they don't take work experience, two said they already pupils who worked there every summer, and the final one gave me the email of their herd manager, who emailed me back within a few hours! :biggrin: I also phoned one large animal vets, who only take people over 16.I also emailed the livery yard after not getting a reply via email. As for emails, only 1/2 of them have replied. :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending