The Student Room Group

Freshers Week - for those who are already a bit worried by it

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
corax
x

Original post by 'Maika'
okay, different question:

My university doesn't offer any 'real' entertainment this year. The student union has organised an event every evening in the, I have to add, brand new student bar. Events such as 'Open Mic Night' or 'Music Quiz', free of charge.
As much as I enjoy these things, I've heard that many people are going to the lowercase or electric ents events, but you have to buy a wristband that's now at £30. Honestly, I have no intention of spending that much money on freshers events (and this is only to get in, just imagine how much one might spend on drinks).
So, my question is: is it possible to get into only one event of those and pay, say, £3-4? Because that would be the solution to all my problems ^^ I just don't want to miss out on those events, but I also don't want to go to all of them OR pay £30 :smile:
thanks

You should be happy it only costs £30!

We have to pay £60 for a freshers' fest plus ticket at the University of Birmingham!

As Corax has said, the University of Birmingham should have been awarded ''Most Expensive University of the Year 2013-14", seriously... :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 121
Original post by Grace .

We have to pay £60 for a freshers' fest plus ticket at the University of Birmingham!

As Corax has said, the University of Birmingham should have been awarded ''Most Expensive University of the Year 2013-14", seriously... :redface:

WHAT?? okay, so I'm lucky. I decided to buy a wristband and it was 25 as the price hadn't gone up yet. I feel kind of lucky now ^^
Just have fun enjoy yourself, no need to read books. Get out there lol
By now those starting Uni in Sept/Oct should have links to your Freshers timetable and can see the big range of activities planned at your University. Hopefully, this has calmed any fears a bit.

Anyone still feeling nervous or worried about all this?
Yes, just turn up and go with the flow. This is how you meet people. They will all be 'new' as well.

There is no expectation for flat mates to hang out together. If anything this is a bit pointless - you know them; now is the time to start talking to everyone else. 'Subject' events are exactly that - for people doing that subject. If you turn up with your flatmates, it'll look a bit weird.

Don't want to leave the house without your flatmates? What do you think is going to happen to you in broad daylight in a crowded University town?
Original post by Grace .

At Cardiff the standard one is £45, and the all inclusive (including freshers ball, and a pint glass, meal voucher, yo-yo, and other useless stuff) is £80!
Really freaking out tbh. Cutting a very long story short I got a place at Northumbria for psychology but after being allocated a room in accommodation I didn't even apply for I realised it was too expensive for me to go, even if I got a job. I pulled out and got a place at UCLan for Neuropsychology meaning I could live at home and commute to university therefore costing a lot less. Now I'm not even sure if I want to go anymore. The uni is so close to my house (15 minutes on the train) and I'm now thinking of changing my course to screenwriting. I'm not sure if I actually don't want to go or I'm just nervous about starting.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.
Original post by Anonymous #2
Really freaking out tbh. Cutting a very long story short I got a place at Northumbria for psychology but after being allocated a room in accommodation I didn't even apply for I realised it was too expensive for me to go, even if I got a job. I pulled out and got a place at UCLan for Neuropsychology meaning I could live at home and commute to university therefore costing a lot less. Now I'm not even sure if I want to go anymore. The uni is so close to my house (15 minutes on the train) and I'm now thinking of changing my course to screenwriting. I'm not sure if I actually don't want to go or I'm just nervous about starting.

I think it's best you take a gap year instead and sort out what you really want ! There's no rush to get in this year, you have many more years since you're young. :smile:
Original post by OnionRing
I think it's best you take a gap year instead and sort out what you really want ! There's no rush to get in this year, you have many more years since you're young. :smile:

Do you think? Aaah, really don't know.
Now I'm not even sure if I want to go anymore.

What you are feeling is very normal! All over the UK right now are thousands of other people also feeling nervous/excited/worried. Once you get there, you'll realise that its okay and it really is as wonderful as you thought it might be, and within a fortnight you'll have forgotten what you were so worried about - promise.
Do you think? Aaah, really don't know.

Well I think so but I'm a bit biased :tongue:

Worst case scenario would be to enrol then drop out...so you have to really make sure uclan is the one for you.

Hey - thought you were all sorted now - sorry to see you are still confused! Maybe it would be best to take a gap year if you are that unsure but you worked so hard to get here so think carefully - it could just be nerves. I know I get terrified if I think about it too much - just want to get freshers over and done with and get on with the course. Keep me posted as to what you do xx
Original post by returnmigrant
What you are feeling is very normal! All over the UK right now are thousands of other people also feeling nervous/excited/worried. Once you get there, you'll realise that its okay and it really is as wonderful as you thought it might be, and within a fortnight you'll have forgotten what you were so worried about - promise.

That's reassuring, thanks :smile:

Original post by OnionRing
Well I think so but I'm a bit biased :tongue:

Worst case scenario would be to enrol then drop out...so you have to really make sure uclan is the one for you.

I think I'm going to stick it out and see how it goes - thanks though :smile:
Original post by AmyPilot
Hey - thought you were all sorted now - sorry to see you are still confused! Maybe it would be best to take a gap year if you are that unsure but you worked so hard to get here so think carefully - it could just be nerves. I know I get terrified if I think about it too much - just want to get freshers over and done with and get on with the course. Keep me posted as to what you do xx

I thought I was sorted as well Amy haha! As I said above, think I'm going to stick it out and see how it goes. Did you get accommodation sorted? xx

I thought I was sorted as well Amy haha! As I said above, think I'm going to stick it out and see how it goes. Did you get accommodation sorted? xx

It will be an interesting course - just keep thinking about that and you will be fine.

Accommodation has been sorted (I think) but will feel more certain when I have the keys in my hand.

Take care :smile:
Original post by AmyPilot
It will be an interesting course - just keep thinking about that and you will be fine.

Accommodation has been sorted (I think) but will feel more certain when I have the keys in my hand.

Take care :smile:

That's good then!

You too :smile:

I'm at UCLan so feel free to PM me if you've got any questions.

What accommodation have you been given and what did you apply for?
Original post by charhardwick
What accommodation have you been given and what did you apply for?

I was given Manor Bank but applied for New Bridge, Liberty Quay and a few others I can't remember.

Original post by LukeyJB
I'm at UCLan so feel free to PM me if you've got any questions.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks :smile:
Thanks :smile: I don't drink and don't do clubbing and never will and I have been terrified that I wont make friends at university. It really doesn't help that some people (especially on here) have the attitude...you need to drink. I saw one thread where the person said they don't drink and another person tried to convince them to drink like it was the most important thing rather than trying to give genuine advice.

From my experience (not at university, I start in october but from stories I've heard and experiences I've had in sixth form). You can make friends with anyone. You don't need to drink. Nearly all my friends enjoy drink, a few enjoy clubbing. I am still great friends with them. People need to not have a "drinkers and non-drinkers" attitude. I could go to the pub and have a coke, rather than a pint. I can spend time with my friends and if they want to go clubbing I do something else.

Threads like these are great for helping boost confidence before university so thanks again! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending