The Student Room Group

Stationery for medicine?

Afternoon:smile:

At college, a pen, pencil, ruler, calculator and a notebook saw me through nicely but I imagine at medical school I'll need a lot more than this?

i have 2 major modules in first year. So should I start with a big black file folder?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Depends how you study. I had a notebook and a pen - that's it. Other people in my year had binders split up by topic full of printouts, highlighted phrases, post-it notes, etc...up to you how you study. Just need an organisational system that works for you, and then a method of note taking however you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Defo need two pens or more, if one runs out you might be up the stream without a paddle :\

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Depends how you study. I had a notebook and a pen - that's it. Other people in my year had binders split up by topic full of printouts, highlighted phrases, post-it notes, etc...up to you how you study. Just need an organisational system that works for you, and then a method of note taking however you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot! I prefer notebook than filing but how many notebooks did you go through a year?
Original post by OnionRing
Thanks a lot! I prefer notebook than filing but how many notebooks did you go through a year?

That depends how you study - I wrote A LOT by hand, and went through 2-3 180-200 page notebooks a year. That's because handwriting was a core part of my studying, but some people will use hand writing more sparsely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
That depends how you study - I wrote A LOT by hand, and went through 2-3 180-200 page notebooks a year. That's because handwriting was a core part of my studying, but some people will use hand writing more sparsely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome stuff! I'll consider it, thanks.
never take notes crew checking in.
Reply 7
I became very excited pre-university and bought a ton of stationary for medical school. Most of it is still sitting in a drawer under my desk. You really just need a pen, paper and somewhere to stuff it all in (and calculator if you've got some statistics exam).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by shiggydiggy

Original post by Angury
I became very excited pre-university and bought a ton of stationary for medical school. Most of it is still sitting in a drawer under my desk. You really just need a pen, paper and somewhere to stuff it all in (and calculator if you've got some statistics exam).

As long as you guys have passed your exams, this makes me feel better:smile:
Colouring in pencils will help you
Does an iPad count as stationary
As long as you guys have passed your exams, this makes me feel better:smile:

Yeah but I've probably got a small touch of the autism so win some, lose some.
Reply 12
Original post by Mubariz
Colouring in pencils will help you

Oh yeah I heard about this and anatomy revision thanks.
Oh yeah I heard about this and anatomy revision thanks.

Actually Highlighters will probably be better for colouring in notes, when you colour code notes it's much easier to revise

I don't do any of this but some friends do and it helps them
Reply 14
Original post by Mubariz
Actually Highlighters will probably be better for colouring in notes, when you colour code notes it's much easier to revise

I don't do any of this but some friends do and it helps them

Colouring code notes will look better indeed but effort but better!
I use written notes - so narrow ruled a4 and a 4 colour clicky pen. Then I make all my notes into revision cards (oh yes) so I use about 600 note cards too. But that's me. Go with whatever makes sense to you. After a semester you'll figure it out :smile:
Reply 16

Ha, I was thinking I was the only one who did this. The people at uni seem to think it's crazy!
Reply 17
Original post by ab192
Ha, I was thinking I was the only one who did this. The people at uni seem to think it's crazy!

May I ask how do you take in information if you don't take notes?
Do you just use lecture slides and textbooks?
May I ask how do you take in information if you don't take notes?
Do you just use lecture slides and textbooks?

I've never understood why people come into lectures with a huge pad of paper, and sit there copying down everything that is already on the lecture slide practically word for word

But yes, lecture slides cover everything you need, and if you want some background info then there's textbooks/internet
Reply 19
Original post by bertstare
I've never understood why people come into lectures with a huge pad of paper, and sit there copying down everything that is already on the lecture slide practically word for word

But yes, lecture slides cover everything you need, and if you want some background info then there's textbooks/internet

I see !
Although writing things does make me retain information more easily especially if I write it in my own words :smile: but then I can do this after lectures!

Quick Reply

Latest