The Student Room Group

Why is english language such a contrast from english literature?

For a majority of my english GCSE, I have enjoyed english literature. It's deep, full of themes and allows me to form creative points when doing essays. However, in the final couple of months (when we moved on to english language) I completely flopped. It took me ages to realise that language is more of a comprehension like task which only requires a point and some evidence, with the rare use of an explanation.

Why is it so different? Adjusting to that type of work is really frustrating D:
Original post by HarryMart1n
For a majority of my english GCSE, I have enjoyed english literature. It's deep, full of themes and allows me to form creative points when doing essays. However, in the final couple of months (when we moved on to english language) I completely flopped. It took me ages to realise that language is more of a comprehension like task which only requires a point and some evidence, with the rare use of an explanation.

Why is it so different? Adjusting to that type of work is really frustrating D:

As they're actually 2 different qualifications, they're bound to be different :yep: You need to try and think of them separately, and even in the worst case scenario for Language, it isn't going to affect your Lit grade :smile:

I always found in Language that it focused on your own writing more, but in our classes we didn't really differentiate until it came to revising. Have you done any exams yet for Lit/Lang?
Reply 2
Original post by Gingerbread101
As they're actually 2 different qualifications, they're bound to be different :yep: You need to try and think of them separately, and even in the worst case scenario for Language, it isn't going to affect your Lit grade :smile:

I always found in Language that it focused on your own writing more, but in our classes we didn't really differentiate until it came to revising. Have you done any exams yet for Lit/Lang?

I did them months ago :tongue: Nearing the final lessons I managed to jump from a swoop (54%) to an A* (94%) and I don't really know what to think of that.. :s-smilie:
Original post by HarryMart1n
I did them months ago :tongue: Nearing the final lessons I managed to jump from a swoop (54%) to an A* (94%) and I don't really know what to think of that.. :s-smilie:

Once you get the hang of it it seems to get a lot easier, if you managed to do it once in the lessons then what you did would probably have been replicated in your exam :smile:
Reply 4
Developed during time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Gingerbread101
Once you get the hang of it it seems to get a lot easier, if you managed to do it once in the lessons then what you did would probably have been replicated in your exam :smile:

I hope so, aha! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest