The Student Room Group

chemistry electrolysis help

hey guys!! its my holidays now but i haven't been paying attention AT ALL in the whole of year 7,8,9 and 10. i have been slacking off and just been on social networks everyday. im trying to get back on track and im currently stuck on electrolysis. what does it mean by, "Electrons are taken away by the positive electrode and given away by the negative electrode. As ions gain or lose electrons, they become atoms or molecules and are released." ? thank you in advance@!!!!
Reply 1
Original post by ashleyxxx
hey guys!! its my holidays now but i haven't been paying attention AT ALL in the whole of year 7,8,9 and 10. i have been slacking off and just been on social networks everyday. im trying to get back on track and im currently stuck on electrolysis. what does it mean by, "Electrons are taken away by the positive electrode and given away by the negative electrode. As ions gain or lose electrons, they become atoms or molecules and are released." ? thank you in advance@!!!!

Try watching this :smile:

Feel free to PM me if you need any more help, but I think that video should explain it all :h:

You have the electrolyte (solution with all the ions floating around). You have two oppositely charged rods ( cathode- negative and anode- positive). These are submerged in the electrolyte. Cations ( positive ions) are attracted to the cathode where they gain electrons to lose their positivr charge and become elements. Anions ( negative ions) are attracted to the anode and they lose their electrons and thus their negative charge becoming neutral elements. The two rods are connected and electrons flow from the anode to the cathode creating a circuit hence their is an electric current and it's called electrolysis.
I actually made a thread on this because I didn't understand it either... but here it is...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2625877
Reply 4
Original post by Trihawk7
I actually made a thread on this because I didn't understand it either... but here it is...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2625877

Thank you so much!!
Reply 5
Original post by Neuth
Try watching this :smile:

Feel free to PM me if you need any more help, but I think that video should explain it all :h:

I will watch it!! Thank you!! XX
Reply 6
Original post by Spelly456
You have the electrolyte (solution with all the ions floating around). You have two oppositely charged rods ( cathode- negative and anode- positive). These are submerged in the electrolyte. Cations ( positive ions) are attracted to the cathode where they gain electrons to lose their positivr charge and become elements. Anions ( negative ions) are attracted to the anode and they lose their electrons and thus their negative charge becoming neutral elements. The two rods are connected and electrons flow from the anode to the cathode creating a circuit hence their is an electric current and it's called electrolysis.

Your last sentence is so freaking useful, and I really needed that!' THANK YOU ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™
Reply 7
I will watch it!! Thank you!! XX

You're welcome! :h:

All of the mygcsescience videos are really good and they cover every topic :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest